Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why are “million” miles flown the only threshold for UA lifetime status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are “million” miles flown the only threshold for UA lifetime status?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2022, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
It took me 10,000 hours of flying to achieve my LT status.

Over those 10,000 hours, I've built an affinity for the airline and the brand -- to the point where I'll fly UA long after I'm flying on OPM.

I'm not sure the new class of elites targeted by UA will share this affinity. For example:

1. The newly targeted 1K (EWR-BOS-EWR, 26x/yr, $1K per tix) spends 50 hours with the brand per year.

2. That's 500 hours/decade compared to my 5,000 hours/decade.

I'm not sure the 500-hour customer forms a loyal friendship with the brand over that decade.

So I think it's wise that UA grants LT benefits to folks who spend thousands of hours with the brand.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I remember in the 1970s, flying on North Central Airlines from TUS to ORD/MSP etc. on DC-9s, and my parents were paying $250- to $350- for Y. They did have nice onboard meals though. In those days, we couldn't afford F, so we never even looked at it, but I bet it was around $700-, which would be $3,263- in 2022 dollars (1977 base year).
My first jet flight was CO - WAS-DEN 1968 (DC8). Cost was $89 outbound, $103 return in First. Had to buy first on the return for $15 more since coach was sold out. $15 for the F ticket fare difference seemed expensive to me at that time. Remember - airfares were regulated. CO had a good reputation at time for food and service.

I had a lot of travel - pre-FF programs - and none of that counts in any FF program.
Some examples:
1970 - WAS-SFO TWA 707 - $279 (I have paid less than that today for a transcon).
1982 - WAS-FRA PanAm 747 $695 RT coach - seemed expensive.
1987 - WAS-New Zealand/Australia in Coach 747 on Air New Zealand - $2200 coach.
1992 - WAS-AUS (Austin, TX) - $1100 coach. Although if you flew CO - they gave you a free upgrade.

Last edited by cova; Feb 24, 2022 at 3:09 pm
Old Feb 24, 2022, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by cova
My first jet flight was CO - WAS-DEN 1968 (DC8). Cost was $89 outbound, $103 return in First. Had to buy first on the return for $15 more since coach was sold out. $15 for the F ticket fare difference seemed expensive to me at that time. Remember - airfares were regulated. CO had a good reputation at time for food and service.
1550 in today's dollars round trip. Must have liked F class.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
UA’s MM program is still a “frequent flyer” program.
All other MM programs or pretty much all airlines loyalty programs now are “frequent spender” program.

Let’s preserve one of very last “frequent flyer” programs that is still in existence both in name and substance.

I look at it as running marathons. It is 26.2 miles for all runners. It does not make sense if people pay a higher enrollment fee to participate in the race, they get bonus miles to go with the higher fee that they don’t need to run the full 26.2 miles.
I went back to check my M+ history from the first UA flight I took back in 1992, and the date I made 4 MM (lifetime GS). It took me 26 years and a little less than 3 months. Coincidentally, I used 26.2-mile in my earlier post as an example. it tooke me about 26.2 years to make lifetime GS.
LAXOGG and DELee like this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I went back to check my M+ history from the first UA flight I took back in 1992, and the date I made 4 MM (lifetime GS). It took me 26 years and a little less than 3 months. Coincidentally, I used 26.2-mile in my earlier post as an example. it tooke me about 26.2 years to make lifetime GS.
Now what's next?

David
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA GS
I don't think UA could even pull together spend amount going back to early-1980s, when FF programs started. Legacy spend likely does not exist.
Back then people still had paper tickets and booked through travel agents. So spend as a metric for MM is not possible.

UA did have the history of your BIS miles flown and was able to compile that data.

