Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Old Mar 26, 2022, 2:05 pm

I am traveling on a domestic United roundtrip booked with points. Am I entitled to a free regular size carry on bag or only a personal item? I can't figure out the rules and whether award travel is considered Basic Economy or "regular" economy.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 2:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FastMJ
...whether award travel is considered Basic Economy or "regular" economy.
UA has no Basic Economy awards, just regular Economy awards

As such you can have an appropriate sized carry on and a personal item.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA has no Basic Economy awards, just regular Economy awards

As such you can have an appropriate sized carry on and a personal item.
Great thank you
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:07 pm

United.com won't let me see seat selection since I don't have enough miles in my account, but I don't want to transfer more or cancel an exisitng ticket until I have the following info. I see that Premium Economy seats are available but I can't see which I can book and if there are fees. Would I be able to book an exit row in Premium Economy without status? Can you pay a fee to get the exit row like you can on Delta if you don't have status? Thanks

p.s. Hmmm, I was doing this as a mileage ticket but now I'm trying cash and it doesn't let you see what the cost for exit rows is either. Am I missing something? Seems bad.

Last edited by qofmiwok; Mar 27, 2022 at 9:31 pm
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by qofmiwok
United.com won't let me see seat selection since I don't have enough miles in my account, ..
??? it is easy to see the seatmap for any flight, just pull it up in flight search

I see that Premium Economy seats are available ...
are you reffering to Economy Plus or Premium Plus.
There are no exit rows in any Premium Plus (aka Premium Economy) for UA aircraft.
Economy Plus is not Premium Economy but does not extra leg space / pitch.

but I can't see which I can book and if there are fees. Would I be able to book an exit row in Premium Economy without status? Can you pay a fee to get the exit row like you can on Delta if you don't have status? Thanks
Any seat in economy can be accessed by any passenger -- the fees vary if you don't have status, again the fees can be seen during flight search.

All exit rows are consisted Economy Plus. (except on the smallest UX, CRJ200)
Another group of economy seats have standard pitch and are reserved for a fee until checkin. They have a small black triangle in the lower left of the seat on the seatmap.

... I'm trying cash and it doesn't let you see what the cost for exit rows is either. Am I missing something? Seems bad.
I can == logged out in a private window. So anybody should be able
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:32 pm

First, I guess it was Economy Plus. (I've been flying Delta lately so forgot how United works.) But without being logged in I could see the seats but it didn't show prices. So I just pretended to buy it cash instead of with miles and kept going until it asked me to pick a seat and then I could see how much it cost. I assume if I moved the points to my account and did the same it would eventually ask me to pick a seat and show me the price since you said they aren't reserved for elites. Thanks
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
I was booked EWR-SNA and had a waitlisted MUA, but as it became clear from the upgrade list I wasn't going to clear- a UC agent was able to change me to EWR-LAX.

The MUA obviously didn't get transferred to the new itinerary, so I submitted a refund request. United approved the refund of my $75 mileage upgrade fee after 48h, but I still haven't seen the mileage redeposited.

Do I need to wait a few more days, or send a separate follow-up?
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Wooglin
I was booked EWR-SNA and had a waitlisted MUA, but as it became clear from the upgrade list I wasn't going to clear- a UC agent was able to change me to EWR-LAX.

The MUA obviously didn't get transferred to the new itinerary, so I submitted a refund request. United approved the refund of my $75 mileage upgrade fee after 48h, but I still haven't seen the mileage redeposited.

Do I need to wait a few more days, or send a separate follow-up?
Usually the miles come first and fairly quickly. if it has been more than a week, make another request either to Refunds or MileagePlus Service Center
Old Apr 1, 2022, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Usually the miles come first and fairly quickly. if it has been more than a week, make another request either to Refunds or MileagePlus Service Center

Thanks! I ended up giving it 3 more days, and ultimately got in touch with the MP Service Center.
Apparently "something" happened that the redeposit just didn't happen automatically like it should have. They were able to get them redeposited correctly (and the redeposit showed up immediately, but backdated to the original flight date)
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:08 pm
daq

Hi, I'm trying to figure out the difference between flying United Business/First to SFO from either JFK or EWR. Looks like the JFK-SFO flight is a 757-200 with 4 rows of 2-2 seats while the EWR-SFO flight is a 777-200 with 2-4-2 seats. Possible things to consider is that I'm flying alone and JFK is slightly more convenient, but I'm certainly willing to go to EWR if its a better product.

Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA
EWR-SFO will probably be the better option, with higher frequencies and better planes. As you noted, JFK-SFO is a 757-200, while EWR-SFO sees a mixture of 757s, 777s, and 787s, and a considerable number of the widebodies on this route have Polaris seats in business.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:54 pm
daq

Originally Posted by angetenar
EWR-SFO will probably be the better option, with higher frequencies and better planes. As you noted, JFK-SFO is a 757-200, while EWR-SFO sees a mixture of 757s, 777s, and 787s, and a considerable number of the widebodies on this route have Polaris seats in business.
Is there a way to tell if the 777 currently scheduled will have Polaris seats?
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by daq
Is there a way to tell if the 777 currently scheduled will have Polaris seats?
All 777s have lie flats

if a 2-4-2, with the middle section just 3 rows,it is the older diamond lie-flat. Also that config, all the seats are pointing in the same direction.

The Polaris config, every other row is pointing no quite straight, slightly off center
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
All 777s have lie flats

if a 2-4-2, with the middle section just 3 rows,it is the older diamond lie-flat. Also that config, all the seats are pointing in the same direction.

The Polaris config, every other row is pointing no quite straight, slightly off center
Are there still rear facing 777 seats in the active fleet? I really enjoyed it on a ride years ago, and one of the few flights I can recall every detail. My SEA-EWR redeye on 752 got cancelled until the following morning...switched myself to SEA-LAX-EWR redeye. Barely made it just before door closure due to about an hour taxiing around LAX on arrival from SEA. Not even 5 seconds after I got to my window seat, some guy in one of the middles asked to switch seats...he didn't like my answer and sat back down.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Are there still rear facing 777 seats in the active fleet? ...
Not polarized but the 2-4-2 777HD still has the reversed seats (and that are starting to show-up in future schedules). Awaiting the first live sighting report

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 3, 2022 at 7:55 pm Reason: HKG

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.