Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 12, 22, 3:13 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 3, 22, 8:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
I've made a booking via UA which includes an AC segment and purchase a seat selection on that segment.
I noticed the price has gone down. The only way to lower the price is to either cancel the reservation or do a change and change it back. If I do this to the AC segment, will I lose the value of what I paid for the seat selection?
I assume I can change the other legs (that are not tied to the AC segment) with no issue
Since you paid AC, that seems like a question for AC Forum as to if the fee would be refunded or forfeit would have nothing to do with UA.

Would you like this moved to the AC forum?
Old Jul 3, 22, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Since you paid AC, that seems like a question for AC Forum as theid the fee would be refunded or forfeit would have nothing to do with UA.

Would you like this moved to the AC forum?
I disagree, it applies to both. I don't know which forum can answer better. UA is the one taking action. I talked to UA and they say they can "downgrade the fare" for a $50 fee. It isnt clear what this action exactly does to the AC segment so it's difficult for someone in the AC forum to answer without knowing what UA is doing exactly.
Old Jul 3, 22, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I disagree, it applies to both. I don't know which forum can answer better. UA is the one taking action. I talked to UA and they say they can "downgrade the fare" for a $50 fee. It isnt clear what this action exactly does to the AC segment so it's difficult for someone in the AC forum to answer without knowing what UA is doing exactly.
In the earlier post you only mentioned
...The only way to lower the price is to either cancel the reservation or do a change and change it back. ....
This common approach is clearly a flight cancellation and it is going to be seen by AC as a flight cancellation. How AC handles that is up to AC.

The $50 price adjust fee is only applicable if it has been within 30 days for original purchased and wasn't mentioned as an available option, this does present a different situation. Can not answer if this results in a ticket change, a re-issued ticket number of same ticket or not, that would be crucial to know as that likely influences AC's actions. SO that's the question I would ask UA.

Ultimately, once knowing which option you will take and how UA will handle, you then need to how AC will response to you chosen option.
SPN Lifer and Wooglin like this.
Old Jul 4, 22, 1:41 am

I booked a trip DEN-ORD-VIE-ZAG...SPU-DUB-IAD-ORD in business as a saver award. It was like... 70k+77k or something of that sort. This was for July 18. I was able to get it changed online to July 17th after checking daily.

I now see an option DEN-LAS-FRA-ZAG on July 16 (one day earlier) for 80.5k. I tried editing my outbound online and it shows no results all day, everyday. I called in to UA and they told me they don't even see the flight... which is idiotic. They even suggested that I was maybe using google... I was persistant and told them to bring up the UA website and they were finally able to see the flight but told me they didn't know why I am unable to change my flight to that day.

Is there something I can do?
Old Jul 4, 22, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by omghaxcode View Post
I booked a trip DEN-ORD-VIE-ZAG...SPU-DUB-IAD-ORD in business as a saver award. It was like... 70k+77k or something of that sort. This was for July 18. I was able to get it changed online to July 17th after checking daily.

I now see an option DEN-LAS-FRA-ZAG on July 16 (one day earlier) for 80.5k. I tried editing my outbound online and it shows no results all day, everyday. I called in to UA and they told me they don't even see the flight... which is idiotic. They even suggested that I was maybe using google... I was persistant and told them to bring up the UA website and they were finally able to see the flight but told me they didn't know why I am unable to change my flight to that day.

Is there something I can do?
Assuming that they were booked together, there will need to be award inventory on the partner legs of the return trip in order for you to make a change to the outbound. From the way that the system is behaving, I suspect that might not be the case.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 4, 22, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
In the earlier post you only mentioned
This common approach is clearly a flight cancellation and it is going to be seen by AC as a flight cancellation. How AC handles that is up to AC.

The $50 price adjust fee is only applicable if it has been within 30 days for original purchased and wasn't mentioned as an available option, this does present a different situation. Can not answer if this results in a ticket change, a re-issued ticket number of same ticket or not, that would be crucial to know as that likely influences AC's actions. SO that's the question I would ask UA.

Ultimately, once knowing which option you will take and how UA will handle, you then need to how AC will response to you chosen option.
I later spoke to UA after the post. They said I will keep the same reservation but it will result in a "ticket exchange". So the ticket number would likely change.

Anyways, go ahead and move the post to wherever you think it should go.
Old Jul 4, 22, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Assuming that they were booked together, there will need to be award inventory on the partner legs of the return trip in order for you to make a change to the outbound. From the way that the system is behaving, I suspect that might not be the case.
Ahh I see. So the entire ticket is rebooked, even if I'm just changing the outbound leg? Got it. That sucks but at least I can understand what's going on.
Old Jul 5, 22, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by omghaxcode View Post
Ahh I see. So the entire ticket is rebooked, even if I'm just changing the outbound leg? Got it. That sucks but at least I can understand what's going on.
Yes. Unless otherwise benefiting from it, booking two one-ways instead of a round-trip can avoid this in the future.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 5, 22, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
End of the month can be difficult as some pilots have reach their max hours per month and that reduces the available pool. Once the month rolls over, if a pilot problem, that should be less of a problem.
Spot on! No cancellations since the start of the month.
Old Jul 7, 22, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
If I book Basic Economy tickets, then apply for the United Explorer (or Business) credit card later a couple of months before my flight, will I be entitled to getting a full sized carry-on onboard for free?
Old Jul 7, 22, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.024MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Select; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by happychic View Post
If I book Basic Economy tickets, then apply for the United Explorer (or Business) credit card later a couple of months before my flight, will I be entitled to getting a full sized carry-on onboard for free?
I believe you have to pay for your ticket with the Explorer card to get that benefit.
happychic likes this.
Old Jul 7, 22, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Originally Posted by happychic View Post
I believe you have to pay for your ticket with the Explorer card to get that benefit..
Payment by the Chase MR branded card is not required for BE carry-on, just being a cardholder is sufficient
For all other Basic Economy tickets, you're not allowed a full-sized carry-on bag unless you're a MileagePlus Premier member or companion traveling on the same reservation, the primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or a Star Alliance™ Gold member.
Payment by the appropriate Chase MP branded card is required for checked bag waiver( 1or 2 based on card)
happychic likes this.
Old Jul 7, 22, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Payment by the Chase MR branded card is not required for BE carry-on, just being a cardholder is sufficient

Most excellent. *tent fingers*
Thank you!
Old Jul 8, 22, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Regarding Showers at the Polaris Lounges - do you need to bring your own soap, shampoo, towels, etc? Well Shampoo can't be brought past security.
Old Jul 8, 22, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by phkc070408 View Post
Regarding Showers at the Polaris Lounges - do you need to bring your own soap, shampoo, towels, etc? Well Shampoo can't be brought past security.
nope, but I recommend bringing shower shoes

phkc070408 likes this.

Search this Thread