Before CO merged with UA, CO did a 1-year effort to go back and collect data off old backup tapes (that were in storage by CO's IT contractor).
This allowed CO to come up with a Million Miler program. About 13 - 15 years ago - CO collected the data and then posted to your account when the MM program started. I was surprised - I had about 1.2 MM at the time and became a MM'er. MM status allows you to designate a significant other with your status.
As I recall, the adjustment went in the other direction where UA flyers BIS were bumped up for certain double mile bonus promotions and premium fare bonus mile promotions that were given to CO FF'ers under their program. This required UA IT to come up with the history. As I recall, my bump was about 200,000 miles. Perhaps our historian WineCountryUA will weigh-in.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
As I recall, the adjustment went in the other direction where UA flyers BIS were bumped up for certain double mile bonus promotions and premium fare bonus mile promotions that were given to CO FF'ers under their program. This required UA IT to come up with the history. As I recall, my bump was about 200,000 miles. Perhaps our historian WineCountryUA will weigh-in.
That is exactly what I can recall as well. The bump also included BIS from certain *A flights as well.

Originally Posted by DELee
Now what's next?

David
Working on 5 MM at the moment. Supposed to make it by end of 2021 without Covid, now looking at end of 2023 if no career change. No consider making other MM programs, but likely focus more on Singapore Airlines whenever possible to earn PPS annually.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As I recall, the adjustment went in the other direction where UA flyers BIS were bumped up for certain double mile bonus promotions and premium fare bonus mile promotions that were given to CO FF'ers under their program. This required UA IT to come up with the history. As I recall, my bump was about 200,000 miles. ...
CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012
Million Miler one-time adjustment 12/31/11 questions/tracking
Old Feb 25, 2022, 5:06 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
So lifetime GS is a marathon, not a sprint?
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Right - CO gave more generous MM credit, so UA added to MP accounts the equivalents, including miles from credit cards, *A flights, bonuses, etc., and then combined the two sets of lifetime miles into a single total.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
Right - CO gave more generous MM credit, so UA added to MP accounts the equivalents, including miles from credit cards, *A flights, bonuses, etc., and then combined the two sets of lifetime miles into a single total.
I don't believe CO ever included credit card miles They included EQM - so for F fares the 25% bonus (somewhere in that range) was included.
ContinentalFan and chavala like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
I don't believe CO ever included credit card miles They included EQM - so for F fares the 25% bonus (somewhere in that range) was included.
Correct, in CO LFM was based on credited EQM, not actual miles (or any other bonuses). So a Y/B (I think It was originally Y/H but that was a LONG time ago) or any front-cabin fare credited at 1.5x distance (or 750 miles minimum). As someone who does a LOT of short segments and at the time was pretty much universally on refundable B-or-its-predecessor fares my lifetime mileage accrual tanked after the programs merged.

And as far as brand relationships go -- be nice to agents, remember them, and form relationships through conversation: Better and more enjoyable than virtually any of the perks from any corporate-overlord granted status )
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
UA should keep the MM program as it is - very simply based on miles flown. Someone who flies a million miles in coach has flown the same distance as someone who's flown a million miles up front. Both have demonstrated a remarkable amount of loyalty to UA. I'd have to give more kudos to the former
Most of my UA miles were earned in the back of the aircraft, not the front.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
While at one time, the annual FF program and the MM program may have seemed to have been linked -- FF program based on BIS Miles x Fare Class with *A flights included, MM program based just on UA BIS miles -- now they are not. This is because the FF program is now based exclusively on spend. But this is actually more rational. The FF program's benefits are both monetary (PP) and travel-related (luggage, upgrades, etc.). In contrast, the MM program's benefits are primarily travel-related. Given that the amount you travel is more closely related to BIS miles than to spend, this is logical. So rather than seeing the FF program and the MM program as closely linked, see them as two distinct programs -- the FF program as a short-term incentive to spend money on UA, and the MM program as a long-term incentive to fly UA.
SPN Lifer and 8MiHi like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by MrWorldwide
I’ve been 1k on my own dime the last 5 years. At 43 I will never get to any of those million mile milestones. Why is this the only way for lifetime status? If I kept up 1k for 15-20 more years wouldn’t that effort be worthy enough? If I could fly more I would….
Why? Because UA sets the rules to reward LONG-TERM loyalty. I'm 49 and sitting at 3.6MM BIS. Would be over 4MM if not for COVID. It required a huge number of nights on airplanes, abbreviated weekends, and being the road warrior every year since graduating university. UA values short-term profit (GS program) and long-term loyalty (MM program).
Aussienarelle and 8MiHi like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.