Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why are “million” miles flown the only threshold for UA lifetime status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are “million” miles flown the only threshold for UA lifetime status?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2022, 6:22 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Back when Scott was around (at continental/ua) I brought this up to him often. I was a paid F flying short short short haul. He actually did some math one time when we spoke - the value of the short haul F flyer was exponentially higher when comparing the $/mile of a flyer....but, alas, it never went anywhere....
MrWorldwide likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MrWorldwide
so you’re telling me United wants to discourage loyalty after a certain age?
United wants to measure lifetime loyalty in decades, not years.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the OP is five years into flying and is a 1K (not GS) and has 500k BIS, then it seems like the program is working as intended even before the advent of PQP - roughly ten years of being a 1K gets to 1MM status. Now, maybe there's an argument that those earning GS every year on spend (not corporate giveaways or whatever) could have some kind of faster track because they're making such an outsize contribution to the bottom line.

But really, the program is meant to recognize long term loyalty. Why would United want to give away lifetime status to someone who only shows a couple years of loyalty? Lifetime status given away easily defeats the purpose for the airline - by the OP's own admission, he wants to get the benefits of 1K without having to put in the spend - not a great customer from the airlines' perspective.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I’ve been 1k on my own dime the last 5 years.
I'm guessing you missed the post from yesterday. Unfortunately, you'd need a time machine!
Old Feb 22, 2022, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
I'm guessing you missed the post from yesterday. Unfortunately, you'd need a time machine!
that’s funny. I’ll take lifetime without pp
Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I m younger than you. Have been 1K since 2013. Never flown for work. Mrs is also 1K. Would be MM by now if not for Covid, but it may take some time now to get the home stretch done without Asia vacations.

I m happy that United MM has some actual benefits like E+ and Star Gold lounge access since I never fly domestic anyway.
Remember that the goal of the lifetime program isn't to give you lifetime status. It's to keep you from switching to another airline. The last thing they want is the people who spend the most $$/mile to get their lifetime status early and then have options.

Originally Posted by walkerci
At the risk of misunderstanding your post, I personally would not spend a dollar to have my children fly up front.
And depending how well-behaved your children are, I might give you a few dollars to put them in the back.
uanj and Wooglin like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 22, 2022 at 8:22 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raehl311
Remember that the goal of the lifetime program isn't to give you lifetime status. It's to keep you from switching to another airline. The last thing they want is the people who spend the most $$/mile to get their lifetime status early and then have options.
not once did I mention trying to get something fast or easy. All I said was there should be a different metric than millions of miles flown by someone who started traveling for some company out of college.

Originally Posted by seanp7
I know, it's a good thread for discussion; dialogue is encouraged - you are getting constructive pushback, no big deal.

I also didn't know you didn't care about plus points, that's good information I didn't see in your OP or subsequent posts.

I'm still struggling to see what you're asking for, apologies . I get "an alternative avenue to MM status" (based on your assumed high spend) but - to what end?
I think achieving a certain status over a long period is deserving of lifetime status. I threw out the number of 20-25 years of 1k. That’s a huge achievement regardless of miles flown. I have a hard time with the minimum segments but appreciate a total pqp number.
DJ_Iceman and ContinentalFan like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 22, 2022 at 8:21 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I'm more frustrated that BIS award flights don't count towards MM status.
Doppy, Lori_Q, Pingtung and 7 others like this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by hyho61
At this rate you will be million miler gold in less than 5 years. But for million miler 1k it will take a long time, those are the rules.
At least more travelers get something in their lifetime with AA and DL to keep them interested in flying without all those petty extra charges and lack of overhead space

I don't fly UA because I can't stand to pay to check baggage as I have no hope of ever getting million miles on UA in spite of my equal spend between the big 3

Last edited by Pat89339; Feb 22, 2022 at 7:51 pm Reason: Repair quote
Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I’m just starting a different dialog on a FF forum. I don’t care about plus points. They go to my kids or our parents, who are so appreciative.
I know, it's a good thread for discussion; dialogue is encouraged - you are getting constructive pushback, no big deal.

I also didn't know you didn't care about plus points, that's good information I didn't see in your OP or subsequent posts.

I'm still struggling to see what you're asking for, apologies . I get "an alternative avenue to MM status" (based on your assumed high spend) but - to what end?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Back when Scott was around (at continental/ua) I brought this up to him often. I was a paid F flying short short short haul. He actually did some math one time when we spoke - the value of the short haul F flyer was exponentially higher when comparing the $/mile of a flyer....but, alas, it never went anywhere....
underrated comment
Old Feb 22, 2022, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got the lifetime status as a result of the merger and UA counting all the CO miles towards lifetime even with the class of service bonuses. I was racking up about 50k miles a trip for a few years flying BKK-SFO round trips in world business class 4-5 times a year. At that time each ticket was about $2k USD. Now I have UA and AA million miler status thanks to these bonuses counting. I hardly ever fly these airlines now but it helps to be able to get preferred seating, lounge access, etc when I do. Basically being a MM allows me to be a free agent.

I don’t think this is fair, especially when posters like the OP are dropping serious cash year after year but I am very grateful for the MM program and the status I get.
SPN Lifer and bethyy like this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by DELee
That's United approach - total lifetime earning via actual miles flown. There is no spend component nor total time. They want you to fly.

David
There’s no spend component, yet. Connecting the dots, I predict it’s coming.

Last edited by ContinentalFan; Feb 23, 2022 at 11:20 am
Old Feb 22, 2022, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I would love the PQD angle as well Will be better for me than miles flown on UA metal ...
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve been 1k on my own dime the last 5 years. At 43 I will never get to any of those million mile milestones. Why is this the only way for lifetime status? If I kept up 1k for 15-20 more years wouldn’t that effort be worthy enough? If I could fly more I would….

Would you prefer to qualify with 1 million PQP?
WasKnown likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.