Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 12, 22, 3:13 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 29, 22, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks. Do the cancellation reasons get listed anywhere? I've tried searching on the various flight tracker websites.
Old Jun 29, 22, 10:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rbakker View Post
Thanks. Do the cancellation reasons get listed anywhere? I've tried searching on the various flight tracker websites.
Recent cancellation reasons are noted in UA flight status and many tracking sites. But only past 2-3 days.
Note the posted reason will be the "last reason" and if there were multiple reasons, say a MX or crew delay, then WX, only the WX one will be readily available.
Old Jun 29, 22, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Recent cancellation reasons are noted in UA flight status and many tracking sites. But only past 2-3 days.
Note the posted reason will be the "last reason" and if there were multiple reasons, say a MX or crew delay, then WX, only the WX one will be readily available.
On United.com it says "crew-related scheduling disruption". Three days in a row.Your flight is canceled because of a crew-related scheduling disruption. We're sorry for the inconvenience.Your flight is canceled because of a crew-related scheduling disruption. We're sorry for the inconvenience.
Old Jun 29, 22, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rbakker View Post
On United.com it says "crew-related scheduling disruption". Three days in a row. Your flight is canceled because of a crew-related scheduling disruption. We're sorry for the inconvenience.Your flight is canceled because of a crew-related scheduling disruption. We're sorry for the inconvenience.
End of the month can be difficult as some pilots have reach their max hours per month and that reduces the available pool. Once the month rolls over, if a pilot problem, that should be less of a problem.
SPN Lifer and rbakker like this.
Old Jun 30, 22, 8:50 pm

Bag fee for TPAC in Polaris

I have an upcoming flight that is an award ticket booked through NH. Starting D1 from SEA-SFO on UA (X), D3 SFO-NRT on UA (I), D4 NRT-SIN on NH (X), and D5 SIN-TPE (I) on SQ. I called United to about checking bags, and the agent confirmed that because my layovers are all < 12hrs, I can check my bags from SFO to TPE. However, she said that she noticed that I have no baggage allowance for SFO-NRT and needs to pay $300 per bag. Although I can check two bags free for SEA-SFO. My e-ticket from NH does show 2pcs for all segments.

The agent said that it might be that the baggage calculator is not showing the correct charge, because my travel is broken up as SEA-SFO and SFO-TPE. She said that it'd be up to the counter at SFO to decide what to do. And if that SFO decided to charge me, I can only go to NH for reimbursement.

Is this normal? And is there a way to verify the charge before arriving SFO?
Old Jun 30, 22, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb View Post
...Starting D1 from SEA-SFO on UA (X), D3 SFO-NRT on UA (I), ...
How is the SFO stop under 12 hours?? Looks like >24 hours. unless there is a typo

If all connections are under 12 hours AND no overnight, you should be able to check-thru -- But an overnight with break the check-thru. and there would be a new bag fee.

SFO-NRT on UA in business, no bag fee... makes no sense

SFO-NRT-SIN-TPE -- a bit way of the way routing

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 30, 22 at 9:11 pm Reason: a bit way of the way routing
Old Jun 30, 22, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have an upcoming flight that is an award ticket booked through NH. Starting D1 from SEA-SFO on UA (X), D3 SFO-NRT on UA (I), D4 NRT-SIN on NH (X), and D5 SIN-TPE (I) on SQ. I called United to about checking bags, and the agent confirmed that because my layovers are all < 12hrs, I can check my bags from SFO to TPE. However, she said that she noticed that I have no baggage allowance for SFO-NRT and needs to pay $300 per bag. Although I can check two bags free for SEA-SFO. My e-ticket from NH does show 2pcs for all segments.

The agent said that it might be that the baggage calculator is not showing the correct charge, because my travel is broken up as SEA-SFO and SFO-TPE. She said that it'd be up to the counter at SFO to decide what to do. And if that SFO decided to charge me, I can only go to NH for reimbursement.

Is this normal? And is there a way to verify the charge before arriving SFO?
UA's computers are going to check your bag to the next place that the baggage system -- not the faring system -- consider a stopover. That's going to be anything overnight or longer than 12 hours. Since UA doesn't run any red-eye flights from SEA to SFO, I cannot imagine that the bags are really going to be checked through to TPE. I think you'll need to collect them at SFO, and I suspect that UA will charge you the domestic bag fee for that leg.

