Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

First Class UA award seats cheaper than Economy

Old Mar 13, 2022, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

Strange to see an inverted award chart, with FC less expensive than Y? These are flights from EWR-GSO in October, with wide open seat maps but 0 paid fare availability below E fares around $620. Skip the first offered flight and note the other three. Normally Y saver fares are as low as 7.5k miles. Also not sure what my Premier and Cardmember status is getting me.

Old Mar 13, 2022, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Not really strange when there's saver F and market rate Y.
freeagent likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
happens all the time.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 13, 2022 at 8:21 pm Reason: No need for snark
Old Mar 13, 2022, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Strange to see an inverted award chart, with FC less expensive than Y? These are flights from EWR-GSO in October, with wide open seat maps but 0 paid fare availability below E fares around $620. Skip the first offered flight and note the other three. Normally Y saver fares are as low as 7.5k miles. Also not sure what my Premier and Cardmember status is getting me.

img
Main question already answered.

The message about Premier / Cardmember means you're accessing XN or IN when X or I is unavailable. In this case obviously not XN.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yes, Ive seen this before. Specifically [relatively] recently when I was almost doing a last minute trip to Canada around Xmas - the week before. Y seats were something like 65K miles OW, but got F (with the majority on a lie flat 777) for something like 53K. Yes - all of these numbers are high - in lighter travel season, and with chart pricing was a 12.5K/25K for a OW award. But given the requisite F fare was something like $3K, and even the Y fare was something close to 1K, miles was the easy choice, and in F. Return I booked something around the same price for PP, which was only a couple of thousand more miles than Y.

High leisure and low business demand will bring this kind of pricing - so this will happen on many kinds of holidays.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
happens all the time.

That could be but it's terrible RM. I thought Kirby put an investor day slide out a few years ago that they were going to fix RM.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by mduell
Not really strange when there's saver F and market rate Y.
It might not be unusual but it seems very strange to me.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by audio-nut
That could be but it's terrible RM. I thought Kirby put an investor day slide out a few years ago that they were going to fix RM.
I see it a lot with 763 high-J ... just not a plane with a config that makes a lot of sense with business travel still very depressed. UA got these for the business-heavy routes and it made sense when that investment was made. Currently that's tough to 'fill'
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by cfischer
I see it a lot with 763 high-J ... just not a plane with a config that makes a lot of sense with business travel still very depressed. UA got these for the business-heavy routes and it made sense when that investment was made. Currently that's tough to 'fill'
Inventory-demand mismatch could explain J pricing approaching Y pricing, but not actually crossing it. For that to make sense, there must be some market that actually prefers Y over J and I don't think any of us would buy that.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uiucengineer
Inventory-demand mismatch could explain J pricing approaching Y pricing, but not actually crossing it. For that to make sense, there must be some market that actually prefers Y over J and I don't think any of us would buy that.
that is only true for cash pricing and not for award pricing. There can be high Y demand and UA does not open X/XN and only offer YN whereas there is IN available. Actually happens not too infrequently, depending on the routes you are searching. I have seen a lot when searching (and finding/booking) 40k IN to Hawaii when YN was 60k. Without access to IN it will happen very very rarely.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by uiucengineer
Cash fares are priced differentially, which prevents such a cross from occurring regardless of inventory.

If award fares are not, then it is fairly straightforward for an "empty" premium cabin to price lower than Y for award tickets.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Lessons to learn from OP's observations?

I do not fly UA a lot, but do have the MP Explorer Card. I currently have award flights booked to OGG over Christmas.

My takeaway from the OP is that I should occasionally scan award availability to see if FC awards pop-up later.

Correct? Can't hurt, since all that I have to lose is a little of my time. If so, thanks for the observations, OP!
tarheelnj and narvik like this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by loomis
I do not fly UA a lot, but do have the MP Explorer Card. I currently have award flights booked to OGG over Christmas.

My takeaway from the OP is that I should occasionally scan award availability to see if FC awards pop-up later.

Correct? Can't hurt, since all that I have to lose is a little of my time. If so, thanks for the observations, OP!
There is a lot, but it is pretty much only IN for which you need Platinum or higher. Doesn't hurt to check, but I to HI is not something you usually ever see.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
The short answer is that MileagePlus partners pay more for IN awards than XN awards. (Generally speaking it’s hard to book YN awards via partners although not necessarily impossible.)

The glitch is that United doesn’t block this situation off from its own customers. Let’s not give them any ideas though.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist

Happens for cash fares as well. It makes sense when there is a scarce commodity like economy seats and some businesses have a mandatory economy booking policy, it's in United's best interest to extract more value from the economy seat although most leisure or sensible travelers would definitely choose the premium seat.
nexus7556, SPN Lifer and narvik like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.