Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IRROPS during partner award travel overseas—best way to rebook?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2022, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Currently stuck at IST with connecting flight to MLA canceled owing to major weather issues. Traveling on UA award (ergo UA ticket stock) with TK, which credibly claims to be unable to rebook me. What’s my best strategy for reaching a UA agent who can help?

Sent a DM to UA on Twitter & have an open chat window on UA site, but no response to either (other than the UA chatbot). I’m loath to call, given that
  1. the phone agent I spoke to last night while at IAD was deeply incompetent & very nearly ruined the whole award (vs the IAD desk supervisor who fixed everything in a jiffy)
  2. It’s an international call, and
  3. Wait time are undoubtedly horrendous.
The wisdom of FT would be very welcome right now. Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by beltway
Currently stuck at IST with connecting flight to MLA canceled owing to major weather issues. Traveling on UA award (ergo UA ticket stock) with TK, which credibly claims to be unable to rebook me. What’s my best strategy for reaching a UA agent who can help?

Sent a DM to UA on Twitter & have an open chat window on UA site, but no response to either (other than the UA chatbot). I’m loath to call, given that
  1. the phone agent I spoke to last night while at IAD was deeply incompetent & very nearly ruined the whole award (vs the IAD desk supervisor who fixed everything in a jiffy)
  2. It’s an international call, and
  3. Wait time are undoubtedly horrendous.
The wisdom of FT would be very welcome right now. Thanks.
Get in line at the TK rebooking desk at IST. They’ll have to handle it, since it’s their flight.
beltway likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sannmann
Get in line at the TK rebooking desk at IST. They’ll have to handle it, since it’s their flight.
I asked at the TK business lounge desk & they claimed to be unable to do anything. Are they just clueless?
Old Mar 12, 2022, 10:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
An UA agent will only be able to rebook you if there is existing award space available. TK owns the responsibility of getting you to MLA but being unhelpful is to be expected, HUCA. Going to the TK counter at the airport may be the most productive approach as airport agents are the best at rescheduling

Use of Skype / Google Voice or other VIOP service can be handy
beltway likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 10:49 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Was your first flight delayed? If yes, that carrier is responsible for rebooking.

If, however, your subsequent flight is cancelled due to weather, then that carrier is responsible for rebooking on the day of travel. Escalate to a supervisor if necessary. Use the Austin Power rule - ask 3 times "How are you going to get me there" and you might get an answer. That worked for me with Air China.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Going to the TK counter at the airport may be the most productive approach as airport agents are the best at rescheduling
Winner, winner, kofte and pide dinner!

The main TK business service desk was a hike and a half, but the guy there made it happen.

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Was your first flight delayed? If yes, that carrier is responsible for rebooking.

If, however, your subsequent flight is cancelled due to weather, then that carrier is responsible for rebooking on the day of travel. Escalate to a supervisor if necessary. Use the Austin Power rule - ask 3 times "How are you going to get me there" and you might get an answer. That worked for me with Air China.
Original flight IAD-IST left as scheduled; it was just the connection (which I’ve now rebooked a second time) that kept getting canceled for wx. Will keep in mind for future reference your comment re where the obligations fall.

Thank you both.
PTahCha likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.