Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very close call: reported to UA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Wouldn't something like this if it was really that close make the news somewhere?
I wouldn't assume that. Legitimate TCAS RAs are rare but they do happen and they rarely make the news. It would be a pretty big stretch to believe that both pilots in each of the two aircraft, ATC, and TCAS all missed the incident though, especially at night when it is trivially easy to visually pick out other aircraft. (And given that none of the pilots took any action to avoid the potential collision, one has to assume that all the pilots, ATC, and TCAS all missed the incident.)
SPN Lifer and deek like this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Sykes
I wouldn't assume that. Legitimate TCAS RAs are rare but they do happen and they rarely make the news.
I believe there is a publicly accessible database where these incidents - if reported - would end up (duly anonymized). I know it has been posted here in the UAL forum but I can't immediately find it.

Note it's not Aviation Herald or anything like that; while those are great resources, it's a 3 or 4 letter agency that maintains this database.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 4:36 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by HibernateNow
go to LiveATC.net or other aviation forums and ask those guys if they can find you the air traffic recording for your flight....

if it was really that close, either pilots would have screamed or cursed... or at least the air traffic controller would...
FWIW when the Gol hit the Embraer, neither crew knew they had hit another aircraft. We have the tapes to prove this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by tryathlete
i saw the oncoming aircraft for perhaps a quarter of a second. I was staring out the window at the time otherwise I could never have seen this occur. It was below and crossed from 1 O’clock and left at 7 O’clock with a contrail indicating it’s path.
Originally Posted by tryathlete
i was seated in 1A in on the left of the CRJ200. I saw the other aircraft appear beneath us and it appeared to my right and went to the limit of my peripheral vision to the left in a near instant. I could clearly resolve the jet wake after it went by and we crossed it a half second later if I had to try to time it. It crossed the direction of travel from 1 to 7 o’clock. The size of the aircraft completely filled the small window in length. I was plastered to the window for whatever reason.
Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
I'm sure others on-board will report this as well and we'll be hearing about it soon enough in the media.
I doubt anyone else on board the aircraft will report this. Most humans are not capable of such degree of temporal and spatial resolution as defined by the OP. It is incredibly difficult to process multiple visual images that occured in less than a second and such would take a highly trained eye and brain (maybe as in a pilot in OPs case) or some form of exceptional neurological ability. The vast majority of people probably wouldn't even be sure if they actually saw anything, talk less describe it in such clarity.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by mozilla
I believe there is a publicly accessible database where these incidents - if reported - would end up (duly anonymized). I know it has been posted here in the UAL forum but I can't immediately find it.

Note it's not Aviation Herald or anything like that; while those are great resources, it's a 3 or 4 letter agency that maintains this database.
Aviation Safety Reporting System

Not every incident is reported, though.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by dilanesp
FWIW when the Gol hit the Embraer, neither crew knew they had hit another aircraft. We have the tapes to prove this.
And that was broad daylight to boot.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by st530
And that was broad daylight to boot.
That was a very unusual set of circumstances.

Brazilian ATC had forgotten about the biz jet. They were in a non-radar area separation should have been provided based on position reports. The biz jet's F/O had accidentally turned off their transponder so the 737's TCAS didn't see them. If they were in an area of radar service, the controller would have seen the primary radar target and the ATC computer would have continued to track it. The biz jet's crew past a fix where there was a planned climb due to a course change. They should have requested the altitude change and, at that time, would have realized that they had lost communication with ATC. They didn't, and that left them at the wrong altitude for direction of flight which was what put them head-on with the 737 that was at the proper altitude.
SPN Lifer and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.