Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

“UA has decided to temporarily suspend transiting Russian airspace"SFO-DEL/BOM impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“UA has decided to temporarily suspend transiting Russian airspace"SFO-DEL/BOM impact

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Luxurious
I have a dilemma and would love if anyone has advice. My parents went to India last month and were scheduled to fly a return PNQ-DEL-SFO in biz on May 10, but the UA105 DEL-SFO was cancelled. I'm not too familiar how to reroute/rebook in this type of situation, so am wondering where to start and what the best options might be?
Look up an alternative routing that works for you and your parents, including potentially other *A carriers such as LH routing through FRA or MUC, and call in to make the change. This wasn't award travel right?
Old Apr 21, 2022, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by angetenar
Look up an alternative routing that works for you and your parents, including potentially other *A carriers such as LH routing through FRA or MUC, and call in to make the change. This wasn't award travel right?
+1. Keep checking. Earlier in April at least business class seats on alternative UA flights kept going in and out of availability. You can change multiple times - ask them to notate the PNR if at first you have to change to non-ideal flights.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I have a dilemma and would love if anyone has advice. My parents went to India last month and were scheduled to fly a return PNQ-DEL-SFO in biz on May 10, but the UA105 DEL-SFO was cancelled. I'm not too familiar how to reroute/rebook in this type of situation, so am wondering where to start and what the best options might be?
I assume PNQ-DEL is on Vistara and this trip is booked on United ticket.

See if UA will connect them onto SingaporeAir SQ403 DEL-SIN connecting to UA2 nonstop SIN to SFO

Worst case offer to fly DEL-SIN in Coach

SIN is much more pleasant a connection than FRA

Last edited by uastarflyer; Apr 21, 2022 at 7:49 pm
Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer

See if UA will connect them onto SingaporeAir SQ403 DEL-SIN connecting to UA2 nonstop SIN to SFO

Or try PNQ-DEL-EWR/ORD-SFO if there is space on the DEL-EWR/ORD flights. That's all UA so might be easier to get than DEL-SIN. Same number of stops.
uastarflyer likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by abcx
Or try PNQ-DEL-EWR/ORD-SFO if there is space on the DEL-EWR/ORD flights. That's all UA so might be easier to get than DEL-SIN. Same number of stops.
My impression was that the UA DEL-US flights have been flaky but if that is an option that is definitely the most obvious compromise

I do know UA makes SQ(India-SIN) —>UA SIN-SFO available via award seats (in Y) so that was where I was coming from

Last edited by uastarflyer; Apr 21, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Old Apr 22, 2022, 12:01 pm

Many thanks for the helpful replies. I also booked this flight through Chase for the Ultimate Rewards 5x points, so can I still call United to rebook? My understanding is that calling the airline directly is usually preferable?

Does anyone know how exactly the airlines work it out between each other when they have to rebook on each other's flights? I was wondering if I can ask for a rebooking to Air India first class instead of biz for DEL-SFO, which is actually a true lie-flat seat and more analogous to United Polaris that I originally booked for them. (Especially with dad recovering from back injury the ergonomics seem important on such a long flight). So I'm not sure if United will balk at that if it actually costs them more based on the rebooking agreement they have with Air India, or if it doesn't actually directly cost them anything.

Originally Posted by angetenar
Right, not award travel. Would that change the options?

Originally Posted by abcx
+1. Keep checking. Earlier in April at least business class seats on alternative UA flights kept going in and out of availability. You can change multiple times - ask them to notate the PNR if at first you have to change to non-ideal flights.
What would I ask them to notate? Just that I may want to change again since it was non-ideal?

Yes that's right, PNQ-DEL on Vistara and it was booked as United ticket. Air India has a direct SFO-DEL, is that a better or worse option? It is direct but not sure about Air India biz.

Maybe flying BOM-SIN-SFO on Singapore biz would be a good option? Better seat, better connection?

Last edited by Luxurious; Apr 22, 2022 at 12:21 pm
Old Apr 22, 2022, 12:23 pm

See the ticket number, if it starts with 016 you can try United

However, because you booked via Chase (which uses Expedia IIRC as its engine) you may be told you have to work this through Chase

You won’t get to change to Air India First. You might be able to switch to AI Business DEL-SFO though. That’s obviously the most efficient option. AI Business class isn’t as nice as others but is that crucial?
Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality

However, because you booked via Chase (which uses Expedia IIRC as its engine) you may be told you have to work this through Chase

You won’t get to change to Air India First. You might be able to switch to AI Business DEL-SFO though. That’s obviously the most efficient option. AI Business class isn’t as nice as others but is that crucial?
I would try to get a cash refund of the unused cancelled segment, and then purchase J on SQ directly thru SIN. I booked BOM-SIN-LAX in J for under US$2k oneway, more or less last minute. Was able to upgrade BOM-SIN to Suites with 35k Chase points too (transferred to SQ).
Old Apr 22, 2022, 11:56 pm

Thanks, the ticket # does start with 016...does that signify something in particular?

