Re-Schedule or Cancel and Re-book later

Old Mar 23, 22, 3:21 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Earth
Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Posts: 936
Re-Schedule or Cancel and Re-book later

I have a itinerary coming up with a departure on 2APR DSM-BKK. I know I will not be able to fly out on 2APR, and I知 not entirely sure when I値l be able to make the trip, although it will be sometime in next three months. My question: since there are no change fees currently, should I re-book the itinerary a few weeks out hoping I値l be able to fly then, but knowing there are no change fees being able to change it as many times as I need to ? OR should I just cancel the itinerary now, and use the credit to re-book the itinerary when I know for sure I値l be able to fly?
n198ua is offline  
Old Mar 23, 22, 4:00 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Posts: 2,906
Originally Posted by n198ua View Post
I have a itinerary coming up with a departure on 2APR DSM-BKK. I know I will not be able to fly out on 2APR, and I知 not entirely sure when I値l be able to make the trip, although it will be sometime in next three months. My question: since there are no change fees currently, should I re-book the itinerary a few weeks out hoping I値l be able to fly then, but knowing there are no change fees being able to change it as many times as I need to ? OR should I just cancel the itinerary now, and use the credit to re-book the itinerary when I know for sure I値l be able to fly?
There's no real benefit from your standpoint to cancel now, as long as you remember to do something prior to April 2nd.

But if at any time between now and then you see an itinerary further out that you might want to take with ideal price/routing/etc., then I would make the change.
econ is offline  
Old Mar 23, 22, 4:21 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 13,699
Originally Posted by n198ua View Post
I have a itinerary coming up with a departure on 2APR DSM-BKK. I know I will not be able to fly out on 2APR, and I知 not entirely sure when I値l be able to make the trip, although it will be sometime in next three months. My question: since there are no change fees currently, should I re-book the itinerary a few weeks out hoping I値l be able to fly then, but knowing there are no change fees being able to change it as many times as I need to ? OR should I just cancel the itinerary now, and use the credit to re-book the itinerary when I know for sure I値l be able to fly?
when you change to the flights you will eventually want, you値l be charged the fare at the time you confirm the new itinerary. It only matters in so much of what that fare is at the time. If you have an idea of potential new dates, and the fare is good now, might as well grab it, then change again if the flights you actually want are different. If you don稚 change again, you値l keep the fare you like. If you have no clue yet, you can either cancel now or wait until closer to your flight. 2 things to be cognizant of: first, make sure you cancel before the flight leavesor check in cutoff if you don稚 check in - if you don稚, you値l lose the value of the ticket. Second, give yourself some buffer time before this - the website can fail once in a while, and if you are up against the time, and it errs, it痴 very easy to miss the deadline.

as for canceling and rebooking, vs. just changing - it makes no difference - 祖ancelling essentially is just a change, but deciding the new itinerary later vs. right away. Some people like waiting until closer to the flight to cancel, as if there痴 a major schedule change or IRROPS with a long delay/cancelation, you can get a full refund. But if you池e planning on using the funds anyway, might not matter much, since you値l have the funds ready to use.
emcampbe is offline  
Old Mar 23, 22, 5:37 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Posts: 2,906
The other consideration between change vs. cancel/rebook with credits is that I'd assume the later option may preclude any future refund option for irrops/significant schedule change (obviously one could still get a UA credit) or any credit card related protections (e.g. trip delay/baggage delay coverage). Assuming original itinerary was booked with "new" funds from CC.
econ is offline  
Old Mar 23, 22, 11:43 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Earth
Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Posts: 936
Ok so my trip is in premium economy. I’ve found new dates where there will be no up-charge to change, however when I go to the actual change process and select these flights, premium economy is either showing “not available” or UA is wanting like $1000 more each way. What gives?
n198ua is offline  
Old Mar 24, 22, 12:05 am
  #6  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 59,977
Originally Posted by n198ua View Post
Ok so my trip is in premium economy. I’ve found new dates where there will be no up-charge to change, however when I go to the actual change process and select these flights, premium economy is either showing “not available” or UA is wanting like $1000 more each way. What gives?
Change flight process is problematic at times. When this happens, cancel and do a new booking using the FFC on the payment page

