Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 12, 22, 3:13 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just cant find it or arent sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Old Aug 5, 22, 9:42 am
  #601  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 16,803
Originally Posted by CPS89 View Post
Thanks for the info as always jsloan.

One of the recent misconnects was a 3+ hour delay- missing crew member. Not even sure how they handle this at an airport without a crew base. The other was 3+ due to a delayed incoming plane. I've chosen to go home and sleep in my bed versus dealing with whichever hotel they want to put me in at the connecting city.

*If* I were ever able to convince UA to rebook on another airline, do I have a better shot with the gate agent or the 1K line?
Happy to help.

Missing crew, I would generally have expected them to put you onto the DL flight if there was an available seat in your ticketed class of service. Delayed inbound, it would depend upon what the reason for that plane's delay was. Unfortunately, as you can see, it remains YMMV. (I'd be writing into 1K Voice about the first one, though).

Pre-COVID, I've had OAL arrangements made by both 1K agents and gate staff. (Since I've resumed flying, I haven't had a situation where OAL would help). I'd expect the gate agent to be the most willing, because they know the current situation best and also because you're standing right in front of them, but it's generally a lot faster to get through to the 1K desk than to wait in line for re-accommodation behind a lot of other unhappy passengers, many of whom won't be prepared with a specific alternative.

Hopefully your run of misconnects comes to a close... 🤞
CPS89 likes this.
jsloan is offline  
Old Aug 6, 22, 1:43 pm
  #602  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34
Hi everyone - I have two questions. Thank you in advance!
  1. On Tuesday, I purchased a $299 upgrade to first class for a flight coming up in September. My PQP hasnt gone up to reflect the purchase. Does anyone know when I can expect PQP to increase, or if I should call about it?
  2. Due to IRROPS yesterday, my ORD > EWR flight was canceled and I rebooked via a phone agent. Today I flew home via ORD > DCA > EWR. Im not seeing anything reflecting this in my Recent Activity, and my PQP/PQF/Lifetime miles havent increased immediately like they normally do. How long should I wait before calling?
NJDevils26 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 22, 2:34 pm
  #603  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,384
Originally Posted by NJDevils26 View Post
Hi everyone - I have two questions. Thank you in advance!
  1. On Tuesday, I purchased a $299 upgrade to first class for a flight coming up in September. My PQP hasnt gone up to reflect the purchase. Does anyone know when I can expect PQP to increase, or if I should call about it?
  2. Due to IRROPS yesterday, my ORD > EWR flight was canceled and I rebooked via a phone agent. Today I flew home via ORD > DCA > EWR. Im not seeing anything reflecting this in my Recent Activity, and my PQP/PQF/Lifetime miles havent increased immediately like they normally do. How long should I wait before calling?
1. Will not post until after you have flown, generally 2-3 days post flight.

2. Give it 24-48 hrs. Last minute tickets are not posted immediately.
NJDevils26 likes this.
Repooc17 is offline  
Old Aug 7, 22, 7:15 pm
  #604  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 593
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
That's an LH fare basis, plated on a UA ticket.
Thanks for this insight, because the initial rep I talked to insisted up and down it wasn't a PE ticket!

No dice on the Scandanavian, as expected, and the initial rep was pretty clueless. I eventually asked for a supervisor and he put me on the last Premium Economy seat for sale on the morning US flight from ORD-FRA so I should get into Stockholm around 9 AM. But it was a struggle and the initial rep refused to put me on a AUS-IAD-FRA-ARN routing saying it was not available when it was literally for sale on United.com.

I think the Lufthansa fare plating must have caused a lot of issues because it took forever for the ticket to get issued, it kept erroring out, and I'm just in regular economy on the AUS-ORD leg with no + seating (but I figure I can get that at check in since I'm silver).
jsloan likes this.
OssianBlue is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 1:20 pm
  #605  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 55
Couple questions regarding upgrading with cash and miles on United and its Star Alliance partners: Thanks in advance!
[We are mileageplus members but no status]

1. My wife is going to Europe from IAH on a work conference trip - the company will pay for Premium Economy. The questions are:
(a) after the PE purchases, can she call United and upgrade to Business and pay for the difference, and be guaranteed a business class seat(xx)?
(b) The flights to and from will involve other Star Alliance partners (typically stopping in LHR or FRA and continuing to VIE) like Lufthansa, or Austrian airlines for the last leg - so will the upgrade carry over into those airlines? (although I read that the business class on Europe short flights are just having a blocked seat next to you).
(c) I noticed we can possible pay for the PE ticket, then upgrade for 20,000 miles or 25,000 miles (+cash sometimes if I recall correctly) - is that guaranteed or is that the one where higher priority MP members get it first even if we do that immediately after purchase?