Is this the return of a round-trip ticket? Or is it a one-way or the outbound?

I'd be shocked if you were charged for bags at SFO.

PS: More information about the flight times would help a lot -- e.g., Wed., SEA 9:05 PM -> SFO 11:55 PM or whatever.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Jun 30, 22, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
UA's computers are going to check your bag to the next place that the baggage system -- not the faring system -- consider a stopover. That's going to be anything overnight or longer than 12 hours. Since UA doesn't run any red-eye flights from SEA to SFO, I cannot imagine that the bags are really going to be checked through to TPE. I think you'll need to collect them at SFO, and I suspect that UA will charge you the domestic bag fee for that leg.

Is this the return of a round-trip ticket? Or is it a one-way or the outbound?

I'd be shocked if you were charged for bags at SFO.

PS: More information about the flight times would help a lot -- e.g., Wed., SEA 9:05 PM -> SFO 11:55 PM or whatever.
It's a R/T - actually TPE-SFO with a month-long stopover at SEA, then SFO-TPE. Outbound is on BR from TPE-SEA. SEA-SFO at day 1 9am and SFO-NRT at day 3 12pm. My expectation is to collect my bags at SFO (given the 2 day layover) and check them through TPE (given that all layover are < 12 hrs and arrive/depart the same day).

UA baggage calculator shows two free 70lb bags for SEA-SFO (which seems to recognize the business award ticket), but $300 for every bag from SFO-TPE.

The UA agent said that it might be because the 2-day layover at SFO, so that the baggage calculator is glitched. But recommended me checking with NH. NH did confirm that BR business class rules would apply on all segments, but that UA ground staff at SFO would have the final say.
Old Jul 1, 22, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a R/T - actually TPE-SFO with a month-long stopover at SEA, then SFO-TPE. Outbound is on BR from TPE-SEA. SEA-SFO at day 1 9am and SFO-NRT at day 3 12pm. My expectation is to collect my bags at SFO (given the 2 day layover) and check them through TPE (given that all layover are < 12 hrs and arrive/depart the same day).

UA baggage calculator shows two free 70lb bags for SEA-SFO (which seems to recognize the business award ticket), but $300 for every bag from SFO-TPE.

The UA agent said that it might be because the 2-day layover at SFO, so that the baggage calculator is glitched. But recommended me checking with NH. NH did confirm that BR business class rules would apply on all segments, but that UA ground staff at SFO would have the final say.
OK. So, BR baggage rules definitely apply. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea which rules those are, because there's no guidance in the regulation for mixed class bookings. (This is what happens when rules are written by bureaucrats who never book their own travel).

The most likely place you'd be charged for bags would be Seattle, because UA might try to pull up BR's Economy baggage allowance. The $300 charge for bags at SFO feels like the sort of nonsense that sometimes plagues partner flights on UA's receipts -- as if it's grabbing the 'excess bag' charge but ignoring the free allotment. I've had quite a few similar receipts but never actually had to pay the exorbitant bag fee.

There's no way that you should be charged for luggage at SFO. Not only are you flying in UA J, so UA might just give you their own allowance, but BR's J rules very clearly apply by law to that situation.

Forget the baggage calculator; what's on the NH receipt? If the says zero for that segment, I'd just print a copy and keep it with me just in case. I'd be extremely surprised if you were actually charged anything, though.
SPN Lifer and ithinkurdumb like this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 1:12 am

OK. So, BR baggage rules definitely apply. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea which rules those are, because there's no guidance in the regulation for mixed class bookings. (This is what happens when rules are written by bureaucrats who never book their own travel).

The most likely place you'd be charged for bags would be Seattle, because UA might try to pull up BR's Economy baggage allowance. The $300 charge for bags at SFO feels like the sort of nonsense that sometimes plagues partner flights on UA's receipts -- as if it's grabbing the 'excess bag' charge but ignoring the free allotment. I've had quite a few similar receipts but never actually had to pay the exorbitant bag fee.

There's no way that you should be charged for luggage at SFO. Not only are you flying in UA J, so UA might just give you their own allowance, but BR's J rules very clearly apply by law to that situation.

