Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2022, 6:39 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Before I call the GS line, I want to run this by the experts as it is a new one for me. I had a flight booked for myself and three family members (Me GS, they are all Silvers). I had to cancel it and got over 5 grand of credit and it was originally listed with all of our names, and I have booked flights using that credit for all of us, but now the rest of the credit is only showing under my son's name and not allowing booking for the other travellers. I presume GS can fix that back to the original, but if not is there another better line to call like web help? Thanks for your time.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I would start with GS; they can transfer you if other departments are needed. I think reservations is probably the right place to start.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:28 am

Upgrade Question

Hello,

I am hoping that this is a quick answer. I am considering buying a ticket on Singapore Airlines from Houston in Premium Economy. If I upgrade to Business with Krisflyer miles, will I receive PQP based on the Business Class segment? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:24 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Starfighter202
...I am hoping that this is a quick answer. I am considering buying a ticket on Singapore Airlines from Houston in Premium Economy. If I upgrade to Business with Krisflyer miles, will I receive PQP based on the Business Class segment? ...
That will be up to SQ to decide whatever fare class to report to UA but generally earnings are based on the paid fare. So, the upgrade will likely not change the PQPs
Old Jun 11, 2022, 11:00 am

Flying CPH-LHR-SFO in Polaris on an award ticket Wednesday. Under the baggage allowance, United displays the two free bags on the second (LHR-SFO) leg. But the CPH-LHR leg is operated by SAS and is showing a bag fee of $337 per bag, with no free bag allowance. That has to be a mistake, right?
Old Jun 11, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LGB_WN
Flying CPH-LHR-SFO in Polaris on an award ticket Wednesday. Under the baggage allowance, United displays the two free bags on the second (LHR-SFO) leg. But the CPH-LHR leg is operated by SAS and is showing a bag fee of $337 per bag, with no free bag allowance. That has to be a mistake, right?
Probably, as UA many times gets the non-UA fees wrong.

SAS will determine the fees for the trip and it will be based on the fare rules. Generally business class award tickets have the same bag allowance as paid business class but what cabin is the SAS segment? SAS could use the fare rules for its portion to determine fees (but most airlines will offer the allowance of the highest cabin of the trip).

Additionally UA benefits for credit cards or status will not apply (SAS should recognize the star alliance *G benefit)

So I would suspect SAS will provide two free bags, but when checking in with non-UA carrier, it can be hard to predict.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
I am Premier Gold Million Miler. I have my Gold Card (Apple Wallet) for myself but how do I get my spouse´s card? Thank you.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Braniff
I am Premier Gold Million Miler. I have my Gold Card (Apple Wallet) for myself but how do I get my spouse´s card? Thank you.
Their phone using their UA App account

If you want something on your phone, take a screen shot and email it to you

You can use your app and log in with their credentials
Old Jun 11, 2022, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Their phone using their UA App account

If you want something on your phone, take a screen shot and email it to you

You can use your app and log in with their credentials

Thank you. I should have bern clearer. My issue is having a Gold Card for her issued as part of my Million Miler benefits. How do I go about doing that ?
Old Jun 11, 2022, 5:34 pm

Thank you. I should have bern clearer. My issue is having a Gold Card for her issued as part of my Million Miler benefits. How do I go about doing that ?
There are no physical cards, only virtual cards on a phone app.

Also the companion status is embedded in the BP or reservation for things like lounge access, so there is no need for a physical card
Old Jun 11, 2022, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There are no physical cards, only virtual cards on a phone app.

Also the companion status is embedded in the BP or reservation for things like lounge access, so there is no need for a physical card
I was looking to have it in her Apple Wallet for lounge access purposes, especially on Star Alliance partners. I am aware there are no physical cards issued.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 6:58 pm

I was looking to have it in her Apple Wallet for lounge access purposes, especially on Star Alliance partners.....
If the UA account / status is on the ticket, it should be on the BP and that should be sufficient. Partners have not needed the "card", virtual or physical for years.

As far as getting it on their phone, just install the UA app and transfer to the wallet like you did.

Am I missing something?
Old Jun 11, 2022, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA
Have you declared your spouse as your companion for million miler companion status?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by angetenar
Have you declared your spouse as your companion for million miler companion status?
It's a manual process - it doesn't happen automatically.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:18 pm

I’m a gold million miler but haven’t flown since March 2020! Well going on a family trip with 12 of us all tickets bought on my united business card. I’m on a separate ticket. Going to the BVI, Ewr to San Juan then silver airways to Tortola. BVI still requires Covid tests on arrival
questions. Silver allows checking baggage through
Can we do online checking?
I’ll be able to check 2 bags no charge. Will others?

thanks for any help, I’ve searched but can’t find
After many years frequent flying surprised how out of touch I am!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.