Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

“UA has decided to temporarily suspend transiting Russian airspace"SFO-DEL/BOM impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“UA has decided to temporarily suspend transiting Russian airspace"SFO-DEL/BOM impact

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: United 1K, 2MM, Marriott LT Platinum
After an SFO-EWR-FRA-BLR outbound with the final flight on LH, I returned BLR-DEL-SFO and can confirm that without all the stopovers the return (Vistara/UA) was far less tiring. All flights were in biz class and I thought the UA flight service and all else was every bit as good as LH, with the Polaris lounge at EWR being an added bonus. That lounge was also better than the Senator(?) lounge in Frankfurt.

Still, all these are mere icing on the fact that things went without a hitch on all of these long flights and my daughter and I got back safe and sound. Even after millions of miles of air travel I am always mindful of what my pilot friend says ... "every flight you walk away from is a good flight"!
AKR1, narvik and superboi like this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 7:13 am

I have my flight scheduled for June 10 , United EWR BOM. I have not received any update from United yet and the flight says confirmed as of today. When they cancelled your flight, did they rebook you on a alternative route ? ( EWR DEL BOM) ?
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
BOM is lower in DEL in latitude so to take a (typically) polar route to go to/from Newark, it adds about 1-1.5 hours each way. Additionally, this is a high volume route passenger and cargo-wise so this adds to the amount of fuel needed to operate this route in its normal flight path.

BOM is definitely one of United's biggest money-maker routes per plane and has been crucial for work travel and lots of personal travel. Now for United, maybe if they deem it too much they'll stop operating it and shovel everyone through Delhi but I find this very unlikely at this point. And additionally, I hope it doesn't happen since I'm slotted to fly once again on this route in a couple days

Edit: nvm, just got an email that EWR-BOM is cancelled on 3/4 when I'm supposed to fly it.....
Did they re-route your tickets yet ?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 25, 2022 at 2:39 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 31, 2022, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I noticed most SFO-DEL in 2H June is pricing only YBM/O/JC with all other buckets zeroed out. Is this indicative of something? Flights look very empty
Old Apr 1, 2022, 7:00 pm

And now SFO-DEL looks gone through at least some of July.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I read somewhere that CX will start the world's longest flight HKG-JFK to avoid flying Russian air space. The flight path will be longer than the SQ SIN-JFK flight.

I wonder how UA plans to fly EWR-HKG-EWR route when it restarts in August (if it stars at all).
Old Apr 2, 2022, 3:16 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by pushpa786
I have my flight scheduled for June 10 , United EWR BOM. I have not received any update from United yet and the flight says confirmed as of today. When they cancelled your flight, did they rebook you on a alternative route ? ( EWR DEL BOM) ?
Initially they completely refused.

Subsequently and after many many calls and protests, they did allow EWR-DEL-BOM, but it was a fight to get this option...

(Same with a UA/LH itinerary - but was eventually allowed)

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Apr 2, 2022 at 5:27 am
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:18 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I wonder how UA plans to fly EWR-HKG-EWR route when it restarts in August (if it stars at all).
Yea, I'm curious about this also. Looking forward to HKG eventually opening up.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:56 am

They refused to acknowledge that the route is suspended for June, however they changed my route to EWR FRA BOM ( only code share option was Lufthansa , no Air India or Vistara ). The reason they changed my route is because of a schedule change in the original booking (departure time changed to 2 hours early, and not because of the route suspension)
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
They refused to acknowledge that the route is suspended for June
It's not suspended - restarts on 1 June 2022

( only code share option was Lufthansa , no Air India or Vistara ).
They finally allowed me to route on LH, but also with "special permission/exemption" on Vistara from DEL to BOM...
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:39 am

They refused to acknowledge that the route is suspended for June, however they changed my route to EWR FRA BOM ( only code share option was Lufthansa , no Air India or Vistara ).
You say this like it’s a bad thing. Give profuse thanks!