Forget the baggage calculator; what's on the NH receipt? If the says zero for that segment, I'd just print a copy and keep it with me just in case. I'd be extremely surprised if you were actually charged anything, though.
The entire r/t is actually booked in I, just that two segments have no I class (yet &#129310. NH e-ticket only shows 2pcs (with no weight limit) but when I looked up my reservation on NH website, it does show that BR rules (2 pieces, up to 70lbs ea) apply to both TPE - SFO and SFO - TPE. I'll make sure to have that ready at SFO just in case.

I originally thought UA rules would apply for the SFO-TPE segments instead of BR's as UA is the first carrier of the return flights. The UA agent also said that she expected it to be the case but was very surprised when her system also shows $300 for each bag. Learned something new today.

Much appreciate the information - certainly a relief knowing this
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The entire r/t is actually booked in I, just that two segments have no I class (yet &#129310.
I'm not sure that's a nuance that the computers -- or DOT regulations -- would understand. . I hope you're right, because that should mean no bag fees at SEA either.

NH e-ticket only shows 2pcs (with no weight limit) but when I looked up my reservation on NH website, it does show that BR rules (2 pieces, up to 70lbs ea) apply to both TPE - SFO and SFO - TPE. I'll make sure to have that ready at SFO just in case.
Great!

I originally thought UA rules would apply for the SFO-TPE segments instead of BR's as UA is the first carrier of the return flights. The UA agent also said that she expected it to be the case but was very surprised when her system also shows $300 for each bag. Learned something new today.
The DOT specifically put a regulation in place that states that the bag rules that apply to an entire journey are those of the marketing carrier of the first segment. The intent was to prevent gotchas, where you'd find yourself in some foreign airport held hostage by a huge baggage fee that you hadn't faced on the way out.

Now, there's nothing stopping an airline from giving a higher allowance than the rules allowed -- for example, if you had UA status, UA would honor that when you checked in with them, even if the fare called for bag fees -- but they can't give a lower allowance.

(This can have amusing consequences; I checked in with my wife once; we were on separate PNRs, and because of the way I'd booked them, she had a weight limit but I had a piece limit. The airline staff took a bit of time to work through that. ;D)

Much appreciate the information - certainly a relief knowing this
Happy to help.
SPN Lifer and ithinkurdumb like this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 9:29 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
old account cancelled?

We haven't flown on United for a good few years but today I found my old Mileage Plus card in a drawer and just for kicks I thought I would check my account. Of course, I have no idea what the password is (or if I even ever set one). So I choose 'forgot password' and enter my name and account number. What I get next is an error message: 'The traveler information you entered does not match our records. Please revise the traveler's name and/or the frequent flyer program account number.' Well, I've got the card right in front of me and I'm copying the name and number correctly -- name is First Last, number is nnnnn nnn nnn. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it possible that accounts are deleted from the system after x years of inactivity? TIA
Old Jul 1, 22, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henry999 View Post
We haven't flown on United for a good few years but today I found my old Mileage Plus card in a drawer and just for kicks I thought I would check my account. Of course, I have no idea what the password is (or if I even ever set one). So I choose 'forgot password' and enter my name and account number. What I get next is an error message: 'The traveler information you entered does not match our records. Please revise the traveler's name and/or the frequent flyer program account number.' Well, I've got the card right in front of me and I'm copying the name and number correctly -- name is First Last, number is nnnnn nnn nnn. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it possible that accounts are deleted from the system after x years of inactivity? TIA
If your number is really nnnn… etc. — all digits — that’s from the pre-merger UA system. They converted all of those accounts to the new alphanumeric format as part of consolidating the CO and UA systems (in 2012, IIRC). Your account might still exist, but you’d need to contact UA to try to find the new details.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 9:41 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
If your number is really nnnn… etc. — all digits — that’s from the pre-merger UA system. They converted all of those accounts to the new alphanumeric format as part of consolidating the CO and UA systems (in 2012, IIRC). Your account might still exist, but you’d need to contact UA to try to find the new details.
Thanks.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 3, 22, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I've made a booking via UA which includes an AC segment and purchase a seat selection on that segment.
I noticed the price has gone down. The only way to lower the price is to either cancel the reservation or do a change and change it back. If I do this to the AC segment, will I lose the value of what I paid for the seat selection?
I assume I can change the other legs (that are not tied to the AC segment) with no issue

Search this Thread