Yes it seems like doing the AI Business DEL-SFO is the most straight-forward rebooking. Though the original Polaris booking I think cost a bit more than the same itinerary in AI biz, so maybe that is not the best bang for the buck as I imagine there is no sort of refund for the hypothetical/historical fare difference.

So I think I will also see what the cash refund would be like marks88 suggested:

Originally Posted by marks88
I would try to get a cash refund of the unused cancelled segment, and then purchase J on SQ directly thru SIN. I booked BOM-SIN-LAX in J for under US$2k oneway, more or less last minute. Was able to upgrade BOM-SIN to Suites with 35k Chase points too (transferred to SQ).
Unless I could ask them to just directly rebook on SQ?

​​

Last edited by Luxurious; Apr 23, 2022 at 11:23 am
Old Apr 23, 2022, 12:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks, the ticket # does with 016...does that signify something in particular?. .. ​​
Yes, this is very important

What are the first 3 digits (that's the issuing / booking airline)

How was this booked -- online site or an airline site?

This is important because you do not deal directly with the operating airlines but rather with the booking airline or travel agency for schedule changes.

Not being 016 / UA, will make this more difficult.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Find a few same-cabin routing you'd prefer, and contact the travel agent you booked the original itinerary with to get reaccommodated on one of those. If they won't play ball (e.g. only offer much less desirable options), review your options to refund under your travel agent's policies.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, this is very important

What are the first 3 digits (that's the issuing / booking airline)

How was this booked -- online site or an airline site?

This is important because you do not deal directly with the operating airlines but rather with the booking airline or travel agency for schedule changes.

Not being 016 / UA, will make this more difficult.
Okay, interesting, thanks...it does start with 016, booked through Chase Travel ("powered by Expedia").
Old Apr 23, 2022, 1:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Okay, interesting, thanks...it does start with 016, booked through Chase Travel ("powered by Expedia").
You need to talk to Chase/Expedia first (however generally useless but UA may ask) but UA may be willing to takeover the ticket. When you call UA, there is a special desk for India tickets
uastarflyer and Luxurious like this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 3:00 pm

Interesting/baffling update on this in case anyone is in a similar boat. United is only willing to do an "even exchange" for their own operated flights. And the routing with only United flights is DEL-ORD-IAH-SFO, 37+ hour trip, which for elderly parents is not practical. United said switching to the Air India DEL-SFO nonstop flight would be repriced and extra charge. So I think that is peculiar, because United was seemingly rebooking people on Lufthansa at no charge based on earlier posts in this thread. The front-line phone reps seemed to try their best, and I did say yes when the phone tree asked if this was about India travel, but is there is an escalated department I should try to ask for? (don't have United status so I didn't get automatically routed to an elite agent).

The refund is also an option. But the original roundtrip ticket cost around $2900, and the refund they estimated was only going to be $1000? Does that make sense, as I assumed if half the ticket is getting refunded it would be around half the fare? Not much transparency in this area.

I'm thinking of just booking BOM-DOH-SFO in Qatar QSuites and ending the ordeal, unless anyone has any other suggestions? Thanks for all the help so far.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Interesting/baffling update on this in case anyone is in a similar boat. United is only willing to do an "even exchange" for their own operated flights. And the routing with only United flights is DEL-ORD-IAH-SFO, 37+ hour trip, which for elderly parents is not practical. United said switching to the Air India DEL-SFO nonstop flight would be repriced and extra charge. So I think that is peculiar, because United was seemingly rebooking people on Lufthansa at no charge based on earlier posts in this thread. The front-line phone reps seemed to try their best, and I did say yes when the phone tree asked if this was about India travel, but is there is an escalated department I should try to ask for? (don't have United status so I didn't get automatically routed to an elite agent).

The refund is also an option. But the original roundtrip ticket cost around $2900, and the refund they estimated was only going to be $1000? Does that make sense, as I assumed if half the ticket is getting refunded it would be around half the fare? Not much transparency in this area.

I'm thinking of just booking BOM-DOH-SFO in Qatar QSuites and ending the ordeal, unless anyone has any other suggestions? Thanks for all the help so far.
Why not take the offered itinerary to ORD and book them on a non-stop ORD-SFO in F on your dime?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.