Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mixed Cabin UA Booking, flight perks?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Mixed Cabin UA Booking, flight perks?

I'm booking a flight SFO-IAD-SYR in business class. SFO-IAD is in business class, while the IAD-SYR aircraft is Economy only. My question is will IAD-SYR have business class perks? For example, I know the seat will be bad, but can I still board first, free booze, etc? Will the boarding pass still note Business Class even thought the plane has no biz seating?
Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Not sure why you think you will get Business Class perks without a Business Class on the plane? Or there is a Business Class, but you didn't get assigned to it?
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Not sure why you think you will get Business Class perks without a Business Class on the plane? Or there is a Business Class, but you didn't get assigned to it?
It's a small craft without business seating.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by cheaptom
It's a small craft without business seating.
Then, AFAIK, no Business Class perks.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
I expect you will only get the perks your status provides. Look on the website to see if UA is offering to sell you Premium Access for that flight.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
If you're paying for business, I highly recommend you avoid the CRJ-200s. Why not route through ORD or EWR, or take the A319 IAD-SYR?
Old Mar 22, 2022, 2:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cheaptom
I'm booking a flight SFO-IAD-SYR in business class. SFO-IAD is in business class, while the IAD-SYR aircraft is Economy only. My question is will IAD-SYR have business class perks? ....
You will generally get the perks of the cabin you are booked into or the status you have --- however you should get the checked bag allowance for the highest cabin for your travel day.

With a single class aircraft, they are not setup to provide anything but that single cabin "perks" -- which aren't much for a CRJ-200.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boat stuck
If you're paying for business, I highly recommend you avoid the CRJ-200s. Why not route through ORD or EWR, or take the A319 IAD-SYR?
That is definitely my preference (like you said, I am paying for business). But availability into SYR and many other regionals are getting harder and harder to find. I have time and haven't booked yet as I weight the options.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
SFO- IAD is marketed as “First” not “Business” and does not get United Club access. The same cabin from SFO-EWR gets the “Business” label and does get lounge access at either end.

I also see CRJ550s to Syracuse from EWR.

Ticket might be more expensive.
SPN Lifer and nexus7556 like this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 4:12 pm

Question Business class perks on a mixed cabin itinerary?

Flying a short distance economy to a Hub, then business on a transcontinental (Specifically LAX-SFO-ICN); same ticket.

Would I have the full benefits of a business traveler for the entire journey (business check-in line at LAX; LAX lounge), or would they not kick in until I get to SFO?
Old Jun 5, 2022, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Full benefits, including Polaris lounge at LAX.

btw, that's intercontinental. Transcontinental would be SFO-EWR.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You will generally get the perks of the cabin you are booked into or the status you have --- however you should get the checked bag allowance for the highest cabin for your travel day.

With a single class aircraft, they are not setup to provide anything but that single cabin "perks" -- which aren't much for a CRJ-200.
While I agree you're correct, they're certainly set up to offer a free drink to 1Ks on that flight. I don't see why they couldn't do it for people on J fares.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Full benefits, including Polaris lounge at LAX.

btw, that's intercontinental. Transcontinental would be SFO-EWR.
I believe Polaris lounge at LAX would assume that UA operates the SFO-ICN flight. If flying another carrier on that leg, I believe admission would only be at SFO.

In fact, lounge access of any type at LAX depends upon either flying UA overwater or having *G status (from UA or otherwise).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 5:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
While I agree you're correct, they're certainly set up to offer a free drink to 1Ks on that flight. I don't see why they couldn't do it for people on J fares.
But there are no J fares on those single cabin flights. And UA will claim the ticket was priced as an economy fare even thought the overall ticket was a J -class fare.

Long discussion of this in Booked business fare, connection was 1-class Y, now 2-class, shouldn't I be put in F?
or why no E+ access -- that has its own thread No free E+ for non-elite on standard award or business ticket on 1-class UX ?[merged]
canadiancow and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 5:49 pm

Programs: ba silver
You MAY get some priority services on your second flight such as boarding group.

I remember getting Priority access on AA ( including lounge access) on the all-economy portion of a J tickets.

Also, you on case of IROPs day of if you have a J award that requires rebooking you MIGHT bay able to get rebooked on flights through another hub that have first class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.