Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by rbakker
As I understand it (but I haven't been able to find a website that says so) we earn points up until Dec 31 (for the next year's status) but our benefits don't end until Jan 31? Thanks.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/mileageplus/premier/qualify.html

Your progress toward status is measured by two types of qualifying activity earned during the calendar year (January 1 through December 31). Your status is valid from the day you qualify through the end of the program year:

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/mileageplus/premier.html

2023 Premier status expires January 31, 2024.
rbakker likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by rbakker
As I understand it (but I haven't been able to find a website that says so) we earn points up until Dec 31 (for the next year's status) but our benefits don't end until Jan 31? Thanks.
Yes - think of it like a one-month grace period while things like a Dec 31 flight post and/or you need to get missing credit.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Just want to confirm my assumptions. I'm looking at flights for next spring DEN-KGL and the best price for Premium Economy is UA DEN-LGA, SN JFK-BRU-KGL. I'm assuming that, if we check bags, we will have to collect them at LGA and re-check them with SN at JFK, correct? The last time I did a connection even remotely like this was LH to JFK and UA out of LGA and I didn't have any checked bags. The absolute cheapest option is only a 2 hour connection, which I'm throwing out as too short (especially if we have to collect bags). The next cheapest is 3:40 and much more comfortable.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tods27
Just want to confirm my assumptions. I'm looking at flights for next spring DEN-KGL and the best price for Premium Economy is UA DEN-LGA, SN JFK-BRU-KGL. I'm assuming that, if we check bags, we will have to collect them at LGA and re-check them with SN at JFK, correct?
Yes, that's accurate.
tods27 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by tods27
Just want to confirm my assumptions. I'm looking at flights for next spring DEN-KGL and the best price for Premium Economy is UA DEN-LGA, SN JFK-BRU-KGL. I'm assuming that, if we check bags, we will have to collect them at LGA and re-check them with SN at JFK, correct? The last time I did a connection even remotely like this was LH to JFK and UA out of LGA and I didn't have any checked bags. The absolute cheapest option is only a 2 hour connection, which I'm throwing out as too short (especially if we have to collect bags). The next cheapest is 3:40 and much more comfortable.
What day of the week and approximate time would you be making that connection? What’s your risk tolerance, too? It’s a very feasible transfer and I’ve done it in reverse once. I wouldn’t attempt it with anything less than that 3:40 gap, though.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
1 hour: Q70 bus -> E train -> Airtrain
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking to change an already booked itinerary to a different date, as well as different origin/destination. Wholly US domestic one-way travel.

Does it make a difference between:

1) cancel, take flight credit, and book new flight using the credit
2) change flight and pay differences

TIA!
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Looking to change an already booked itinerary to a different date, as well as different origin/destination. Wholly US domestic one-way travel.

Does it make a difference between:

1) cancel, take flight credit, and book new flight using the credit
2) change flight and pay differences

TIA!
Any credit card benefits may not apply with #1. Other than that, they should work out identically, except that you're more likely to run into faring problems that require a phone call with option 2.
SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Any credit card benefits may not apply with #1. Other than that, they should work out identically, except that you're more likely to run into faring problems that require a phone call with option 2.
Yeah, don't do #2 without checking what the fare would be for the new booking. The pricing is often wrong (too high) when you use the change flights function.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:57 pm

If I get on the waitlist for an MileagePlus upgrade to Polaris class, but change to another flight, does my waitlist status get moved over to the new flight? Or do I get the pts + copay refunded and I have to request a new upgrade?
Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chizzle
If I get on the waitlist for an MileagePlus upgrade to Polaris class, but change to another flight, does my waitlist status get moved over to the new flight? ...
No

Originally Posted by chizzle
... Or do I get the pts + copay refunded and I have to request a new upgrade?
yes
Old Jul 22, 2022, 4:24 pm

I booked two roundtrip flights using miles and yesterday I changed both flights which resulted in me getting 13,700 miles back to my account. How long should I expect to wait for them to end up back in my account? They're not there yet and I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NJSkeeter
I booked two roundtrip flights using miles and yesterday I changed both flights which resulted in me getting 13,700 miles back to my account. How long should I expect to wait for them to end up back in my account? They're not there yet and I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere.
Generally it’s immediate; when it’s not, it may take a few days. If you need them immediately, you can contact the MileagePlus Service Center during their business hours and they can expedite the redeposit.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Generally it’s immediate; when it’s not, it may take a few days. If you need them immediately, you can contact the MileagePlus Service Center during their business hours and they can expedite the redeposit.
Awesome thanks. I've gotten answers ranging from 24 hours to 14 business days and could use them sooner rather than later.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 6:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NJSkeeter
Awesome thanks. I've gotten answers ranging from 24 hours to 14 business days and could use them sooner rather than later.
In the worse case those can be correct, but it is rarely a day unless the transactions needs to be reviewed and even then, 2-3 days in most cases. At a week I would be calling regardless and if a need exists sooner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.