2. Same questions if we end up choosing Lufthansa round trip (all Lufthansa operated flights) but book through United. Can we upgrade with cash and get guaranteed business seats? If we use MP points to get the upgrade from PE to Business is that also guaranteed or MP status get preference? What if we book directly with Lufthansa for PE and then upgrade to business with cash - is that guaranteed seat? (I know not United, but similar questions so hopefully doesn't need to be moved to Lufthansa)

(xx) I ask this because of reading various blogs about United upgrades, it seems like other higher MileagePlus status members get preference - but that didn't make sense if paying cash(credit card) for the difference to upgrade.

Looking at seat availability - I can see about 40+ business class seats available still on the Lufthansa/747-8 and United/777 flights - not sure if that matters with MP point upgrades.

Last edited by pilsn3r; Aug 8, 22 at 1:27 pm
pilsn3r is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 1:42 pm
  #606  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 16,803
Originally Posted by pilsn3r View Post
1. My wife is going to Europe from IAH on a work conference trip - the company will pay for Premium Economy. The questions are:
(a) after the PE purchases, can she call United and upgrade to Business and pay for the difference, and be guaranteed a business class seat(xx)?
If you are willing to pay the difference between the current PE fare and the current business fare, you can "re-fare" or "change" (don't say "upgrade") to a business class ticket. This type of ticket is indistinguishable from what she'd get if she bought a business class ticket directly, and it will be good on the entire itinerary, including connecting flights.

United will also likely offer a "sticker-type" upgrade after ticketing, that would only be good on the United flight. This isn't waitlisted -- you'd still be "guaranteed" a seat -- but you can run into additional complications if there are delays or cancellations on the day of departure and you want to be re-routed on a non-United flight over the water. (If you're routed on another United flight, it shouldn't cause any additional problems). These sticker-type upgrades are often discounted from the current fare difference.

Originally Posted by pilsn3r View Post
(b) The flights to and from will involve other Star Alliance partners (typically stopping in LHR or FRA and continuing to VIE) like Lufthansa, or Austrian airlines for the last leg - so will the upgrade carry over into those airlines? (although I read that the business class on Europe short flights are just having a blocked seat next to you).
Yes if you follow the first procedure outlined above; no if you follow the second. The primary differences between business and economy in Europe are (a) the blocked middle seat; (b) you'll likely get served a meal; and (c) you'll have access to the business-class lounge at the departure airport.

Originally Posted by pilsn3r View Post
(c) I noticed we can possible pay for the PE ticket, then upgrade for 20,000 miles or 25,000 miles (+cash sometimes if I recall correctly) - is that guaranteed or is that the one where higher priority MP members get it first even if we do that immediately after purchase?
If there is no immediate availability in the upgrade fare class -- i.e., if it says "waitlisted" as you try this -- then you risk being jumped in the queue by anyone with status. However, if you've both purchased PE, you'll be ahead of most passengers in the economy cabin who are trying to upgrade, even if they have status.

Originally Posted by pilsn3r View Post
2. Same questions if we end up choosing Lufthansa round trip (all Lufthansa operated flights) but book through United. Can we upgrade with cash and get guaranteed business seats?
The option to pay the entire fare difference to business class still applies. However, the other option -- buying a sticker-type upgrade from UA -- does not. You'd need to use Lufthansa's upgrade bidding system. At one point in the past, that was difficult on a United-issued ticket. I'm not sure if it's still the same.

Originally Posted by pilsn3r View Post
If we use MP points to get the upgrade from PE to Business is that also guaranteed or MP status get preference?
If upgrade space is available, it could be confirmed immediately. If not, you'd have to go on a waitlist. I don't know how that waitlist is ordered, but I suspect that Lufthansa's frequent flyers would have priority.

Originally Posted by pilsn3r View Post
What if we book directly with Lufthansa for PE and then upgrade to business with cash - is that guaranteed seat? (I know not United, but similar questions so hopefully doesn't need to be moved to Lufthansa)
If you book directly with Lufthansa, you'll be at the mercy of their policies. I believe this would give you the same two options -- change to business class at its current price, or participate in the auction.

Originally Posted by pilsn3r View Post
Looking at seat availability - I can see about 40+ business class seats available still on the Lufthansa/747-8 and United/777 flights - not sure if that matters with MP point upgrades.
The seat map is not a great indication of load. You would want to look at inventory numbers. You can find UA's inventory numbers by searching the forum for "expert mode" and following the instructions to activate it. LH's inventory numbers are not quite as readily available, although, in general, if you can book a business class award on the flight you want, that's a good sign that you may be able to upgrade into it.
SPN Lifer and pilsn3r like this.
jsloan is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 3:04 pm
  #607  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 12,751
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
If you are willing to pay the difference between the current PE fare and the current business fare, you can "re-fare" or "change" (don't say "upgrade") to a business class ticket. This type of ticket is indistinguishable from what she'd get if she bought a business class ticket directly, and it will be good on the entire itinerary, including connecting flights.
Note that changing a ticket issued by a corporate travel agency may require multiple tries for an agent willing to touch it, and may cause issues with the agency and/or the expense trail. It certainly can be done, but there are pitfalls.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and pilsn3r like this.
findark is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 3:31 pm
  #608  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 55
jsload: Thank you! We'll probably just "re-fare" to business, because most of the return flights involve 2 stops and they are mostly Austrian or Swiss airlines. The only exception for decently priced 1 stop return flights are Lufthansa and UA through MUC, but they are early morning flights (plus the UA flight from MUC is a 767 and does not have PE).

