Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Inflight Purchase Receipt for Flight I didn't take

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle

Hi All,

Was scheduled to fly IAD-IAH a couple days back, but due to a change in plans, I cancelled the trip approximately 6 hours prior to departure, and received a future travel credit.

Fast forward to today, and I received an Inflight Purchase Receipt for food on that flight (which I didn't take). And verified that my credit card was charged $10.

Anyone run into this issue before? Wondering if it has something to do with UA's contactless payment feature? Perhaps the hand-helds that the FAs use weren't updated between when I cancelled my ticket and departure?
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Sounds exactly like what you say - probably for some reason the on-board system still had you sitting in whatever seat and billed you for that pax's food order.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
ugh, dispute it. Really unacceptable.
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
Sounds exactly like what you say - probably for some reason the on-board system still had you sitting in whatever seat and billed you for that pax's food order.
This is a major, major flaw that needs to be corrected immediately - the opportunity for deliberate fraud is obvious - someone can swap seats with another for the specific purpose of running up a steep bill for food and beverage purchases and letting it hit their account.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This is a major, major flaw that needs to be corrected immediately - the opportunity for deliberate fraud is obvious - someone can swap seats with another for the specific purpose of running up a steep bill for food and beverage purchases and letting it hit their account.
Given the service timing, how steep of a bill can you really run up?
Old Mar 24, 2022, 2:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by IAHflyer182
Hi All,

Was scheduled to fly IAD-IAH a couple days back, but due to a change in plans, I cancelled the trip approximately 6 hours prior to departure, and received a future travel credit.

Fast forward to today, and I received an Inflight Purchase Receipt for food on that flight (which I didn't take). And verified that my credit card was charged $10.

Anyone run into this issue before? Wondering if it has something to do with UA's contactless payment feature? Perhaps the hand-helds that the FAs use weren't updated between when I cancelled my ticket and departure?
I would report it to UA. It is probably a glitch of some sort - it doesn't make sense that the handheld wouldn't update in the six hours before the flight. Lots of seat changes occur in the run up before the flight. I'm pretty sure they are also connected to wifi as I believe I've received an email receipt for onboard purchases while on the flight.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Another reason to decline seat swap requests! Though even that seems hard to execute - first you have to convince someone to swap seats. Then you have to hope they've loaded a credit card - not everyone does - and third you have to get the attention of the FA to serve you a drink.

I wouldn't call it a major flaw - it's an issue they need to address. But seat swapping isn't what happened here - it appears to be some really slow IT updating of seat occupants. Given you can change your seat up to an hour or so before the flight in the app, UA needs to figure out how to prevent errors like this . . . unless it's a one-off.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
While not the issue here, seat swapping can result in error charges. The easy remedy would be for the FA verifying the name of the pax before processing the payment. I don't really see FAs doing that at all.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Quick update. I've contacted United about this. They tell me that they can't locate my ticket number in their system anymore? I can't tell if this is because I cancelled it or not. But, they can't issue a refund on "inflight purchases" if they can't pull up the ticket in their system.
So United has advised me to contact Chase (this is a MP Visa), and report as fraud. It's not...the email receipt is from [email protected], and the credit card charge is from United, just like all other purchases from them.

I'm in absolute shock. Unacceptable that they can charge someones credit card and not find record of it a day later.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Quick update. I've contacted United about this. They tell me that they can't locate my ticket number in their system anymore? I can't tell if this is because I cancelled it or not. But, they can't issue a refund on "inflight purchases" if they can't pull up the ticket in their system.
So United has advised me to contact Chase (this is a MP Visa), and report as fraud. It's not...the email receipt is from [email protected], and the credit card charge is from United, just like all other purchases from them.

I'm in absolute shock. Unacceptable that they can charge someones credit card and not find record of it a day later.
{S}o instead of making an FA take a personal credit card on board -- it's no longer safe and too risky -- due to COVID -- so to protect to their employees UA relies on their systems based on seat numbers -- and this won't be the first report here - and tbh I'm surprised this is the first report here since they started this "enhanced safety protocol"...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 24, 2022 at 7:28 pm Reason: Let's not go OMNI/PR here
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... They tell me that they can't locate my ticket number in their system anymore? .....
If you kept the ticket receipt the ticket number is there.
If not, your credit card statement probably shows the ticket number (Chase and BofA do)
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

No, it is. UA is asking you report themselves as fraudsters. This is fraud. Glad UA agrees.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I thought all inflight purchases have their own 016 like numbers, no?

Either way, there has to be some identifying information from the inflight purchase receipt.

UA passing the buck to the bank is really unprofessional.
halls120 and drewguy like this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you kept the ticket receipt the ticket number is there.
If not, your credit card statement probably shows the ticket number (Chase and BofA do)
EXACTLY -- and you can use this to get your money back -- but what has the world come to when someone who cancels their flight -- so long before departure -- has to prove to UA and the CC company that they didn't make the purchase because they weren't even on the plane -- and the only reason that this passenger was charged because at one point in the past they had chosen that seat on a seat map? Why is the burden always on the victim? UA charged someone who wasn't even on the plane for a purchase they never made -- and then makes them jump through hoops to prove it?
SPN Lifer, zombietooth and narvik like this.

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Mar 24, 2022 at 9:25 pm
Old Mar 24, 2022, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA MM
I thought the FAs always asked the passenger for their name when making a purchase. No?
bmwe92fan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.