Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why are “million” miles flown the only threshold for UA lifetime status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are “million” miles flown the only threshold for UA lifetime status?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2022, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by lsquare
How?
My guess is 56, back-to-back round trips to Singapore and a sturdy cushion.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I like that UA has some exclusivity with miles flown for lifetime status. It is an investment of time.

You never know - but I don't see them moving to spend for lifetime status - that just makes it too easy for too many people.
halls120, lsquare, tcdtcd and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I like that UA has some exclusivity with miles flown for lifetime status. It is an investment of time.

You never know - but I don't see them moving to spend for lifetime status - that just makes it too easy for too many people.
I predict that a lifetime spending component will be added to the BIS miles required.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I predict that a lifetime spending component will be added to the BIS miles required.
Before PQP wasn't there PQDs for status? So they have always had a spending requirement for annual status but MM was always BIS on United?

It is just previously 1K also meant 100,000 PQMs in a year and the PQP/PQF did away with the mileage.

I can get 1K flying OAL (Star Alliance) with just 4 United flights in a year. Upgrades with LH using PlusPoints and mileage awards with Star Alliance carriers. 1K rewards loyalty flying with Star Alliance. MM rewards flying with United. I have had numerous Star Alliance flights such if you factored those into MM I think I would be well past 2MM as majority of my flights have been international (especially when it was OPM).
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by MrWorldwide
I’ve been 1k on my own dime the last 5 years. At 43 I will never get to any of those million mile milestones. Why is this the only way for lifetime status? If I kept up 1k for 15-20 more years wouldn’t that effort be worthy enough? If I could fly more I would….
I think it would be quote a feat to be 1K for 15+ years and NOT be a million miler. I've had it for 12 years, and am sitting around 1.3MM.
JNelson113 and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:13 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I think it would be quote a feat to be 1K for 15+ years and NOT be a million miler. I've had it for 12 years, and am sitting around 1.3MM.
Prior to the introduction of PQD requirements I would have agreed. I think now if you book through United but travel on Star Alliance flights I could see not making MM.

So if United was to change the MM requirement it is because they no longer want pax flying United flights but United still gets the revenue?
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
The system is good and fair as is, IMO. As mentioned, it's the best of the three majors and it's because it is the most difficult to obtain, but what you get is well worth the time put into it. I hope that UA does not tinker with it but leaves it as is.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I think the challenge for that is I don't think they have the historical data - or getting that data will be a huge challenge. All the pre-merger data by now has to been archived long ago.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I think the challenge for that is I don't think they have the historical data - or getting that data will be a huge challenge. All the pre-merger data by now has to been archived long ago.
Thanks goodness for that!
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Repooc17
With UA's focus on spend only, you could get a lot of PQP but also very little in BIS, especially if one flies largely on last minute tickets and/or partner airlines.

It used to be you can get MM in 10 years or less. That's no longer definitive anymore.
Other than Covid, why? Yeah, Covid has delayed my march because TPAC has mostly dried up. But miles are miles so it's not like new 1K thresholds.
JNelson113 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by drewguy
Other than Covid, why? Yeah, Covid has delayed my march because TPAC has mostly dried up. But miles are miles so it's not like new 1K thresholds.
Having the SFO-SIN back plus Europe opening up certainly makes it easier for US based fliers. Hey, even Australia is a possibility now!
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
Ugh? I was talking in references to people able to achieve 1K these days without a large addition to the lifetime count. Nothing Covid related.
drewguy likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
I think the current system is completely fair. At the end of the day, the amount of time you spend butt-in-seat is what really defines loyalty. I have done (and I am sure many of us fall exactly into this category) Plenty of high fare travel, and absolute rock bottom G fare travel to account for my 1.3MM BIS miles. Even if you fly only rock bottom fares, you will be paying $0.03/BIS mile, every 100,000 miles will cost $3,000 to fly, and 1MM will cost $30,000 ... worst case scenario. It is not cheap to attain this status ... not cheap from a $$ standpoint and a time standpoint.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I think the current system is completely fair. At the end of the day, the amount of time you spend butt-in-seat is what really defines loyalty. I have done (and I am sure many of us fall exactly into this category) Plenty of high fare travel, and absolute rock bottom G fare travel to account for my 1.3MM BIS miles. Even if you fly only rock bottom fares, you will be paying $0.03/BIS mile, every 100,000 miles will cost $3,000 to fly, and 1MM will cost $30,000 ... worst case scenario. It is not cheap to attain this status ... not cheap from a $$ standpoint and a time standpoint.
I will hide the $90,000+ number from my wife. 😂 But she enjoys the lifetime 1K companion status as long as I can get her business seats for long-haul flights. 😄😄
jjmoore likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I will hide the $90,000+ number from my wife. 😂 But she enjoys the lifetime 1K companion status as long as I can get her business seats for long-haul flights. 😄😄
Heck, I’m going to hide the number from me! And I’m not quite to MM yet, but soon, very soon.
Kmxu likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.