FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2068662-have-simple-question-about-united-airlines-mileageplus-ask-here-2022-a.html)

fumje Mar 22, 2022 7:45 am

Originally Posted by cliffw (Post 34096463)
I recently booked a three person award international ticket for Dec under one reservation record. Since one person may not be able to go and we may need to cancel one seat before the trip in Nov, I called United to see if they can split the award reservation into two reservations. The ticket agent said that one person can always be dropped and miles returned. Just want to double check. I would hate to be stuck in Nov that I will have to cancel three seat reservation all together but then award seats for two will not be available at the same low mile number and be forced to book more expensive seats. Please advise. Thanks!

Yes, you can split one person off later and cancel only that person's ticket.

WineCountryUA Mar 22, 2022 9:27 am

To do this you will need to split the PNR, does this involve a partner flight? If so, best to do this with an agent and make sure those traveling stay on the original PNR (which is the common approach).

an older thread

sharplea Mar 22, 2022 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 34094928)
WN Operates from T1 at SFO, and the Polaris lounge is in International G. There is no airside connector between those two terminals. So you would have to clear security twice, and it is a long ways from G to T1.

Ah. That's not great news. I must have misread something as I thought you could connect from an international flight to T1 but given I'll need to collect checked baggage and re-check it with WN chances are I'd have to go through Customs anyway.

mahasamatman Mar 22, 2022 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by sharplea (Post 34097172)
given I'll need to collect checked baggage and re-check it with WN chances are I'd have to go through Customs anyway.

Even if it was the same terminal, you would have to clear Immigration and Customs.

Bruin1K Mar 22, 2022 2:24 pm

refund for E+

Hello,
Someone I know wants to buy E+ on the way to europe and I am going to try to upgrade them using my pointplus. If the upgrade goes through, would they get a refund for the E+ seats they purchases?

Thanks,

WineCountryUA Mar 22, 2022 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bruin1K (Post 34097647)
Someone I know wants to buy E+ on the way to europe and I am going to try to upgrade them using my pointplus. If the upgrade goes through, would they get a refund for the E+ seats they purchases? ...

On a PlusPoints upgrade, yes

Repooc17 Mar 23, 2022 8:58 am

I generally always use my electronic boarding pass (BP) from the (phone) app, but I was given a paper BP recently after being confirmed for a seat via standby. However, I left behind the paper BP in the seat pocket.

Any issues with someone stealing my info? BP shows my name, my PNR # (the standby flight was the last flight on it), my FF#. Anything to worry about? I don't believe so.

WineCountryUA Mar 23, 2022 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 34099788)
I generally always use my electronic boarding pass (BP) from the (phone) app, but I was given a paper BP recently after being confirmed for a seat via standby. However, I left behind the paper BP in the seat pocket.

Any issues with someone stealing my info? BP shows my name, my PNR # (the standby flight was the last flight on it), my FF#. Anything to worry about? I don't believe so.

If the PNR is completed, then no real risk. Also, only part of the FF# shows, the last 3 chars? show on the printed version but the full FF# is encoded in the bar code. Slight risk there but with a strong password and security question things should be OK - but still best to not associate you name and FF# publicly.

oceanbreeez Mar 23, 2022 6:44 pm

Question on using miles for Miami Herald newspaper subscription

Just in case anyone on this forum has used their MileagePlus miles to subscribe to the Miami Herald, I am wondering if a bill is emailed for the $9.99 activation fee mentioned in the fine print? Or does that fee only get charged once you are finished with the miles-subscription and start the auto-renewal at the regular price? Thanks for any feedback. I'm not interested in paying for the subscription, but if it is free (miles), I would do it and use it a small number of miles. TYIA

Kacee Mar 23, 2022 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by sharplea (Post 34097172)
I must have misread something as I thought you could connect from an international flight to T1

You can connect airside from International A to T1, but not International G. The Polaris Lounge is in G.

Wooglin Mar 23, 2022 10:55 pm

Our upcoming flight HNL-ORD (and the return) just got switched from the 77W to a 787-10...
Are both of these J cabins the same as far as Polaris seats go?

daq Mar 24, 2022 7:20 am

I'm flying with one other person in an E175 in about 2 weeks. Right now it looks like the flight is only about half full with almost all of the E+ seats available and no regular Economy seats open. We're currently assigned 2 Economy seats. Is there any reason not to have them unselect our seat assignment and hope to get an E+ seat when seats are eventually assigned? It's not like there are middle seats on the plane and it looks like the flight will be pretty empty so not sure if there's a risk of doing this that I'd be missing...

WineCountryUA Mar 24, 2022 8:28 am

Originally Posted by daq (Post 34102475)
I'm flying with one other person in an E175 in about 2 weeks. Right now it looks like the flight is only about half full with almost all of the E+ seats available and no regular Economy seats open. We're currently assigned 2 Economy seats. Is there any reason not to have them unselect our seat assignment and hope to get an E+ seat when seats are eventually assigned? It's not like there are middle seats on the plane and it looks like the flight will be pretty empty so not sure if there's a risk of doing this that I'd be missing...

You should expect to sit in regular E unless UA runs out of regular E and then some of the overflow may go to E+.

Another case is for weight and balance the FA may move some passengers to different seats.

DO not expect to be able to seat in E+ just because there are empty seats there.

goodeats21 Mar 24, 2022 8:34 am

Originally Posted by daq (Post 34102475)

The risk would be not sitting together, if that is a consideration.

You might be surprised out how the E+ section fills up in the next 2 weeks though.

Repooc17 Mar 24, 2022 8:54 am

There are always a number of pax don't select seats ahead of time, so the seat map may not be an accurate depiction of booked E+ seats. Also, E+ becomes free for Silver members at check-in, so need to factor that as well.