Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

“UA has decided to temporarily suspend transiting Russian airspace"SFO-DEL/BOM impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“UA has decided to temporarily suspend transiting Russian airspace"SFO-DEL/BOM impact

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2022, 7:19 am

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
FYI, while ORD-DEL appears to have been kept, I got a schedule change on mine - bumped flight up an hour (from 7pm to 6pm), to allow for extra hour flying time. So flight is just shy of 16hr now.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marks88
FYI, while ORD-DEL appears to have been kept, I got a schedule change on mine - bumped flight up an hour (from 7pm to 6pm), to allow for extra hour flying time. So flight is just shy of 16hr now.
Too bad they won't be bumping up the BIS credit for this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fumje
Too bad they won't be bumping up the BIS credit for this.
Hah! Now I'm wondering if I should request ORC BIS credit since I was "forced" into buying a ticket on LH.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat
As an update, I was able to get a refund for my mom's SFO-DEL roundtrip (starting tomorrow) pretty easily by calling United 1K on Friday evening. For our return leg from BLR on the 19th (originally BLR - BOM - EWR - SFO) they put us on BLR - FRA - SFO (LH755 - UA59). We apparently got the last two J seats on that routing... insane how quickly it sold out.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by spamboymeister
For our return leg from BLR on the 19th (originally BLR - BOM - EWR - SFO) they put us on BLR - FRA - SFO (LH755 - UA59). We apparently got the last two J seats on that routing... insane how quickly it sold out.
Was this a revenue ticket or an award?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 8:11 pm

So Reuters is reporting that UA has suspended these SFO-DEL-SFO and EWR-BOM-EWR flights indefinitely, while 1K desk only sees those flights up to Mar 26 pulled from schedule. Flights after that still show up on their systems and on PNRs (e.g., my April 1 DEL-SFO is still intact, though I suspect not for long), but are evidently not available for purchase on UA.com or through GF.

The 1K agent also sees "extra" space to rebook through ORD through March 26 even on dates when UA.com shows zero revenue seats available for fresh bookings, so I am guessing rebooking space is different from revenue space and they've zeroed out those flights pre-emptively to fresh bookings so as to accommodate rebookings. As recently as four days ago, even this space was not available for rebooking, she said, and right now, she has mostly been able to accommodate people around their original booking date. So looks like UA is doing some stuff in the background. I was asking about business class seats, so not sure about coach, but I think she meant generally rather than for a specific CoS.

She said they've been told that UA is working on adding additional "space" ex-DEL and BOM but she doesn't know how or when, so perhaps that's why only flights till March 26 are cancelled. She said it was above her paygrade whether additional space means more frequencies, upgauged aircraft, or just more rebooking space and less space for fresh bookings. She also didn't know if a technical stop was under consideration but it doesn't sound like it. Looks like whatever will happen will happen through ORD and not even through EWR, which makes sense because I am guessing the EWR flight is maxed out...

Both this agent and a previous 1K agent earlier said they've only cancelled through March 26 in case the Ukraine situation gets resolved, which just seems like stupid wishful thinking.

Last edited by abcx; Mar 7, 2022 at 8:21 pm
Old Mar 8, 2022, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This reminds me of the movie "White Nights". How much does the relationship with Russia has to be restored before US carriers and passengers would risk overlying Russia and have an unscheduled diversion to a Russian Airport?

It is really double whammy for the airlines between the added fuel costs and longer route but it is nothing compared to those innocent Ukrainians and Russians involved in this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: UA Plat
Was this a revenue ticket or an award?
Revenue - we were in P there and Z on the way back; the return legs are now C and J respectively.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
There are a couple of interesting things going on with UA flights to India. They seem to have added a few extra flights (numbered 3012) on random days from ORD to DEL. But they're flying at limited capacity and the agents don't know what the limit is. In addition, these flights do NOT serve any meals. I asked 2 different agents & both were puzzled why a 16 hour flight won't serve meals. It's almost like these are phantom flights. Anybody else have any further insight into capacity constraints, whether these flights will even take off, etc.?
Old Mar 12, 2022, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I wouldn't read too much into the meals, they're often wrong or nonsense.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by mduell
I wouldn't read too much into the meals, they're often wrong or nonsense.
1K agent told me they can't even see plane type or capacity for these 'secret flights' UA is adding like 3012.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 10:18 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by abcx
1K agent told me they can't even see plane type or capacity for these 'secret flights' UA is adding like 3012.
Some info for Monday's UA 3012, https://www.united.com/en/us/flights...dionsection0id

some mention of "accordionsection" and spotty info

appears to be 787-9 and business is half occupied, no food info but as stated earlier this is likely a display issue

appears bookable and not very secret

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 12, 2022 at 10:26 am Reason: more
Old Mar 12, 2022, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Looks like limited loads with business at 26/48.

Also, looks like UA is running two DEL-ORD flights: UA3015 and UA899

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL3015
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL899
Old Mar 12, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by abcx
Yup, a couple of agents I spoke to said something similar. They have no idea what the capacity limit is. They don't know if the seat map is accurate. They don't see any upgrade list, so they have no idea if you'll be upgraded (using Plus Points or Miles+money) even if there are lots of seats available. This flight is a mystery. I jokingly asked one of the agents if this will even take off (in the literal sense).
Old Mar 12, 2022, 10:29 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by thebakaronis
.... They don't see any upgrade list, so they have no idea if you'll be upgraded (using Plus Points or Miles+money) even if there are lots of seats available. This flight is a mystery. I jokingly asked one of the agents if this will even take off (in the literal sense).
Monday, 14 March appears to be the first of these. Monday's flight does have a visible waitlist

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.