Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just cant find it or arent sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Old Oct 6, 2022, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Johhny5Alive
If a partner flight is booked on united dot com is it still awarded full PQP value and not limited to (1500 or 1000)? Or, is PQP value awarded solely on the metal?
If the flight is purchased through united.com, it will be an 016 ticket and PQPs will be calculated based on the fare.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 4:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Johhny5Alive
If a partner flight is booked on united dot com is it still awarded full PQP value and not limited to (1500 or 1000)? ...
As mention if purchased on UA ticket, the flight earns PQPs based on fare, not miles and there is no cap or preferred carrier concept. It earns just like a UA operated flight.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 6:03 pm

Programs: United
WineCountryUA Kacee Got it! Thanks!!!
Old Oct 6, 2022, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Going nuts trying to find what I think should be basic information: how do I know what the mileage/co-pay requirements are for mileage upgrade awards? I recall a (rather busy) multi-page chart in PDF but cant find anything recent.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Going nuts trying to find what I think should be basic information: how do I know what the mileage/co-pay requirements are for mileage upgrade awards? I recall a (rather busy) multi-page chart in PDF but can’t find anything recent.
I don't believe that chart exists any longer.

Attached is what I believe is the last published chart. (They are extracted from a longer document because FT won't allow the full file.) Most of the elements are close to current values.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Going nuts trying to find what I think should be basic information: how do I know what the mileage/co-pay requirements are for mileage upgrade awards? I recall a (rather busy) multi-page chart in PDF but can’t find anything recent.
While not longer published, the last award chart is mostly valid (does not mention PemPlus)

The miles+copay for a specific flight can be found using the Interactive travel destinations awards chart

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 7, 2022 at 5:57 am
Old Oct 6, 2022, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Whole no longer published, the last award chart is mostly valid (doe not mention PemPlus)

The miles+copay for a specific flight can be found using the Interactive travel destinations awards chart
Thank you! Why is that page nearly impossible to find on UA.com? No link from any of the pages I found about mileage upgrade awards. (E.g., here: http://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/...s/upgrade.html )
Old Oct 7, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Hoping to make sure there are no lesser known *A tricks I am unaware of on the following booking.

Looking at PPT-SFO-SEA in economy for 3 passengers on UA April 2023. Can book through UA or AC programs. (10% transfer bonus from chase with AC due to CC holder and sitting on some to burn, vs slightly lower $ surcharge through UA).

No status with United, AC 25K (*A silver) status thx to Aeroplan Chase card, ANA Platinum (*A Gold) status thanks to match from AA PPro.

Any particular perks as to whether I should transfer points from Chase to UA or AC to book the flight for this booking, and to whether I use either of my *A Status member numbers on the booking for perks like free checked bags (kind of confusing on the *A website on this), preferred seating (I seem to recall I got for free on UA when crediting to AC earlier this year, but not E+), lounge access during layover (no Polaris but I should be able to get into the United Club with the Gold status regardless of which program I book/credit through)?

I would like to remain open have the best options to rebook into business if UA opens up space by some miracle, with the dynamic award prices am I going to have better options booking through UA to start (a long shot I know)? Lastly any difference in getting cash buy up offers if I book the redemption via UA or AC in the group's experience? I know I have gotten ToD buy up offers to First when traveling on UA redemption tickets domestically.

Thanks in advance for your patience and assistance with these questions.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by HiAperture
Hoping to make sure there are no lesser known *A tricks I am unaware of on the following booking.

Looking at PPT-SFO-SEA in economy for 3 passengers on UA April 2023. Can book through UA or AC programs. (10% transfer bonus from chase with AC due to CC holder and sitting on some to burn, vs slightly lower $ surcharge through UA).

No status with United, AC 25K (*A silver) status thx to Aeroplan Chase card, ANA Platinum (*A Gold) status thanks to match from AA PPro.

