Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2022, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serpens
How often in regular? I had one refundable ticket that I cancelled 2.5 days before departure earlier this month, and I hope to cancel another refundable ticket in the near future (probably 1.5 days before departure). In both cases, the refundable tickets were in case Amtrak had one of its all-too-frequent meltdowns, and (given Amtrak's continued all-too-frequent meltdowns) I might make two similar reservations for February. Am I getting on thin ice?
There have been a couple of high-profile cases where UA or other airlines closed down a frequent flyer account for long-term patterns they deemed abusive. Four short-haul tickets over a couple of months isn't likely to be noticed, particularly if you're flying Y. In theory, speculative bookings are contrary to the CoC… but refundable tickets exist because plans change. So UA is trying to work a balancing act, having its cake and eating it too on this issue, and in practice that means that they're only going after things that they feel are flagrantly abusive. Booking tickets on three successive flights because you don't know when you'll get to the airport? Abusive. Canceling flights occasionally because your plans fell through? Not abusive.

I wouldn't worry about the behavior you're describing, personally.
SPN Lifer and findark like this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 5:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jsloan
[...]
I wouldn't worry about the behavior you're describing, personally.
Many thanks for putting my mind at ease.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 12:34 pm

Priority phone support for Polaris ticket without Premier status

Sorry if this has been answered, but I couldn't find anything via search or on the united site. There's a lot about Premier Access at the airport, but nothing about whether this includes any expanded customer service.

Do passengers flying Polaris without any Premier status have access to any priority phone support beyond the normal United phone number?

In February I am flying PIT-SFO-HND on an I award ticket. I don't have even Silver status, and don't think I have any way to grab the 1800 PQPs I'd need to get it by the end of tomorrow. My connection in SFO is only a little over an hour, so I want to have my ducks in a row if a winter delay causes me to miss my connection. I know that if I make it to SFO I will have access to the service desk in the Polaris lounge, but if I already know I will miss my connection when I am still in Pittsburgh (no United club even), is there a priority support line I can use to try and reroute my flights that may be faster/more helpful than the standard mileage plus call center?

Thanks
Old Dec 30, 2022, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by famouspotatoes
Do passengers flying Polaris without any Premier status have access to any priority phone support beyond the normal United phone number?
No, it's all status-based.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 1:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by famouspotatoes
... if I already know I will miss my connection when I am still in Pittsburgh (no United club even), is there a priority support line I can use to try and reroute my flights that may be faster/more helpful than the standard mileage plus call center? ...
Day of travel issues are best handled at the airport, as airport agents have greater flexibility. While waiting in line is the issue at the airport, there is an option ,Agent on Demand, which connects you to an virtual airport agent (a live person, not a bot)

Elites can call from the airport but without status your response may be slow
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 11:08 pm

UA business/first & lounges vs OW and Air Tahiti Nui?

I’m an elite AA flyer, to the exclusion of other alliances (I don’t travel enough to make elite anywhere else). Having said that, I have a trip to Tahiti coming up and it’s $2k cheaper to fly United domestic first, international business than it is to fly OW, so it seems like a no-brainer. Reviews of Polaris lounges sound promising.

For those of you who fly multiple airlines & alliances, how do you find the United business offering compares? My alternative is AA/Air Tahiti Nui. I know AA domestic first is hit or miss compared to some other airlines-have to be careful which plane flies the route, with no guarantee it won’t change before the trip. Any thoughts about flying this route with United, and recommendations on which plane configs to look for if I have a choice? TIA
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by erdoran
Reviews of Polaris lounges sound promising.
The Polaris lounges are excellent, highly recommend. It sounds like you'll have access to the SFO Polaris Lounge, which is quite large as well.

For those of you who fly multiple airlines & alliances, how do you find the United business offering compares? My alternative is AA/Air Tahiti Nui. I know AA domestic first is hit or miss compared to some other airlines-have to be careful which plane flies the route, with no guarantee it won’t change before the trip. Any thoughts about flying this route with United, and recommendations on which plane configs to look for if I have a choice? TIA
The only plane on SFO-PPT is the 787-9. It sounds like you are flying AAA-SFO-PPT, what is your origin?
Old Dec 31, 2022, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by davidchui
Does funding the travelbank no longer work? That's probably the best thing if it still works since you can just use that to pay for travel next year. If it still works, I'd also suggest coming back in 2 weeks and using up the 2023 travel credit too. I know that was disabled for a while but UA brought it back during COVID and it looks like it's still available. It definitely worked as of February 2022

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/acc...ravelbank.html
Thanks for this suggestion. I opted to go with this route today and we'll see if it works and triggers the $200 fee reimbursement. If it doesn't, I guess I'm zero sum and not "out" anything. I really couldn't find anything to be able to otherwise use the fee on since all of the other usual things that the fee might cover I get through other CCs or through FF status.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 12:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I opted to go with this route today and we'll see if it works and triggers the $200 fee reimbursement. If it doesn't, I guess I'm zero sum and not "out" anything.
No reason it shouldn't work. Currently taking about five days from purchase to credit.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 12:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Closing the 2022 thread and have opened the
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2023]

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 24, 2023 at 10:52 pm Reason: closing thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.