Issues with UA's online rebooking: Missing flights, higher prices, changed cabin, ..
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Mar 24, 22, 12:34 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Earth
Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Posts: 936
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Change flight process is problematic at times. When this happens, cancel and do a new booking using the FFC on the payment page

Issues with UA's online rebooking: Missing flights, higher prices, changed cabin, ..
Thanks, I was just going to ask if this is what I should do. So, I’ll cancel my BKK PNR, then price the new itinerary and use the credit from the first PNR to pay, right? I also have $400 in my travel bank in case it goes over a bit, but I see no option on the pay screen to use this. Does this have to be done with a phone agent? EDIT for additional question: Does anyone know why when changing flights on united.com; you only have the option to select a new date less than 30 days out, or is this a glitch?

Last edited by n198ua; Mar 24, 22 at 7:24 am Reason: ? Re: # of days out to choose for new date
n198ua is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 9:52 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Earth
Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Posts: 936
UPDATE: Now re-booked, crazy experience

I値l try and make this as short as possible, I want to just share with you my experience with UA and getting this ticket rebooked.

I called yesterday and spoke with someone on the international desk and let them know that I found a new itinerary on google flights that priced out correctly on United.com; I wanted to make the change. She told me the easiest and quickest way to do this would be to cancel the ticket and re-book with the new itinerary. She could do this for me and it wouldn稚 take long. Fine - lets do it. This is when the craziness started.

She cancelled the ticket and input the new itinerary. When setting up the new itinerary, she wasn稚 able to get me into the premium economy cabin, she couldn稚 get the ticket to price out correctly, and she couldn稚 get to the screen to even get me seat assignments. She told me she壇 have to build the itinerary flight-by-flight but it would take some time, I said that was fine. 40 minutes later and back on the line ,she could only get me on the flights if booked into B and Y fare-class, and the ticket was pricing out $6000 higher than it should. This is when she told me she壇 contact her pricing desk to get it fixed. I said fine. 45 minutes later and back on the line, the pricing desk couldn稚 get me into premium economy, but had built an entirely new itinerary going into different cities and in the economy cabin only (not premium economy) and told me this is what I would have to do. Why? I paid for premium economy, so I壇 be flying half-way around the world and if I even wanted E+, I壇 have to pay for it. I was very very frustrated, I told her just to cancel the whole thing and I壇 worry about it later, and thats what she did.

I emailed the Twitter desk with a screen-shot from United.com and Google Flights showing the flights I wanted and how it booked out correctly. It took overnight, but they got back to me with the correct itinerary booked, into the premium economy cabin where available, and E+ for free on the other flights. They just needed to collect $31 to book and ticket. I called United, remitted the payment and I知 good to go.

While I知 so thankful to the Twitter team for getting this done, what in the world happened on the phone? Any idea what was going on and why they couldn稚 get this to book and price at all? And I still don稚 understand why they wanted me to book and fly the itinerary in economy when I had a premium economy reservation?

Apologies for the length; I just wanted to share my experience. I知 very thankful to whoever works the Twitter desk for getting this done for me.
n198ua is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 10:02 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC / TYO / Up in the Air
Programs: UA GS 1.5MM, AA 2MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Posts: 4,802
Originally Posted by n198ua View Post
I値l try and make this as short as possible, I want to just share with you my experience with UA and getting this ticket rebooked.

While I知 so thankful to the Twitter team for getting this done, what in the world happened on the phone? Any idea what was going on and why they couldn稚 get this to book and price at all? And I still don稚 understand why they wanted me to book and fly the itinerary in economy when I had a premium economy reservation?

