Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2022, 9:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jacksprat
Hi all - newbie to United but have secured Gold through a status match which I should easily be able to keep. My questions are as follows:

How do upgrades work for Transatlantic flights? Obviously I've got the options for Cash and Miles+Cash in my booking. What does the "Waitlist" do for me as a Gold member? Do complementary upgrades tend to happen at the airport if I ask?

Thanks!
As mentioned no CPU on TATL and the chance for a Gold waitlisted request is poor. There can be space on booking for a few locations but once waitlisted, higher elites are more likely to clear.

Originally Posted by pkerr
Regarding access to UA's lounge. Do I need to be flying UA in order to use the lounge? I have their lounge access c.c.
Thanks
For accessing UCs you need to be flying UA or *A partner that day, And without status / membership, it needs to be the departing flight
Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)
Old May 9, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As mentioned no CPU on TATL and the chance for a Gold waitlisted request is poor. There can be space on booking for a few locations but once waitlisted, higher elites are more likely to clear.

For accessing UCs you need to be flying UA or *A partner that day, And without status / membership, it needs to be the departing flight
Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)
Darn... Oh well. Thanks for the info.
Old May 9, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pkerr
Regarding access to UA's lounge. Do I need to be flying UA in order to use the lounge? I have their lounge access c.c.
Thanks
You'll need to have a boarding pass for United OR another Star Alliance carrier departing that day.
Old May 12, 2022, 4:47 pm

Odd question

Hey, first time poster and not a very frequent flyer.
Wondering if FA/pilots are allowed to take food gifts from passengers?
I’m a farmer from WI and plan on bringing fresh cheese curds on my international flights across the world for myself to snack on, wondering if WI cheese curds are something the flight crews I encounter would enjoy receiving or if they are even allowed to accept something like that?
I’d be getting them straight from my milk factory so they’d be labeled but in a bag with a twist tie. Thanks for any response!
Old May 12, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, Missylob
Originally Posted by Missylob
Wondering if FA/pilots are allowed to take food gifts from passengers?
I’m a farmer from WI and plan on bringing fresh cheese curds on my international flights across the world for myself to snack on, wondering if WI cheese curds are something the flight crews I encounter would enjoy receiving or if they are even allowed to accept something like that?
I’d be getting them straight from my milk factory so they’d be labeled but in a bag with a twist tie. Thanks for any response!
Kind of you to think of the crew.

You may find the crews a bit reluctant to take non-sealed non-branded goods. Unfortunately in this day and age, one does need to be careful accepting items from stranger
Missylob likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 5:49 pm

TSA should be ok with it, but take them out of your carry on bags, and put them in a separate bins (Incase if TSA decides to examine them).

Old May 12, 2022, 6:03 pm

If I redeem my UA miles for a SQ ticket, can I cancel the award booking at any time prior to departure date for a refund of miles & taxes? Is there still a mileage redeposit fee? (I'm UA Gold. Couldn't find the fees chart on united.com)
Old May 12, 2022, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
If I redeem my UA miles for a SQ ticket, can I cancel the award booking at any time prior to departure date for a refund of miles & taxes? Is there still a mileage redeposit fee? (I'm UA Gold. Couldn't find the fees chart on united.com)
Award ticketing options/service fees
If you cancel more than 30 days in advance of travel there are no fees to redeposit

If inside the 30 days prior to travel, you can change to ticket to a date 31 days out abd then cancel. If not originating from USA there may be a fee to make the change. Fees are reduced for UA Gold.
Old May 12, 2022, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, Missylob

Kind of you to think of the crew.

You may find the crews a bit reluctant to take non-sealed non-branded goods. Unfortunately in this day and age, one does need to be careful accepting items from stranger
Thats what I figured, sad we live in the sorta age where you have to worry about people killing you with cheese or food lol.

Never be able to fly in anything but UAs 31” economy but I think it may be us back in the cramped seats that appreciate the crew the most, they got a really hard job keeping 200+ uncomfortable people happy for 15-17 hrs lol. And I’m in awe of pilots after going down the aviation video rabbit hole.
Telling them thank you don’t seem like enough to me but not sure what I could do to show how much I appreciate the flight crew?
Old May 12, 2022, 6:58 pm

Telling them thank you don’t seem like enough to me but not sure what I could do to show how much I appreciate the flight crew?
They LOVE Starbucks/Dunkin Gift cards!
Missylob likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by UAFAM
They LOVE Starbucks/Dunkin Gift cards!
Thats a great idea!! Thank you!!! I wasn’t sure if those sorta things were allowed or not. Thanks again😁
Old May 12, 2022, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Cheeses are usually fine, but make sure you read the customs protocols for your destination(s) if you plan on carrying food like that.
Old May 12, 2022, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by findark
Cheeses are usually fine
Specifically hard cheeses. Soft cheeses can be problematic.
Old May 13, 2022, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Why?
Old May 13, 2022, 5:24 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
For TSA this is a good site: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...tcanibring/all

Back a couple of years our jar of peanut butter was "arrested" at the TSA checkpoint, but it sounds like TSA is getting better at "common sense" food items being safe. Better scanning equipment perpaps?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.