(and I am absolutely not a LH fan)
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
It's not suspended - restarts on 1 June 2022

They finally allowed me to route on LH, but also with "special permission/exemption" on Vistara from DEL to BOM...
Unless they set up some stop on the return I don't think this will happen. They won't be able to operate that return nonstop.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer

Not sure superflyboy's reasons are but personally for me, as awful as United's food is going to India (though supposedly that's changed as of 4/1 I haven't flown ua to India since the change), the nonstop to Mumbai is hard to beat from a timing standpoint and the fact that its nonstop, and lufthansa's seat pales in comparison to a Polaris seat in every regard including the amenities. United's wifi has also been blazing fast for me on those 77Ws and 787s
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:58 pm

Unless they set up some stop on the return I don't think this will happen. They won't be able to operate that return nonstop.

Not sure superflyboy's reasons are but personally for me, as awful as United's food is going to India (though supposedly that's changed as of 4/1 I haven't flown ua to India since the change), the nonstop to Mumbai is hard to beat from a timing standpoint and the fact that its nonstop, and lufthansa's seat pales in comparison to a Polaris seat in every regard including the amenities. United's wifi has also been blazing fast for me on those 77Ws and 787s
I was responding to Pushpa’s comment about only being presented EWR-FRA-BOM and that too only on LH, no AI option

To be clear I am with you I would take a UA nonstop with zero decision time needed. A subpar meal is small price for the benefits (seat, timing, avoid connection etc). Plus I usually default AVML and the Indian vegetarian meals are usually fairly reasonable even on UA.

But I would also pick LH v AI if those were the only options. I’d pick quite a few things before picking AI actually.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver

I was responding to Pushpa’s comment about only being presented EWR-FRA-BOM and that too only on LH, no AI option

To be clear I am with you I would take a UA nonstop with zero decision time needed. A subpar meal is small price for the benefits (seat, timing, avoid connection etc). Plus I usually default AVML and the Indian vegetarian meals are usually fairly reasonable even on UA.

But I would also pick LH v AI if those were the only options. I’d pick quite a few things before picking AI actually.
As usual I cannot read I thought Superflyboy was saying that about US-India travel ignore me and I'm with you I'd happily take LH before I take AI given the choice on that route.
uastarflyer likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 3:42 pm

"Due to the current ongoing situation in Ukraine and enroute travel concerns, United will be suspending non-stop service between EWR and BOM into early July. As a result, your reservation for flight 48 from EWR to BOM on 6/x/2022 has been impacted. We know this is unexpected. For information on our cancellation and refund policies, go to united.com/refund.

If you would like to speak to United regarding other travel options, contact us at 1-888-825-7684. Please note that due to the significance of these changes, our contact center hold times may be longer than usual.

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding."

First they continue fly us over Russia 4 days into the war, now they cancel the flight 2 months in advance???

Some really whacked individuals doing flight planning - when this route could still be flown somewhat in a break-even manner...

Edited to Add: Now schedule moved up 1 month, but all flights in early July 2022 zeroed out - probably to accomodate rebookings...

...and lufthansa's seat pales in comparison to a Polaris seat in every regard including the amenities. United's wifi has also been blazing fast for me on those 77Ws and 787s
I didn't mind LH's A359 seat this time - nor do I mind the A343/333's bulkhead seats...

Also, LH's wifi has been at least 3x faster than United's - and I never get logged-off all the time like on United's 77w/789s!

LH food was amazing too.

Now, as my eyes have been opened once again, the only benefit to UA's flight is that it's a non-stop...

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Apr 7, 2022 at 4:06 pm Reason: Added info...
Old Apr 21, 2022, 3:07 pm

I have a dilemma and would love if anyone has advice. My parents went to India last month and were scheduled to fly a return PNQ-DEL-SFO in biz on May 10, but the UA105 DEL-SFO was cancelled. I'm not too familiar how to reroute/rebook in this type of situation, so am wondering where to start and what the best options might be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.