Apologies for the length; I just wanted to share my experience. I知 very thankful to whoever works the Twitter desk for getting this done for me.
Even with the GS line I've run into agents (much more frequently in the past year) that don't know the rules and don't know how to do certain things -- perhaps they are new -- but my consistent response has been thank you I'll handle it on my own -- and then I call back and try again....
bmwe92fan is online now  
Old Mar 25, 22, 10:18 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Earth
Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Posts: 936
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan View Post
Even with the GS line I've run into agents (much more frequently in the past year) that don't know the rules and don't know how to do certain things -- perhaps they are new -- but my consistent response has been thank you I'll handle it on my own -- and then I call back and try again....
She told me whoever she talked to at the pricing desk told her the itinerary I wanted to book was an 妬llegal itinerary. I didn稚 just come up with it on my own - I pulled it right from the web site.
n198ua is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 10:37 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8,472
Originally Posted by n198ua View Post
She told me whoever she talked to at the pricing desk told her the itinerary I wanted to book was an 妬llegal itinerary. I didn稚 just come up with it on my own - I pulled it right from the web site.
I recently had a similar kind of difficulty rebooking (needed to change, so cancelled, went to rebook, used google flights to set routing, but could not get FFC to show up at checkout). What I wound up doing was just booking the new ticket with credit card, then calling up and giving the agent both records to reconstruct on the original ticket and cancel/refund the new one. I think having the new itinerary fully ticketed helped, and overall it did take about half an hour, but it went relatively smoothly. Not ideal having an extra $1.5k on the credit card for a few days, but they took away the pay at airport option so that was all I could see to do. In your case, if I was getting some something about "illegal" itinerary, I'd have been inclined to say let's leave it alone and then call back to try again probably a sign the agent / price desk didn't know what they were looking at.
fumje is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 10:58 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Earth
Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Posts: 936
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
I recently had a similar kind of difficulty rebooking (needed to change, so cancelled, went to rebook, used google flights to set routing, but could not get FFC to show up at checkout). What I wound up doing was just booking the new ticket with credit card, then calling up and giving the agent both records to reconstruct on the original ticket and cancel/refund the new one. I think having the new itinerary fully ticketed helped, and overall it did take about half an hour, but it went relatively smoothly. Not ideal having an extra $1.5k on the credit card for a few days, but they took away the pay at airport option so that was all I could see to do. In your case, if I was getting some something about "illegal" itinerary, I'd have been inclined to say let's leave it alone and then call back to try again probably a sign the agent / price desk didn't know what they were looking at.
Very similar to my situation. After my phone convo I tried for hours to get the FFC to show up at checkout, no dice. Tried different browsers, the app, browser on phone- nada, just wouldn稚 come up.
n198ua is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 12:25 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO, USA
Programs: AA Gold, Lowly kettle across UA, DL, Hyatt, ATK, IHG, Bonvoy.
Posts: 692
I had a free flight change from the previous itinerary, so this might be a different situation. The main issue I had with rebooking the existing itinerary was that I could only move the itinerary 24 hours either way, so I took the cancel/refund to FFC option. Would have worked like a charm if my wife's work (reason for cancellation) had approved her moved vacation on Friday instead of Monday. That cost us an extra $300 (international J, so not as painful as it could have been.)
iplaybass is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 2:33 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Earth
Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Posts: 936
I知 just glad to get it ticketed and rebooked when I did; itin痴 to BKK when I want to go have been going up my 10痴 to 100痴 of dollars each day i致e been watching; in one case over $400 all the way out to the end of June.
iplaybass likes this.
n198ua is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 4:46 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO, USA
Programs: AA Gold, Lowly kettle across UA, DL, Hyatt, ATK, IHG, Bonvoy.
Posts: 692
Originally Posted by n198ua View Post
I知 just glad to get it ticketed and rebooked when I did; itin痴 to BKK when I want to go have been going up my 10痴 to 100痴 of dollars each day i致e been watching; in one case over $400 all the way out to the end of June.
Same here. Our itinerary is pricing at $3600 more for two today. I consider only paying $300 for two as a win. Full disclosure, we could have routed differently for the original price, but decided it was worth $300 to avoid 6 hour layovers in EWR each way.
iplaybass is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread