Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2022, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by herquiethands
I am seeing that Premium Plus fare classes (A and O) are available if you look at SFO-EWR non-stop flight, but not available for the first leg of a SFO-EWR-FCO flight for the exact same day. Why would that be the case?
Would be helpful to have more details, but most likely because PE is sold out on EWR-FCO.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 5:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I am seeing that Premium Plus fare classes (A and O) are available if you look at SFO-EWR non-stop flight, but not available for the first leg of a SFO-EWR-FCO flight for the exact same day. Why would that be the case?
Can you purchase PremPlus just on EWR-FCO?

Also, try using Multiple City ticketing SFO-EWR and then EWR-FCO.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Would be helpful to have more details, but most likely because PE is sold out on EWR-FCO.
Hi Kacee, thanks for the response -- here is an example, the departure is Dec 18th. I see now several fare classes are available in the individual non-stops vs. the connecting flight... is this normal? Let me know if there's something else I'm missing 👀

Old Sep 19, 2022, 5:33 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The fare class availability will default to the lowest number on either flight. But in this case, EWR-FCO is O9 A0 R0.

I can't explain why UA won't sell an O fare all the way through. Except that there has been lots of funkiness with mismatches between inventory and fares for sale lately.
herquiethands likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 5:46 pm

Odds of upgrade as 1K without plus points

Quick question. I have a ton of plus points, but recently booked an economy flight from EWR to LHR with miles. Are the odds of an upgrade on an economy award flight typically slim to none?
Old Sep 19, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by vbiagiot
recently booked an economy flight from EWR to LHR with miles. Are the odds of an upgrade on an economy award flight typically slim to none?
They're zero if you don't have a United credit card (not including cash upgrades).
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi Kacee, thanks for the response -- here is an example, the departure is Dec 18th. I see now several fare classes are available in the individual non-stops vs. the connecting flight... is this normal? Let me know if there's something else I'm missing 👀
It's normal-ish. What you're seeing is the result of married inventory, where UA keeps an entirely separate set of inventory for each valid combination of flights that they want to market together. It's weird that it's O0, admittedly.

Try multi-city search; you can sometimes get around this kind of issue. It won't affect the way the flights are actually ticketed.

The fare class availability will default to the lowest number on either flight. But in this case, EWR-FCO is O9 A0 R0.
I mean, sort of? It's actually best, IMO, to think of married inventory as completely independent of the underlying flights.

I can't explain why UA won't sell an O fare all the way through. Except that there has been lots of funkiness with mismatches between inventory and fares for sale lately.
Definitely true.

Quick question. I have a ton of plus points, but recently booked an economy flight from EWR to LHR with miles. Are the odds of an upgrade on an economy award flight typically slim to none?
Most EWR-LHR flights have Premium Plus in addition to Polaris, so you're asking about a two-class operational upgrade. Won't happen, sorry.

Note that your PlusPoints don't help either, unless you're a GS; 1K or below, you can't use PlusPoints to upgrade an award ticket.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
They're zero if you don't have a United credit card (not including cash upgrades).
EWR-LHR isn't a CPU route. There are no complimentary upgrades available.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Also, try using Multiple City ticketing SFO-EWR and then EWR-FCO.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Try multi-city search; you can sometimes get around this kind of issue. It won't affect the way the flights are actually ticketed.
Multi-city tool will no longer allow same day connections.

It's normal-ish. What you're seeing is the result of married inventory, where UA keeps an entirely separate set of inventory for each valid combination of flights that they want to market together
Actually, it's the opposite of married segment inventory, since there is no PE inventory on the combined route. It would be married segments if PE was only available from SFO-FCO, not the individual segments.

I'm calling this another manifestation of the rather prevalent recent issues involving mismatches between displayed inventory and fares for sale. I believe there's at least one thread on the issue already.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Multi-city tool will no longer allow same day connections.
Yes it will; either use the app, or use the low-fare calendar to adjust the date after you start searching. (Yes, it's ridiculous).

Actually, it's the opposite of married segment inventory, since there is no PE inventory on the combined route. It would be married segments if PE was only available from SFO-FCO, not the individual segments.
It's really the same thing, though. In either case, when you search SFO-FCO, you don't see individual SFO-EWR inventory and EWR-SFO inventory; you see inventory that's specific to SFO-FCO. The fact that they're showing O0 just means that on the married SFO-FCO inventory, the value is O0.

I get what you're saying -- people normally use married inventory to mean "if you want to buy EWR-FCO, you must also buy SFO-EWR." But that's just one manifestation of the same underlying technology: married inventory can be better or worse than the underlying inventory. That's why I was suggesting just to look at it as if they have a completely separate inventory bucket for SFO-FCO; as a matter of fact, I suspect they do.
SPN Lifer, Kacee and findark like this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 7:29 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
That's why I was suggesting just to look at it as if they have a completely separate inventory bucket for SFO-FCO; as a matter of fact, I suspect they do.
Not just different buckets, but different fares with different rules.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 8:39 pm

For sure. But to be clear, UA publishes numerous O, A, and R fares SFO-FCO, so this is not a situation where there is no published fare for the route.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course, but the two aren't really related.

Prior to married inventory, if you wanted to fly SFO-FCO via EWR on an R fare, you'd look up the SFO-EWR inventory and the EWR-FCO inventory and look to see if there was sufficient inventory in the R bucket in each one. If so, it would ticket.

With married inventory logic, if you want to fly SFO-FCO via EWR on an R fare, you look up the SFO-FCO inventory for the flight combination you want. It's a separate database entry, independent of SFO-EWR or EWR-FCO. This creates a quadratic storage issue -- if you have n flights, you have n^2 combinations of them. (You're obviously not marketing every possible combination, but it's the logical upper bound). That would have been a problem in the 1970s, but it's less so today. Hence, what UA does -- sell its inventory across combinations of connecting flights.

As for SFO-FCO in particular -- somebody probably just screwed up. :/
Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:01 am

Hmm, I have a United Quest card and I booked whatever the premium plus seat is that you can book with 1K. Would an upgrade to economy plus be a possibility?
Old Sep 20, 2022, 5:50 am

Programs: UA
Hmm, I have a United Quest card and I booked whatever the premium plus seat is that you can book with 1K. Would an upgrade to economy plus be a possibility?
Premium Plus is the premium economy cabin. Economy plus refers to the preferred seating section of the regular economy cabin. That would be a downgrade.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have the two terms switched around. As a 1K, you'd be entitled to free Economy Plus seating without paying a fee. These are extra-legroom seats in the economy cabin. You would not be entitled to Premium Plus unless you selected it (for more miles) during the booking process. It'd be its own column, called "Premium Economy," in the search results.

No, you will not be eligible for a complimentary upgrade to Premium Plus as a 1K on a long-haul route, nor can you use your PlusPoints (because it's an award ticket and you're not Global Services).

Having the Quest card as a 1K would make you eligible for upgrades on routes where complimentary upgrades are available -- e.g., most domestic and short-haul international routes. It does not make any difference on TATL/TPAC flights, where there are no complimentary upgrades in the first place.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.