Any particular perks as to whether I should transfer points from Chase to UA or AC to book the flight for this booking, and to whether I use either of my *A Status member numbers on the booking for perks like free checked bags (kind of confusing on the *A website on this), preferred seating (I seem to recall I got for free on UA when crediting to AC earlier this year, but not E+), lounge access during layover (no Polaris but I should be able to get into the United Club with the Gold status regardless of which program I book/credit through)?

I would like to remain open have the best options to rebook into business if UA opens up space by some miracle, with the dynamic award prices am I going to have better options booking through UA to start (a long shot I know)? Lastly any difference in getting cash buy up offers if I book the redemption via UA or AC in the group's experience? I know I have gotten ToD buy up offers to First when traveling on UA redemption tickets domestically.

Thanks in advance for your patience and assistance with these questions.
Answering my own question here, I forgot that Aeroplan resumed charging for changes and cancellations on award redemptions, so that coupled with the higher cash component, and being stuck dealing with Aeroplan on schedule changes with UA (which I have experienced before and was not pretty) I decided to book via UA.

I input my ANA *A Gold status number on the booking and the charges for bags are crossed through and say $0 for first AND second bag, so my presumption is that the status has been reflected on the booking.

No dice on preferred seats and I mis-remembered getting that earlier this year using my AC status because I ended up buying up a ToD upgrade to domestic F on that earlier flight and I recall now being refunded the nominal fee for a preferred window seat I had paid.

Indeed as soon as I booked with points I was immediately offered to buy up to PE or J, at insane prices of course, but I'll keep an eye on that 'til the bitter end!
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 5:02 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
schedule changes & PQPs quwey

For the 2nd year in a row, I am struggling to understand the requalification requirements for UA G * status for next year ?
Specifically, i need to know if change my flights (i.e. not an upgrade) to an itin with a higher PQP allocation, do I receive the higher credit? Or, the original?
It makes sense to me I get the higher amount - but - I recall reading somewhere it is based on the orgiinal itinerarcy?
NB My query only concerns meeting the 6000 PQP requirement i.e. I am fine for PQF!
Old Oct 10, 2022, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
For the 2nd year in a row, I am struggling to understand the requalification requirements for UA G * status for next year ?
Specifically, i need to know if change my flights (i.e. not an upgrade) to an itin with a higher PQP allocation, do I receive the higher credit? Or, the original?
It makes sense to me I get the higher amount - but - I recall reading somewhere it is based on the orgiinal itinerarcy?
NB My query only concerns meeting the 6000 PQP requirement i.e. I am fine for PQF!
It matters how your ticket is purchased (through United or through a partner airline), and on which carrier(s) you are flying with.

Maybe provide an example for more clarity.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 5:27 pm

16 PQF and 6,000 PQP
or 7,000 PQP

Specifically, i need to know if change my flights (i.e. not an upgrade) to an itin with a higher PQP allocation, do I receive the higher credit? Or, the original? ...
Fare is the factor if booked on a UA ticket (016). If you upfare or upgrade a UA segment, your will get higher PQPs. The upgrade PQPs will be a separate postings.
And if you upfare (not upgrade) partner segment on a UA ticket, that will be reflected in the posted PQPs

If you are talking about a partner issued ticket, it depends about the fare class and distance and partner type, not the fare.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 5:26 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
more details, thanks for the questions

No partner issue tix, thanks for the question. All tix. are 016 and purchased directly via united.com
I hesitated to provide flight details but since the question was asked...............I am in J, YOW-EWR-ORD-AMS and with the schedule change I can switch for free to YOW-IAD-IAH-AMSfor a lot more PQPs.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
No partner issue tix, thanks for the question. All tix. are 016 and purchased directly via united.com
I hesitated to provide flight details but since the question was asked...............I am in J, YOW-EWR-ORD-AMS and with the schedule change I can switch for free to YOW-IAD-IAH-AMSfor a lot more PQPs.
PQP for 016 ticket stick are based on the fare, meaning you will earn PQP on what you paid regardless of the distance of the route.

Where are you seeing "a lot more PQPs"?
Old Oct 11, 2022, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is a spurious display for the change flights tool with the schedule change waiver. Your original PQP (receipt airfare +/- a few) will post after flying.
jsloan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.