Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2022, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lsquare
Why?
Many countries prohibit or severely limit importing soft cheeses.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old May 13, 2022, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by lsquare
Why?
I'm not an expert on the mechanisms, but soft cheeses in general are much more likely to carry pathogens. Something about the production process.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old May 13, 2022, 11:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Discussion of moving cheese across borders might be best in elsewhere -- TravelBuzz or Travel Safety/Security

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old May 13, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Discussion of moving cheese across borders might be best in elsewhere -- TravelBuzz or Travel Safety/Security

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
WineCounrtryUA is inviting someone to now pose the question “Who moved my cheese?”
Old May 14, 2022, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
WineCounrtryUA is inviting someone to now pose the question “Who moved my cheese?”
I thought it was "Who moved my runny cheese?"

David

p.s. And why not over in DiningBuzz? They're even discussing "sour coffee"...
Old May 14, 2022, 11:44 am

Question Mixing PlusPoints and Miles

Hey everyone! Premier platinum newbie here. I found a nice cheap flight MEX-SFO-NRT Rt in November that I want to upgrade to Polaris. It has both PP and MP availability. I do have my 40 points available to use on one way. My question is: can I upgrade the other way on Miles? do I do that after buying the ticket? is it more convenient to buy the ticket with confirmed upgrade with miles or plus points and then get the other leg afterward? Many thanks!!!
Old May 14, 2022, 11:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nach
Hey everyone! Premier platinum newbie here. I found a nice cheap flight MEX-SFO-NRT Rt in November that I want to upgrade to Polaris. It has both PP and MP availability. I do have my 40 points available to use on one way. My question is: can I upgrade the other way on Miles? do I do that after buying the ticket? is it more convenient to buy the ticket with confirmed upgrade with miles or plus points and then get the other leg afterward? Many thanks!!!
Yes, you can do PlusPoints one way and miles+copay the other way. Be aware the 40 PlusPoint upgrade requires the booking to be in W or higher inventory (perhaps increasing the cost of the ticket). Cheaper fares require 80 PlusPoints. And you can apply during purchase or afterwards.

This issue is finding upgrade space at booking, this may be difficult and you will likely be waitlisted.

You can use advance search to request upgrade and it will show you if any flights are upgradeable at booking, don't be sureized if there is none. Or you can call and see if an agent can see any upgrade space around the days you are interested in traveling.
Old May 14, 2022, 12:51 pm

mileage earning on SQ vs. Scoot?

I booked a ticket on SQ's website with 2 segments (MLE-SIN-BKK). First segment is on SQ, and 2nd segment is on Scoot (SQ8xxx flight number). Will I earn UA mileage on the 2nd segment?
Old May 14, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
I am trying to book a flexible business class fare AMS-SFO / LAX-AMS for next year in booking class P. Since I plan on a few connecting flights I used the multiple flights option and the app indeed shows exactly the flights I want and more importantly it also offers both the cheaper non-ref fare (PNC***) which I don’t want and the flexible fare (PFF***) in the process I am looking for. However, I can‘t book it on the app since I do not have a credit card issued by a bank located in US/CA/PR. When I try to book it on United.com I don‘t get the option for the flexible fare, even though I have selected that on the search screen and also specified booking class P. It always defaults to the non-ref fare and there is no other option when I am picking the flights. Is there a way to force the website to show the flex fare or do I need to call in and spoon-feed the agent?
Old May 15, 2022, 6:49 am

I've got an upgrade offer of $560 on Lufthansa AUS-FRA (United stock). Looking on the Lufthansa forum it seems like that will upgrade the fare from R to Z. Will I get PQP for that buy?
Old May 15, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum
Question regarding upgrade status algorithym

Hi, I am hoping one of the experts here can help me understand how United determines where a person fits on the upgrade list. I ask that because although I am a Million Miler with United and have given my status to my husband he is ALWAYS higher on the list when we fly together. It can't be alphabetical because my first initial comes before his. It's very peculiar and I don't want to assume it's because he's the husband..but I am left wondering...I contacted Mileage Plus, but they just brushed me off with a contact Reservations. Maybe it wasn't a brush off, but it felt like it. Appreciate any insight into the inner workings.
Old May 15, 2022, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
I am trying to book a flexible business class fare AMS-SFO / LAX-AMS for next year in booking class P. Since I plan on a few connecting flights I used the multiple flights option and the app indeed shows exactly the flights I want and more importantly it also offers both the cheaper non-ref fare (PNC***) which I don’t want and the flexible fare (PFF***) in the process I am looking for. However, I can‘t book it on the app since I do not have a credit card issued by a bank located in US/CA/PR. When I try to book it on United.com I don‘t get the option for the flexible fare, even though I have selected that on the search screen and also specified booking class P. It always defaults to the non-ref fare and there is no other option when I am picking the flights. Is there a way to force the website to show the flex fare or do I need to call in and spoon-feed the agent?
Did you use Advanced Search? You can specify refundable fares, and even just searching for Business/First fares includes a refundable column for me.

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
I've got an upgrade offer of $560 on Lufthansa AUS-FRA (United stock). Looking on the Lufthansa forum it seems like that will upgrade the fare from R to Z. Will I get PQP for that buy?
If you are buying an upgrade from LH that is a "sticker" type upgrade and not a ticket change to Z, it will not earn PQP. I'm not terribly clear how LH offers upgrades, but if it's not the price to change the ticket then it won't earn.

ed. assuming it somehow doesn't convert to a 220 ticket but that seems unlikely?

Originally Posted by lianluo
Hi, I am hoping one of the experts here can help me understand how United determines where a person fits on the upgrade list. I ask that because although I am a Million Miler with United and have given my status to my husband he is ALWAYS higher on the list when we fly together. It can't be alphabetical because my first initial comes before his. It's very peculiar and I don't want to assume it's because he's the husband..but I am left wondering...I contacted Mileage Plus, but they just brushed me off with a contact Reservations. Maybe it wasn't a brush off, but it felt like it. Appreciate any insight into the inner workings.
By "higher" do you just mean one place higher? There are a number of tiny tiebreakers like holding Chase cards or being a United corporate client. Finally, there is no deterministic order between two pax on the same PNR who otherwise have the same status.
OssianBlue likes this.

Last edited by findark; May 15, 2022 at 8:51 am
Old May 15, 2022, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
If you buy up or bid upgrade on the site it should reticket into a new fare class (assuming it works like Swiss). Mine reticketed into P. If you buy up at the gate it won't reticket.
OssianBlue likes this.
Old May 15, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Expert mode

Hello. I seem to have lost my previously installed expert.mode. Has UA discontinued this feature?
is there anywhere on the UA WEBSITE which would provide availability in individual booking classes?

Thank you.

Last edited by cagcag; May 15, 2022 at 9:56 am
Old May 15, 2022, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cagcag
Hello. I seem to have lost my previously installed expert.mode. Has UA discontinued this feature?
is there anywhere on the UA WEBSITE which would provide availability in individual booking classes?
I's still there, but only for revenue searches (not award searches).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.