findark: interesting...will have to talk to United on changing the ticket. But should be no problem on the cost side. corporate travel will know about our plan, and know that we owe the difference (plus the difference will be charged to a personal card), but hopefully UA will have no issue changing the ticket.
pilsn3r is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 3:36 pm
  #609  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 12,751
If corporate travel knows about and specifically approves your plan, it may be easier to do exactly the same thing (change to Business and tender a personal card for the add/collect) by contacting the agency instead. It depends a lot on the specifics - if you call UA just be ready to HUCA (hang up and call again) if the agent says something like "oh I can't change this ticket since it was issued by a travel agency". Other agents may mention a $50 fee to do this, and others will just do it without charge or complaint.

The issue is that when a UA agent changes the ticket, it gets reissued and is no longer visible to the corporate TA.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and pilsn3r like this.
findark is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 5:25 pm
  #610  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: CMH, SEA
Programs: AA Platinum Pro; AS MVP Gold, oneworld emerald
Posts: 2,515
Combination question/rant. In the app, why the heck is the "search nearby airports" the default? How can I turn this off?

it's so enraging every time I search say, AUS-CMH, and a bunch of IAH-PIT and SAT-CVG flights come up. Why in the world would UA think these are useful or relevant results? I am never, ever, driving to FORT WAYNE to fly anywhere.

I search AUS-CMH and literally the flight I'm looking for, going through IAH, doesnt appear. So I go in there and filter ONLY AUS and CMH, which is tiresome to do every time. Still I get IAH-PIT flights.
nineworldseries is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 8:00 pm
  #611  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 16,803
Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
Combination question/rant. In the app, why the heck is the "search nearby airports" the default? How can I turn this off?
Its not.

Ive also had it get stuck on before. IIRC, I cleared it by going into both my origin and destination selections and toggling the option on and off. It then stayed off. (This was in the app; are you on the app or using the web?)

Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
it's so enraging every time I search say, AUS-CMH, and a bunch of IAH-PIT and SAT-CVG flights come up. Why in the world would UA think these are useful or relevant results?
Because friends dont let friends fly to Columbus,
CPS89 likes this.
jsloan is offline  
Old Aug 9, 22, 11:34 am
  #612  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: CMH, SEA
Programs: AA Platinum Pro; AS MVP Gold, oneworld emerald
Posts: 2,515
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Its not.

Ive also had it get stuck on before. IIRC, I cleared it by going into both my origin and destination selections and toggling the option on and off. It then stayed off. (This was in the app; are you on the app or using the web?)


Because friends dont let friends fly to Columbus,
It's only in the app, and I can't figure out any way to turn it off. Even when I filter for strictly CMH, it ignores me.

I just searched CMH-SEA, and the first result it gave me was FWA-PDX (?!) It is making the app borderline unusable.
nineworldseries is offline  
Old Aug 9, 22, 11:58 am
  #613  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 16,803
Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
It's only in the app, and I can't figure out any way to turn it off. Even when I filter for strictly CMH, it ignores me.

I just searched CMH-SEA, and the first result it gave me was FWA-PDX (?!) It is making the app borderline unusable.
The Include airports within 100 miles option is on the screen that you get during the origin / destination selection process. Check both origin and destination; if they appear to be off, toggle them to on and then back off.

Thats whats worked for me the one time I had this problem. If that doesnt do the trick, try deleting the app and reinstalling it.

Its definitely not supposed to default to the 100-mile feature.(and CMH-FWA is 139 miles, so good math, United. )
jsloan is offline  
Old Aug 9, 22, 12:03 pm
  #614  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 60,596
Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
It's only in the app,....
Which app? Android or Apple?
What device?
App version?

Not seeing this behavior on my UA app 4.1.56 Samsung S10 Android 12

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 9, 22 at 12:11 pm Reason: my data
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Aug 9, 22, 4:42 pm
  #615  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: CMH, SEA
Programs: AA Platinum Pro; AS MVP Gold, oneworld emerald
Posts: 2,515
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
The Include airports within 100 miles option is on the screen that you get during the origin / destination selection process. Check both origin and destination; if they appear to be off, toggle them to on and then back off.

Thats whats worked for me the one time I had this problem. If that doesnt do the trick, try deleting the app and reinstalling it.

Its definitely not supposed to default to the 100-mile feature.(and CMH-FWA is 139 miles, so good math, United. )
OMG, thank you!! I don't know how I didn't see that little toggle switch. But yes, anyway, PIT, CLE, CVG, FWA are all well over 100 miles away.
jsloan likes this.
nineworldseries is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread