Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

JFK v EWR airport flying UA to stay Times Sq

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold

So flying from SFO to New York in Oct with my sisters and looking at flights. I have always disliked EWR as it was a mess to connect through and now with United back at JFK wondering how that airport is. Flights in J to JFK are cheaper than flights to EWR. Are they any significant benefits to flying into EWR over JFK? We are staying around Times Square.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sierranevada
So flying from SFO to New York in Oct with my sisters and looking at flights. I have always disliked EWR as it was a mess to connect through and now with United back at JFK wondering how that airport is. Flights in J to JFK are cheaper than flights to EWR. Are they any significant benefits to flying into EWR over JFK? We are staying around Times Square.
How are you planning to get from either airport to your hotel? Public transit? Taxi/Uber/Lyft? One-way car rental?

Checked baggage, or carry-ons only?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
How are you planning to get from either airport to your hotel? Public transit? Taxi/Uber/Lyft? One-way car rental?

Checked baggage, or carry-ons only?
Uber and check bag
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If you insist on Uber, JFK. EWR-midtown traffic can be unpredictable across Hudson. I prefer NJT to Penn. From JFK, LIRR to Penn would be the equivalent.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uber and check bag
​​​​​​All other things being equal, EWR to Times Square will likely be a few minutes faster than JFK to Times Square. Other than that, I'd say it's a wash.
adambadam and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
​​​​​​All other things being equal, EWR to Times Square will likely be a few minutes faster than JFK to Times Square. Other than that, I'd say it's a wash.
Thanks, I know I won't get the Polaris lounge at EWR (but will at SFO) but at least I have access to Alaska lounge at JFK.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If you insist on Uber, JFK. EWR-midtown traffic can be unpredictable at Holland Tunnel. I prefer NJT to Penn. From JFK LIFF to Penn would be the equivalent.
For Times Square from EWR, I would expect the Uber driver to take the Lincoln -- not Holland -- Tunnel, unless traffic happens to be significantly worse at the Lincoln.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
I'm not sure when you're flying but also be mindful of the aircraft. SFO-JFK is usually on a 757 which has a substantially worse J seat than the 767 or 777s that run the SFO-EWR route.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K MM *G
Logistics at JFK are easier and quicker. From the time it takes to get from gate to baggage claim and out to curbside.

Always amazed how convenient the AirTrain and LIRR to Penn Station is compared to sitting in traffic during rush hour.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
EWR is a pit. I avoid if at all possible.

Getting to either airport can be a total pita, so that's not usually a determining factor for me (unless I'm in the financial district, in which case EWR would usually be considerably quicker).
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:30 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks, I know I won't get the Polaris lounge at EWR (but will at SFO) but at least I have access to Alaska lounge at JFK.
If your flight is purely domestic, you will not have Polaris Lounge access. But if flying business SFO-EWR, you will have United Club access at both ends. SFO-JFK, JFK has no UC, but there is the AS lounge.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
If the UCs at EWR are not a swinger, then go for SFO-JFK.

David
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SF_DUKE
Logistics at JFK are easier and quicker. From the time it takes to get from gate to baggage claim and out to curbside.

Always amazed how convenient the AirTrain and LIRR to Penn Station is compared to sitting in traffic during rush hour.
Glad to hear JFK is easier

Originally Posted by Kacee
EWR is a pit. I avoid if at all possible.

Getting to either airport can be a total pita, so that's not usually a determining factor for me (unless I'm in the financial district, in which case EWR would usually be considerably quicker).
I agree, EWR is awful!

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If your flight is purely domestic, you will not have Polaris Lounge access. But if flying business SFO-EWR, you will have United Club access at both ends. SFO-JFK, JFK has no UC, but there is the AS lounge.
Forgot about that. I can use Centurion at SFO and also have UC membership

Originally Posted by DELee
If the UCs at EWR are not a swinger, then go for SFO-JFK.

David
Not a deal breaker as long as I can get into some lounge at JFK and Alaska lounge is better than most UC lounges.

Originally Posted by jcarberry
I'm not sure when you're flying but also be mindful of the aircraft. SFO-JFK is usually on a 757 which has a substantially worse J seat than the 767 or 777s that run the SFO-EWR route.
It is 757
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
It is 757
At least it is neither a 73X nor A319/320. Either way, enjoy your time in/around Times Square.

David
sierranevada likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K MM *G
It is 757
757 with J layflats. Not as nice as Polaris layflats, but still great for domestic with all the soft amenties.

Great FAs and service on my last few flights. Most of the crew were SFO, LAX, or LAS based.
sierranevada likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.