Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why are “million” miles flown the only threshold for UA lifetime status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are “million” miles flown the only threshold for UA lifetime status?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
Why? Because UA sets the rules to reward LONG-TERM loyalty. I'm 49 and sitting at 3.6MM BIS. Would be over 4MM if not for COVID. It required a huge number of nights on airplanes, abbreviated weekends, and being the road warrior every year since graduating university. UA values short-term profit (GS program) and long-term loyalty (MM program).
Correct - long term loyalty. And UA wants to keep you with UA - particularly if you are a big spender.

If based on spend - and you spend a lot and earn LT GS at 49 - then you might start flying other airlines as well. Say you are buying international J - you get all the benefits.

The mileage based approach is harder to achieve and for most - will take a lifetime. The intent is you fly with us during your business years - say 25 to 60 - then we will give you the status for a LT when you are retired.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 11:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Remove the off topic discussion about "personal" vs "Other People's Money", the subject has been discussed numerous times and not directly relevant to this thread, should there be an alternative method of earning MMer status.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Mar 1, 2022, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
Why? Because UA sets the rules to reward LONG-TERM loyalty. I'm 49 and sitting at 3.6MM BIS. Would be over 4MM if not for COVID. It required a huge number of nights on airplanes, abbreviated weekends, and being the road warrior every year since graduating university. UA values short-term profit (GS program) and long-term loyalty (MM program).
Originally Posted by cova
Correct - long term loyalty. And UA wants to keep you with UA - particularly if you are a big spender.

If based on spend - and you spend a lot and earn LT GS at 49 - then you might start flying other airlines as well. Say you are buying international J - you get all the benefits.

The mileage based approach is harder to achieve and for most - will take a lifetime. The intent is you fly with us during your business years - say 25 to 60 - then we will give you the status for a LT when you are retired.
One other point that many have responded but wasn't clearly addressing the OP's complaint - 1 MM BIS is only the first lifetime milestone and gets Lifetime Gold. OP appears to want the equivalent of LT 1K - 3MM BIS - which an even greater challenge. And the only way to get there from here is to fly a lot.

David
deek, tcdtcd and 8MiHi like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
There’s no spend component, yet. Connecting the dots, I predict it’s coming.
Originally Posted by cfischer
I would love the PQD angle as well Will be better for me than miles flown on UA metal ...
Be careful what you wish for. If the past is any guide to future behavior, whatever method United uses to incorporate PQD into the equation will end up being worse for most consumers.
JNelson113 and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Be careful what you wish for. If the past is any guide to future behavior, whatever method United uses to incorporate PQD into the equation will end up being worse for most consumers.
I don’t like the idea, but I expect it will happen. I have a few ideas how, but I have no intention of sharing them, in the off chance that United hasn’t really thought it through!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.