Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:27 am

Anyone else having problems booking Virgin Australia Awards on UA. Have been trying for a week, with no luck. Shows availability:

MEL to ZQN January 2, non-stop Flight 143

We are unable to process your request
We are unable to process your requestPlease try again later or contact united.com support in the U.S. and Canada at 1-800-396-1751; the U.K. at 0800 028 5003; elsewhere use the local phone number.

Have called UA several times. They see the space on the website but can't book it either. It still shows available.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Is it possible to use miles to book a flight that has one segment in economy plus and one in business?

Im booking flights to sydney. Seems the choices are business class both ways with a connection or premium plus for 1 segment and regular economy on the other. I am looking to do premium plus and Business on the second leg ideally. Is this possible? If so does the price change?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njxbean
Is it possible to use miles to book a flight that has one segment in economy plus and one in business?

Im booking flights to sydney. Seems the choices are business class both ways with a connection or premium plus for 1 segment and regular economy on the other. I am looking to do premium plus and Business on the second leg ideally. Is this possible? If so does the price change?
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. Yes, on a connecting itinerary booked using MileagePlus miles, you can customize the cabin on each leg, but you have to use multi-city search to do it, and it will affect the price.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 5:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. Yes, on a connecting itinerary booked using MileagePlus miles, you can customize the cabin on each leg, but you have to use multi-city search to do it, and it will affect the price.
ok thanks that’s what i am asking. It only gave me the option for prem plus and economy. So it sounds like i need to go multi city to do it.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Note: you will probably not like the price if you do it this way.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Partner Availability on United.com

I am searching for TATL flights on United.com and initial results are show very limited, if none at all, availability of partner flights.

For example, SFO-FRA on 6/30/22 shows UA926 (with availability in Y) but does not show LH455. Lufthansa is selling this flight on Lufthansa.com.

Are the flight loads just so high that the codeshares aren't available? In general it feels like United is only showing me United operated flights and I'm not sure if this is because there literally isn't availability on partner flights, or something else?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Paid or award? (if codeshare, so likely paid)

TATL for next week is likely to be nearly sold out

UA is limited to the codeshare inventory, not the entire flight inventory.

Try Google Flights
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SFOrunner
I am searching for TATL flights on United.com and initial results are show very limited, if none at all, availability of partner flights.

For example, SFO-FRA on 6/30/22 shows UA926 (with availability in Y) but does not show LH455. Lufthansa is selling this flight on Lufthansa.com.

Are the flight loads just so high that the codeshares aren't available? In general it feels like United is only showing me United operated flights and I'm not sure if this is because there literally isn't availability on partner flights, or something else?
Codeshare inventory is separate from native inventory. If UA's not selling the codeshare, you can assume they've sold their allotted inventory.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by SFOrunner

Yes.

30-Jun LH455 is J0 G0 Y3.

UA8828 is sold out in all cabins.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:22 am

So United is offering a goof on a flight credit (in my favor)

I went to cancel a 34,600 mile flight and have the option to take a refund of the 34,600 miles, or $34,600 in flight credit. What are the chances I'll actually get that flight credit total if I hit accept?

Last edited by chasebrad; Jun 28, 2022 at 7:30 am Reason: Typo in the headline
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:34 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by chasebrad
I went to cancel a 34,600 mile flight and have the option to take a refund of the 34,600 miles, or $34,600 in flight credit. What are the chances I'll actually get that flight credit total if I hit accept?
34,600 to 1 you will not,
EmailKid likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I have two flights tomorrow, MCI-IAH-SJO. The MCI-IAH flight is at 9AM, so the itinerary is open for checkin.

There are three of us on the itin. Me, Silver, plus two non-elites.

For MCI-IAH, I had no trouble moving myself and one companion to E+, leaving the 2nd companion as-is in the row behind E+.

But for IAH-SJO, I can *only* select myself plus one specific companion - not the other one. Whether I try to move myself first or second, it's like one of my two companions is banned from E+ for some reason. But the other one would be totally fine.

Also, if I move myself out of E-, my seat is immediately blocked so I cannot move my "unlucky" companion to that E- seat.

E- is completely full and E+ is almost completely empty. I have a hunch that an airport agent will be able to move two of us to E+ and leave us with one E- aisle seat. (Or maybe even move the third person to an E+ middle.) But the app won't let me do it. I'm not terribly worried about it, but I'm wondering if others have run into weird behaviors when their reservation has more than two people on it.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 6:19 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Silver only get E+ free at checkin for you and 1 companion. It does matter what order you have your travel companions from what I see (selected when you enter the passengers on the PNR before you select seats). I’m in the same boat except I can select E+ at booking (Gold), but it matters what order you picked your travel companions. When I try to select an E+ seat for my daughter (3rd companion) I’m asked to pay, but my wife (2nd) and I get it for free.
Not sure but I think they’ll be able to fix this at the airport, giving E+ to #3 and putting #2 in E-.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: UA Gold
A few weeks from now I'll be taking UA480 (BWI - IAH) but I notice that it's been cancelled for each of the last three days. Is this normal? Should I be worried? Thanks.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rbakker
A few weeks from now I'll be taking UA480 (BWI - IAH) but I notice that it's been cancelled for each of the last three days. Is this normal? Should I be worried? Thanks.
Depends on the cancellation reasons.

There are a lot of issues with flights due to weather, due to ATC staffing and crews (pilots mostly), EWR has reduced EWR operations principally due to ATC issues. DL and AA are doing similar proactive cancellations in their system.

This, on the surface, does not yet sound like a system constrained flight but cancellations are an issue across the induatry. Probably would get worried if this continues thru next week. Any change by you at this point would be considered voluntary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.