Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Marrying Unmarried Segments -- concerned of irrops with separate segments

Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA

Hello all. Is there any way to marry two currently unmarried segments? Here's the situation: booked round trip from LAX to ZRH, with return on AC through YVR. There's a schedule change and we switch to a different flight from YVR to LAX. However, this caused ZRH-YVR-LAX to show up as "Waitlist" so I called, and an agent was able to move me to ZRH-EWR-LAX, but these segments aren't married. I called and an agent today said that they were unable to marry the segments because there was no more P class availability. Should I be concerned that the segments aren't married? Is there a way to marry them?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I am very confused what you mean by married segments. Married segment refers to something else. What exactly is the nature of your concern?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

My concern is with regards to irrops. The two segments aren't linked/married so if there is a delay in ZRH-EWR, would we be automatically reaccommodated on EWR-LAX?

Edit: to elaborate, ZRH-EWR and EWR-LAX do not show up as two flights with a connection in between them, they show up as completely unlinked. The agent confirmed this in their system, and said that they referred to these as unmarried segments.

Last edited by angetenar; Mar 14, 2022 at 7:53 pm Reason: More details
Old Mar 14, 2022, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angetenar
My concern is with regards to irrops. The two segments aren't linked/married so if there is a delay in ZRH-EWR, would we be automatically reaccommodated on EWR-LAX?
What do you mean by they aren't linked . Are they on the same ticket? Then you are all set. If they are on separate tickets then that is a problem, but you were writing about a round-trip, so that doesn't make sense. I don't understand what you mean by 'they aren't linked/married'. Are you concerned united.dumb doesn't show it as a 'connection'? That is completely meaningless. Like the below for my upcoming trip to MSY? That is inconsequential.

Old Mar 14, 2022, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Yes, they don't show up as a connection. My concern was about delays at EWR getting through customs/security, but if it is inconsequential, that's good to hear.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angetenar
Yes, they don't show up as a connection. My concern was about delays at EWR getting through customs/security, but if it is inconsequential, that's good to hear.
There are many reasons why they may show up as separate segments (in my case, different fares and classes). As long as they are on the same ticket or PNR then it will not be an issue at all. Bags get checked through (needs re-check at EWR) and you will get both BPs in ZRH. If ZHR-EWR is delayed or cancelled you'll get re-booked no problem.
angetenar and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Separate segments do not need to be married to have irrops protection. Being on a single PNR/ticket is sufficent
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
OP, breathe deep. You're okay. Don't worry about it - hopefully UA will get you home on time, but if you get stranded in EWR, UA has your back (on the next avialble flight).
Old Mar 15, 2022, 12:25 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Married segments refers to something else - it's a revenue management tool.
For example, if an airline wants to sell a ticket A>B>C in fare class X, but does not want to sell a ticket A>B in class X, it will provide married segment availability in class X only on A>B>C, but not on A>B. That's it. It has nothing to do with operations (irregular or normal).

In your case - as long as all your segments are on a single ticket, you are protected in case of irrops.
Mwenenzi and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the guidance everyone.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Echoing the above... as long as your segments are in the same PNR, you have IRROPS protection. Whether it's delivered is certainly something different!

Married segment logic is relevant to pricing, fare construction and inventory under normal circumstances. In IRROPS, restrictions on married segment logic generally are waived/relaxed, so it's really nothing to worry about in your case. IMO, married segments are more of a pre-travel annoyance (e.g., trying to change single segments of a married-segment itineary with variability in inventory, award tickets, repricing, etc.) than an IRROPS headache.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.