Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2022, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serpens
Thanks for that URL; I hadn't seen it before. (I had used Google Flights, but I hadn't looked at the linked pages.)

But if I knew the flight number, I wouldn't need to do anything other than see where the flight originated. If I don't know the flight number, it sounds like I can't look up the tail number (and I certainly don't know it), so I can't see where the flight originated. I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but I'm certainly missing something.
If you know the departure flight number, you can look up the tail number, and then that will tell you the arrival flight number. (edit: UA also tells you this with where does my flight come from; but if looking for the reverse, you need to cross reference.)

But if all you know is that a CR5 arrived at EWR, it is not very easy to figure out which one it is, nor where it is going / came from.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Flightradar24 is a good resource to grab the tail # using only the flight number.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by fumje
Not really practical for getting a full list, but as far as public/free services, you can try a handful of routes on ITA matrix with routing code
Code:
N:UA
and extension code
Code:
aircraft t:cr5
on a particular day to see options.

E.g.,
Is there a paid option? I have an EF account and FR24 has a free trial.

Are there any other operators of the CRJ-550 than GoJet? I guess this route map helps narrow it down to a superset of the CRJ5 routes: https://www.gojetairlines.com/route-map
Old Jan 29, 2022, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ralphs
Is there a paid option? I have an EF account and FR24 has a free trial.

Are there any other operators of the CRJ-550 than GoJet? I guess this route map helps narrow it down to a superset of the CRJ5 routes: https://www.gojetairlines.com/route-map
For now, just GoJet.

CRJ-550 is really just a CRJ7 aircraft repackaged.

The map probably covers most of the routes, but not all of them. For example, LGA isn't on the map, and there are flights between LGA and IAD using the 550.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
If I paid to check a bag at check-in, but my waitlisted MUA cleared at the gate, am I eligible for a refund of the fee?
Old Jan 29, 2022, 5:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Wooglin
If I paid to check a bag at check-in, but my waitlisted MUA cleared at the gate, am I eligible for a refund of the fee?
Strictly speaking no -- the fee is based on cabin at check-in ... but you can try and may be get lucky. But no is the policy answer.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 7:26 am

Programs: A3 Gold; FB Gold; Hertz Gold
Hi everyone,

I'm having difficulty adding my FF information to an existing United booking -- both for myself and the other passenger on the reservation who is also an Aegean Star Gold member -- see screenshot below. I've tried via the app as well, and it also doesn't work.
Is this a known issue? Is there any workaround other than calling?
Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by W126Pilot
Hi everyone,

I'm having difficulty adding my FF information to an existing United booking -- both for myself and the other passenger on the reservation who is also an Aegean Star Gold member -- see screenshot below. I've tried via the app as well, and it also doesn't work.
Is this a known issue? Is there any workaround other than calling?
Do the names match, including middle name? Did you enter a different program at booking?

You may have to wait until check-in, or contact UA (try the twitter team).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...heckin-10.html
Old Feb 2, 2022, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is a weird behavior I have experienced on the app (Android):

​​​​​​1) Checked in as normal at T-24, boarding pass shown in the app
2) Hours later, the app is still saying "Ready for check-in".
3) Further, I have noticed an additional option to "Check in remaining passengers" - the discrepancy here is I am the only passenger on the PNR. Click through brings up the already checked-in itinerary screen.

Has anyone else experienced this before? Not sure if it is an app bug (have not looked on desktop), or irregular behavior on the ticket itself (I did chance flight prior to check-in, which changed fare bucket class, ticketed cabin, and PlusPoints modification - full disclosure).​​​
Old Feb 7, 2022, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any way to book with United Explorer card before getting it?

I have been waiting almost a week for my shiny new United Explorer card to arrive. I'd like to book a flight with it. Is there a way to get the full card number, expiration, and cvv code before I receive the card? I was able to add it to my Apple wallet - is there a way to use Apple Pay with United?
Old Feb 8, 2022, 4:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, CO Elite
Please excuse my beginner ignorance but how do I receive Star Alliance Gold recognition from another airline on United flights? I'm Kris Flyer gold and I want to book some basic economy flights on United. The star alliance gold should get me seat assignment and free bag allowance. When I book, do I use my Kris Flyer #? If so, do I not earn miles on United? Do I use my United #? If so, how do they know about my gold status?
Old Feb 8, 2022, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you want to earn with SQ and use your SQ benefits (baggage, lounge), enter your SQ FFN.

You would only use your UA FFN if you want to earn with UA.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 6:25 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
[QUOTE=Repooc17;33959370]Here is a weird behavior I have experienced on the app (Android):

​​​​​​1) Checked in as normal at T-24, boarding pass shown in the app
2) Hours later, the app is still saying "Ready for check-in".
Has anyone else experienced this before?

Yes. In mid-January I had a two segment trip (first leg domestic; second leg international to Europe). I returned in early February, and the same thing happened.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Expert mode for 1K?

I haven't been 1k since the old days of the GPU and either I have forgot how things worked or the codes are different nowadays. I am a 1k again and want to use my plus points for international upgrade from Y to J. When looking at flights on expert mode, for what fare code should I look for to get "instant" upgrades? how about for LH upgrades?

Thanks in advance.
Shawn
Old Feb 9, 2022, 7:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bruin1K
I haven't been 1k since the old days of the GPU and either I have forgot how things worked or the codes are different nowadays. I am a 1k again and want to use my plus points for international upgrade from Y to J. When looking at flights on expert mode, for what fare code should I look for to get "instant" upgrades? ...
For an 1K you need PZ

Originally Posted by Bruin1K
how about for LH upgrades? ...
No simple answer -- I is a decent indicator, see LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,.. especially the wiki
Bruin1K likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.