Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

“UA has decided to temporarily suspend transiting Russian airspace"SFO-DEL/BOM impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“UA has decided to temporarily suspend transiting Russian airspace"SFO-DEL/BOM impact

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by bhupinde
My mom and I have SFO-DEL booked for April 1st, which has not been cancelled (yet). I hope they can get the re-route figured out soon.
My friend has March 19 booked, also not cancelled yet and no update to PNR either, even though UA is not selling SFO-DEL on those dates anymore.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Modi being buddy-buddy with Putin hasn't spared India from facing at least some international flight disruptions already. Will Air India be able and willing to do what UA can't/won't in providing non-stop service between India and the US by using Russian airspace?
As of yesterday AI was still overflying Russian airspace..so it offers the fastest connection between India-US now. If they had more aircraft I'm sure they would have increased frequencies to cope up with higher demand.

Edit: I realised AA 292/293 is also unaffected as they never used Russian airspace to begin with.

Last edited by superboi; Mar 2, 2022 at 10:40 pm
Old Mar 2, 2022, 10:39 pm

Related thread on the UA forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...s-impacts.html
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by marks88
Just as FYI, ex-India oneway J fares on SQ are pretty good to US West Coast - like US$ 1.7k ish.
Lowest I'm seeing on SQ is $2.5k in April for BLR-SFO
Old Mar 3, 2022, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by abcx
My friend has March 19 booked, also not cancelled yet and no update to PNR either, even though UA is not selling SFO-DEL on those dates anymore.
I have a March 10 UA867 flight SFO DEL. Not cancelled yet. What are the chances it will be?
Old Mar 3, 2022, 1:41 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
I had a return BOM-EWR-IAH on March 7. Managed to get it switched to BOM-ZRH(LX)-IAD-IAH on March 8. And I did it using the chat feature (!) since the website kept generating an error. There was an upcharge (previous flight was probably discounted J, new ticket is full J) but at least I get home, and LX C > UA C albeit with an extra stop and a tight connection (1 hr) in ZRH. Good luck to others!
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by st530
I had a return BOM-EWR-IAH on March 7. Managed to get it switched to BOM-ZRH(LX)-IAD-IAH on March 8. And I did it using the chat feature (!) since the website kept generating an error. There was an upcharge (previous flight was probably discounted J, new ticket is full J) but at least I get home, and LX C > UA C albeit with an extra stop and a tight connection (1 hr) in ZRH. Good luck to others!
I was on BOM-EWR-AUS in J also March 7 and had to rebook when BOM-EWR was canceled. Online rebooking on united.com would only offer a downgrade to Y with a small upcharge or very limited J options with a huge upcharge (nearly full price)! The web site basically wanted to double charge me. I had to call and spend 3 hours on hold and talk to more than one agent before getting rebooked BOM-DEL (UK in Y) and DEL-EWR-AUS in J for March 7.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Originally Posted by malgudi
A bit off topic, but I see DEL-SIN-SFO for US$ 1.8k on multiple days in March. Need to book in INR but can use no-fee US credit cards. I didn't search ex-BLR, looks like that may be a smidge pricier. SQ tries to force 25hr connections in SIN but you can manually (using multi-city search) force a 1-2 hr layover in SIN.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
UA has wiped their longer India flights (SFO<-->DEL, EWR<-->BOM) through 3/7. Probably trying to figure out how to operate the routes feasibly?? My 3/4 flight to Mumbai cancelled, let's see what re-route options get posed
Stories on the news suggest these and similar flights by other airlines were cancelled to avoid Russian airspace overflights. They are working on reroutes, so they might return in a few days. https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/a...ace/index.html
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: UA MM
No doubt this effort to reroute flights is very complicated and could take some time. The extra flight times impact aircraft utilization plans well beyond the affected flights themselves, not to mention how connections will be managed.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by darth
I have a March 10 UA867 flight SFO DEL. Not cancelled yet. What are the chances it will be?
Well, if it goes ahead, I'll see you there! As I said up thread, I'm not expecting it to fly and I've got my LH ticket through BLR as backup.

Originally Posted by st530
You may get a lower fare buying through LX/LH directly than you will through UA. You won't lose materially on PQP either. If you will easily use the FFC on UA, then that's worth considering.

Originally Posted by malgudi
As noted above as well, the $1,7xx is available DEL-SIN-SFO.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
No doubt this effort to reroute flights is very complicated and could take some time. The extra flight times impact aircraft utilization plans well beyond the affected flights themselves, not to mention how connections will be managed.
Yep. I have to imagine they think they have a chance of setting up with a tech stop in DUB (like AC) by mid next week, and that's why they haven't completely wiped out those flights as yet. Problem is the longer they wait, the tougher it is going to be for folks to get to their destination via alternative routes. And absent a waiver right now, you have to upfare if you want to change. A massive challenge, but man it would be fun to figure this out!!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
In terms of distance SFO-ICN-BLR is not a huge amount longer.
A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper

There is quite probably more of a penalty when jetstream figured in.

However, SFO-BLR doesn't appear to be a route they realistically plan on serving any time soon, no matter what routing is required.
AI is flying SFO-BLR route now weekly. It may be a viable route but not with Russian air space restrictions.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 2:21 pm

SFO-DEL UA flights now loaded as of March 26. Earlier it was June. And now no DEL-SFO loaded until March 27, earlier it was March 12. Fingers crossed that this means they've figured something out post March 26 if not before.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Woah!! UA finally let me change my LAX-EWR-BOM tomorrow to LAX-FRA-BOM. awesome!! Not sure what the chokehold was but maybe there were some pending approvals the other day so anyone else now maybe try again and see if you are able to change. I guess giving up the Polaris privacy to sit right next to my neighbor but getting to the destination is certainly more important in this case.

Return unable to change yet because no cancellations done yet but probably going to happen soon since UA is no longer selling UA49 on the return
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by abcx
SFO-DEL UA flights now loaded as of March 26. Earlier it was June. And now no DEL-SFO loaded until March 27, earlier it was March 12. Fingers crossed that this means they've figured something out post March 26 if not before.
Interestingly it's loaded with the regular timings - i.e. no apparent accommodation for a tech stop. Not sure how they pull that off without overflying Russia. Or perhaps they're just going to run the flight as arriving 2 hours late every single day.

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Woah!! UA finally let me change my LAX-EWR-BOM tomorrow to LAX-FRA-BOM. awesome!! Not sure what the chokehold was but maybe there were some pending approvals the other day so anyone else now maybe try again and see if you are able to change. I guess giving up the Polaris privacy to sit right next to my neighbor but getting to the destination is certainly more important in this case.

Return unable to change yet because no cancellations done yet but probably going to happen soon since UA is no longer selling UA49 on the return
Yeah, particularly in a covid and anti-vax world, I don't really want to sit next to random people. Still have to test negative to return home, after all.

Still unable to do anything with my SFO-DEL without upfaring, but, on my separate LH ticket, FRA-BLR just cleared into LH F, so now I've got other ridiculous and unreasonable things factoring into my decision making. What a dilemma!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.