Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:06 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
short connection at ORD

United will happily sell me a ticket involving a 44-minute domestic-domestic connection at ORD. Is that just daft? The thing is, the second flight is the last of the day. If the incoming is late (and it wouldn't have to be much, would it?) and I miss the connection, I don't suppose they would give me a hotel voucher (sardine class, no FF status). If it worked, it would be great; I'm just afraid that it's too big of a gamble.
WVmike likes this.

Last edited by henry999; Jul 16, 2022 at 11:46 am
Old Jul 16, 2022, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henry999
United will happily sell me a ticket involving a 44-minute domestic-domestic connection at ORD. Is that just daft? The thing is, the second flight is the last of the day. If the incoming is late (and it wouldn't have to be much, would it?) and I miss the connection, I don't suppose they would give me a hotel voucher (sardine class, no FF status). If it worked, it would be great; I'm just afraid that it's too big of a gamble.
If the delay is caused by something within their control, UA will provide a hotel voucher. If it’s caused by something out of their control — like summer evening thunderstorms at ORD — you’d be on your own. (For domestic-domestic, you’d even be on your own if you were in F).

Is it daft? It depends upon your risk tolerance. I’ve booked (and made) similar connections before. I’ve also booked (and missed) longer connections than that.

UA may hold the last flight of the day to a given destination by a few minutes for connecting passengers if it won’t have any effect on the overall arrival time. And, of course, if your flight is delayed due to weather at ORD, your connection probably is delayed also.
henry999 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Have a trip in September and I want to apply a MUA for the outbound flights (waitlist). We are a party of 3 and it will cost $ and a total of 60k miles. I don’t have 60k miles in my account so I’ll have to either transfer miles to my wife’s acct. or vice versa. Does it matter who on the PNR applies the MUA? I’m Gold and wife is Silver. If she applies the 60k miles from her acct. are we stuck as Silver on the waitlist or Gold? Reason asking is, she requires less miles than me to get the 60k.
Not interested in splitting itinerary although I know that would improve the chances of upgrading.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by VRFast
Have a trip in September and I want to apply a MUA for the outbound flights (waitlist). We are a party of 3 and it will cost $ and a total of 60k miles. I don’t have 60k miles in my account so I’ll have to either transfer miles to my wife’s acct. or vice versa.
You're better off just buying miles (or transferring from Chase or Marriott) rather than transferring them from another MP account. Waitlist priority is determined by the highest Premier status on the reservation.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and VRFast like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:26 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by VRFast
Have a trip in September and I want to apply a MUA for the outbound flights (waitlist). We are a party of 3 and it will cost $ and a total of 60k miles. I don’t have 60k miles in my account so I’ll have to either transfer miles to my wife’s acct. or vice versa. Does it matter who on the PNR applies the MUA? I’m Gold and wife is Silver. If she applies the 60k miles from her acct. are we stuck as Silver on the waitlist or Gold? Reason asking is, she requires less miles than me to get the 60k.
Not interested in splitting itinerary although I know that would improve the chances of upgrading.
The waitlist priority is based on the highest elite on the PNR.
The source of the miles can only be from one member if on a single PNR. You could split the PNR and use miles from multiiple accounts. But that than would impact the waitlist priority as the Gold member would only be one PNR.
Transferring or buying miles is not cheap -- 1.5 cpm to transfer UA miles, 2+ cpm to purchase (higher price but you effectively get 2x miles as the other account does not lose their miles). Hopefully you aren't talking a lot of miles.
The award cancellation fees are based on the status of the source of the miles but there are ways to avoid the fee.

The real issue is your chance to get 3 upgrades to clear -- that will depend on the route, your Gold status, purchased fare class, and day of the week. Far from a given in most cases. And the mileage purchase / transfer is non-refundable.
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight
jsloan, SPN Lifer and VRFast like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:51 pm

If I buy a United flight using my CHASE Sapphire points is that treated as cash for the purpose of elite qualification/points accrual?
Old Jul 16, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hotscot
If I buy a United flight using my CHASE Sapphire points is that treated as cash for the purpose of elite qualification/points accrual?
Yes, airfare booked THROUGH the portal (contra with points transferred FROM the portal TO the airline) count as cash bookings for all purposes.
jsloan and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotscot
Yes; however, if you need to make any changes, you’ll have to work with Chase Travel customer service, which is managed by Expedia.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
What are chances of getting CPU'd with plus points from ORD - OGG or Honolulu - ORD as a 1k?

Contemplating buying with cash to use plus points and score an upgrade. But if it's rare I'd rather use miles. Travel days would be Saturday/Sunday -> Saturday or Sunday during Feb/March.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport
What are chances of getting CPU'd with plus points from ORD - OGG or Honolulu - ORD as a 1k?
CPU and PlusPoints are two different things. Your chances of a CPU are zero. The only Hawaii flights eligible for CPU are to/from the West Coast.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport (Post # 534)
What are chances of getting CPU'd with plus points . . . ?
​​​​​​CPU = complimentary (free) Premier upgrade

If you use Plus Points (PP) or redeemable miles (RDM), the upgrade is no longer "complimentary" but "paid" for in the "currency" of PP or RDM.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport

Contemplating buying with cash to use plus points and score an upgrade. But if it's rare I'd rather use miles. Travel days would be Saturday/Sunday -> Saturday or Sunday during Feb/March.
Your chances of an upgrade of any kind, from Chicago to/from Hawaii nonstop, on a weekend in February / March, are approximately nil. If you want to sit up front, you’ll either need to buy a business class ticket or redeem a business class award.
SPN Lifer and findark like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:37 am

Programs: 12 year UAL GS, LT Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by henry999
I have been flying to, from and through ORD almost every week for the last 12 years and my answer would be it depends on a few facts/questions.

1. Will your flight be mainline to mainline or commuter to commuter plane? if the answer is positive for either scenario your chances are better because your walk from one flight to the next should be max 5 to 10 minutes. If the flights are mainline to commuter or vice versa, you are likely looking at potential walk between flights approaching 20 minutes.

2.If your first flight is on a CRJ, will your bag fit in the overhead? if yes, that saves 5 or 10 minutes versus a gate check bag..

As another poster mentioned, United has been pretty good of holding the last flights out a bit if you are close. If it were me, I would give it shot. Maybe call the 1K desk the day of departure and ask if they can back you up on the first flight out in case it goes bad.

If the question was AA via Charlotte, I would say hell no!
henry999 likes this.

Last edited by WVmike; Jul 17, 2022 at 6:34 am
Old Jul 19, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: UA Gold
As I understand it (but I haven't been able to find a website that says so) we earn points up until Dec 31 (for the next year's status) but our benefits don't end until Jan 31? Thanks.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbakker
As I understand it (but I haven't been able to find a website that says so) we earn points up until Dec 31 (for the next year's status) but our benefits don't end until Jan 31? Thanks.
Yes, that's correct.
rbakker likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.