Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
... Can we do online checking? ...
maybe, you will have you provide satisfactory entry documents including any required pre-travel COVID tests
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-q-issues.html
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
I’ll be able to check 2 bags no charge. Will others? ...
Only those on your PNR. On the return, Silver likely will not offer the UA elite bag allowance.
jsloan and jerseygirl like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:49 am

Any risks in this?
LHR - BNE. Son books ticket for wife and infant with his miles. Father (not traveling) books ticket for son with his miles. Son buys ticket for young child.
Obviously on different manifests, but will that - or anything else - be a potential problem/trap?
If not a serious problem, how best to try to get seats together?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Hi - a very basic question about earning FF mileage on UA: how does the airline calculate miles under the new system?

Last week I was on an AA routing via DFW to Mexico City. However, AA cancelled my DFW-MEX flight and wanted to put me on another flight leaving 30+ hours after my original one was supposed to go. I balked at that and got them to put me on a UA routing to IAH and from there to MEX. All good on that front.

The mileage for those UA segments has now posted to my account, and I'm stunned by how little the mileage totals are. Is this calculated off of the fare paid, and if so, is it just that the cost paid by AA to offload me onto them is so low that I'm getting peanuts? For what it's worth, my AA ticket was regular economy, and the AAdvantage miles I got for the AA return segment were around twice what UA is showing me.

Just curious whether UA is really stingy under the new system, or if this is a function of being transferred around by another airline. Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
... Just curious whether UA is really stingy under the new system, or if this is a function of being transferred around by another airline. Thanks!
UA and AA RDMs have a status multiple. So a Gold on AA will get more than a general member of UA MP. Also depends on how the fare was split between the outbound and return.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA and AA RDMs have a status multiple. So a Gold on AA will get more than a general member of UA MP. Also depends on how the fare was split between the outbound and return.
I'm a peon on both. For the MEX-DFW pair, I got 325 miles on UA but about twice that on AA.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:07 pm

I'm a peon on both. For the MEX-DFW pair, I got 325 miles on UA but about twice that on AA.
Your profile list AA Gold.
So the fare split between direction is the likely reason (original fare class differences or manipulation on the rebooking by AA)

Base on your original fare, what was the total mileage for the trip did you expect?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:20 pm

Your profile list AA Gold.
So the fare split between direction is the likely reason (original fare class differences or manipulation on the rebooking by AA)

Base on your original fare, what was the total mileage for the trip did you expect?
Ah - yeah, I lost status and completely forgot about my profile. From the internet it seems I should get 5x the base (pretax) fare dollars in miles, but that seems really low - $65 for IAH-MEX?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:32 pm

Ah - yeah, I lost status and completely forgot about my profile. From the internet it seems I should get 5x the base (pretax) fare dollars in miles, but that seems really low - $65 for IAH-MEX?
Did fly the DFW-IAH on AA and earn RDMs , then it is about how AA did the split.

What was the total RDMs (AA+UA) and how it it related to the base fare of the original trip, suspect it is similar to what AA would have provide -- so it is all about how the fare got split and yes UA could have gotten that little
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:36 pm

Did fly the DFW-IAH on AA and earn RDMs , then it is about how AA did the split.

What was the total RDMs (AA+UA) and how it it related to the base fare of the original trip, suspect it is similar to what AA would have provide -- so it is all about how the fare got split and yes UA could have gotten that little
I flew DFW-IAH on UA as well and got 100 miles for that - suggesting a $20 base fare. I mean, maybe?

Anyway, it doesn't matter in any great scheme of things - I'm mostly just asking for my own edification. It's been years since I've flown UA ...
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:45 pm

I flew DFW-IAH on UA as well and got 100 miles for that - suggesting a $20 base fare. I mean, maybe?

Anyway, it doesn't matter in any great scheme of things - I'm mostly just asking for my own edification. It's been years since I've flown UA ...
With UA getting $20+$65, did AA get the rest of the base fare for the original trip. If so, that is your answer.

UA rules are the same as AA on RDMs
Old Jun 15, 2022, 7:42 pm

Programs: UAMP
Polaris "Dress Code"

FT, taking my first Polaris flight tonight (UA 930)- I know they provide pajamas but would most of you find it appropriate to change into a tank top with my own pajama bottoms for the night portion?

I know tank tops are a hit or miss a lot of the time...

Opinions?
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by sgtbalski
FT, taking my first Polaris flight tonight (UA 930)- I know they provide pajamas but would most of you find it appropriate to change into a tank top with my own pajama bottoms for the night portion?

Opinions?
I saw someone posted a picture of a dude in tank top in Polaris lounge couple weeks ago
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Marriott

Opinions?
Personally I change into something I can sleep in before I board the plane. Something I can wear in public without shame, but less nice than I wear to work. I just don’t like changing on planes.

If visiting the lounge beforehand, I would wear something more dressy and change right before leaving.

Some sport workwear on the plane if they have to spring into action at the destination. You’ll see a range
WVmike and sgtbalski like this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: 12 year UAL GS, LT Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium, AA Plat Pro
Exactly what I do, have dinner at the Polaris club and then change into nice, casual exercise clothes that are comfortable. Sometimes I will take advantage of the shower options as well. Changing clothes on a plane is like changing in a phone booth.
sgtbalski likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Opinions?
This reply might be late for your case, but note that UA930 SFO-LHR doesn't typically provide PJs, so you'll have to sleep in something you bring or wear.
sgtbalski likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.