Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2022, 7:56 pm

is there a tool/website that lets you know which flights/destinations have layflat seats? i'm only aware of LAX/SFO to EWR but curious about international as well. I recently booked LAX to CUN assuming that all international flights had lay flight capability but realized they are not layflat.

what constitutes a flight/destination as having layflat flights?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by tkw00t
is there a tool/website that lets you know which flights/destinations have layflat seats? i'm only aware of LAX/SFO to EWR but curious about international as well. I recently booked LAX to CUN assuming that all international flights had lay flight capability but realized they are not layflat.

LIe-flat seating is only on United's widebody aircraft (plus the 757-200) which are, for the most part, needed for intercontinental travel. So think of lie-flat seating being used for trans-Atlantic, trans-Pacific, and flights to S. America other than the northern parts of that continent. Everywhere else they show up is just gravy.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tkw00t

Lay flats are most common on Polaris market international and domestic premium transcon EWR<>SFO/LAX, JFK<> SFO , non-west coast Hawai'i and at times between UA hubs, some west coast Hawai'i and some EWR-Florida (MCO)

North American international and northern South America is not Polaris marketed and generally not lie flat service
Polaris service is to Europe, Asia/India, Africa, Australia/NZ, southern South America

UA has three types of lie flat -- IPTE (772 Hawaii config), Diamond (752s, and yet converted - a few 789s & 764s ), and Polaris for the bulk of the widebodies

probably missed a few routes
tkw00t likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 19, 2022 at 8:49 pm Reason: probably missed a few routes
Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I have an Android phone. In the UA Android app, accrual can be found at the bottom of the reservation.
I'm also on Android. I don't see it under reservation details.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:57 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm also on Android. I don't see it under reservation details.
When viewing your reservation on the app, it would appear as a navigation button with the text "Accruals for this trip"

It should be immediately below the section labeled "Baggage Details" and immediately above the options to "Upgrade to Economy Plus"/"Upgrade Cabin"
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Wooglin
When viewing your reservation on the app, it would appear as a navigation button with the text "Accruals for this trip"

It should be immediately below the section labeled "Baggage Details" and immediately above the options to "Upgrade to Economy Plus"/"Upgrade Cabin"
You're right! Thank you!
Old Apr 20, 2022, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Gold
newbie moving over from AA : What's united fleet look like? I'll be mostly flying out of IAD and mainly to LAX. With American, I was always on some kind of Airbus A32X for my domestic trips which I've quite fond of (especially the A321t JFK/LAX and A321s that flies out of DCA).
So far with UA I've been on a bunch of 737's old and new; which I'm guessing it's UA's workhorse, akin to American's Airbuses. However my IAD-LAX trips seems to be all over the place, 737,757,787, and even a A320 mixed in. Are they still shuffling planes around post-covid?
Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Eneka
newbie moving over from AA : What's united fleet look like? I'll be mostly flying out of IAD and mainly to LAX. With American, I was always on some kind of Airbus A32X for my domestic trips which I've quite fond of (especially the A321t JFK/LAX and A321s that flies out of DCA).
So far with UA I've been on a bunch of 737's old and new; which I'm guessing it's UA's workhorse, akin to American's Airbuses. However my IAD-LAX trips seems to be all over the place, 737,757,787, and even a A320 mixed in. Are they still shuffling planes around post-covid?
Not sure I would call it COVID shuffling because this was true pre-COVID.

domestically UA has
79 A319
97 A320
40 737
142 738
16 738 MAX
148 739
30 739 MAX
40 752 (lie flat)
21 753

So the bulk of the domestic fleet are various 737s
Some widebodies (all lie flat) are used on SFO/LAX<> EWR/JFK, a few on SFO/LAX-IAD and other hub to hub routes, Hawai'i flights and occansional EWR-MCO
but the bulk of the widebodies are used for long hual international
Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA: 1K. Hilton: Diamond. Marriot: Gold. AA: Gold
Changing Roundtrip to One-Way

Not sure I am posting this in the right threat and though I looked I am guessing this question has been asked before. I booked a June EWR-SFO roundtrip ticket priced at ~$860. But now I am going to be continuing on to Asia from SFO. I called United to change this to a one-way ticket, but it is pricing out at ~$820. What if I just take the outbound portion of the trip, and then go to cancel the return? Will I be given future flight credit for the return portion? Can I estimate the future flight credit to approximate somewhere around the assigned PQPs in my receipt? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by stayinalive
Not sure I am posting this in the right threat and though I looked I am guessing this question has been asked before. I booked a June EWR-SFO roundtrip ticket priced at ~$860. But now I am going to be continuing on to Asia from SFO. I called United to change this to a one-way ticket, but it is pricing out at ~$820. What if I just take the outbound portion of the trip, and then go to cancel the return? Will I be given future flight credit for the return portion? Can I estimate the future flight credit to approximate somewhere around the assigned PQPs in my receipt? Thanks in advance.
On a voluntary change / cancellation, UA would reprice the outbound just as asked now. On an involuntary change / cancellation things would be better,

You could keep the ticket open and use the return in the future. But it will be limited to a flight compatible with the original fare rules -- this is a difficult situation to assign a value.
jsloan and stayinalive like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
No, it will retroactively reprice to a one-way. However, this may be more favorable than your current situation since it will "lock in" your outbound inventory.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 5:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I booked a June EWR-SFO roundtrip ticket priced at ~$860. But now I am going to be continuing on to Asia from SFO. I called United to change this to a one-way ticket, but it is pricing out at ~$820.
Look at all alternatives, including fare for a one way on a different flight from EWR-SFO. Your best option may be to cancel the entire itinerary, use the $820 towards a one-way on a flight that has cheaper inventory for sale, and get the remainder back as a travel credit. Otherwise most of the ticket value will be eaten up by converting the current outbound (which apparently only has expensive inventory for sale) to a one-way.
jsloan and stayinalive like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA: 1K. Hilton: Diamond. Marriot: Gold. AA: Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Look at all alternatives, including fare for a one way on a different flight from EWR-SFO. Your best option may be to cancel the entire itinerary, use the $820 towards a one-way on a flight that has cheaper inventory for sale, and get the remainder back as a travel credit. Otherwise most of the ticket value will be eaten up by converting the current outbound (which apparently only has expensive inventory for sale) to a one-way.
Got it. So really looks like its a bad idea to just fly out and then hope I can change/get refunded on the return. I would likely need an issue with the return flight (weather, mechanical, crew etc) to get any value.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Got it. So really looks like its a bad idea to just fly out and then hope I can change/get refunded on the return. I would likely need an issue with the return flight (weather, mechanical, crew etc) to get any value.
Yes, that's the worst option. You lose flexibility because the credit (which is likely to be small) is subject to existing fare rules.
SPN Lifer and stayinalive like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 3:54 pm

Hi all,

First time premier silver member here trying to check-in to my flight tomorrow via the app.

according to my status benefits, I should be able to get a free checked bag and also complimentary economy plus upgrade right?

Sadly my Covid test is tomorrow morning so I can’t upload proof of the test however when checking-in the app and selecting a seat, it doesn’t allow me to pick an economy plus for free despite there being over 15 available.

also, when it asks me to check a baggage early using the app, I select “1” and then it asks for $30 to continue.

any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.