Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
The 787 I'm looking at (787-9) has Polaris seats. I've only ever flown on the Polaris 777s seats, so that's the point of reference I was looking to compare. I have heard about the cabin pressurization on the Dreamliner, but it doesn't sound like there's enough of a difference to warrant shelling out cash for the Y ticket. Still going back and forth on that. Thanks for the help.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 12:47 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Does anyone else notice the updates on the United app or know how to get rid of flights from the "flight status" tab that arent yours. Previously this used to not happen but these last few days, any flight that i look up the status for (relatives or co workers flights) it now gets added to the "flight status" tab under "my flights" and its mixing in with flights that I am actually flying so does anyone know how to get rid of them beyond waiting a few days past when they disappear? Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Does anyone else notice the updates on the United app or know how to get rid of flights from the "flight status" tab that arent yours. Previously this used to not happen but these last few days, any flight that i look up the status for (relatives or co workers flights) it now gets added to the "flight status" tab under "my flights" and its mixing in with flights that I am actually flying so does anyone know how to get rid of them beyond waiting a few days past when they disappear? Thanks!
I started seeing that this week. Mine vanished after two or three days, so there seems to be an "expiry" time on the flights you look up.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Originally Posted by VRFast
I started seeing that this week. Mine vanished after two or three days, so there seems to be an "expiry" time on the flights you look up.
It seems they fixed this. Flight status in the app was adding every flight looked up to "my flights" earlier this week, but it's not doing so now.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport
What's the difference in the lie-flat seats/cabin experience between a 777 and 787 Dreamliner? Have the chance to fly the Dreamliner but the dollar cost of the ticket is very high. So I am not sure if I should use miles to book Y or $+plus points to try and get the lie flat. It's a domestic flight so don't want to buy business class using miles. If there's no big difference, I may just buy a Y award ticket. Thanks in advance.
The difference in cabin pressurization between a 787 and other aircraft is unlikely to be noticed and not worth additional cost for most people. The difference between various lie-flat seats is unlikely to be significant and not worth additional cost for most people. The difference between a lay-flat seat and a non-lay-flat seat is very significant and very often worth additional cost.

Kinda like the difference between TaylorMade/Titleist/Callaway golf clubs, Wilson/Head/Prince/Dunlop tennis racquets and Rosignol/K2/Atomic/Volant/etc. skis. Different manufacturer will only make a difference to most accomplished discerning users, but everyone would notice the difference between a driver and a 7 iron.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
everyone would notice the difference between a driver and a 7 iron.
There's a difference?
Dr Jabadski likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There's a difference?
Not to me. Neither one goes very far and both go almost opposite the intended direction .
Old Mar 21, 2022, 6:09 am

Just done a last minute cash booking in United Polaris Business from DUB - SFO via LHR. Looking at my transit times, I'll not have time to hit any lounges at LHR as its a 90 min transit, but when I get to SFO I have up to 4hrs before I take an internal on a LCC, on a completely different booking/PNR.

I'm aware that I will have to exit customs and recheck my bag, but will I still be able to access the Polaris lounge at SFO? The way I read the access rules was that I would be able to on production of my DUB-SFO boarding pass but wanted to make sure, if anyone has any previous experience that they could advise?
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by sharplea
Just done a last minute cash booking in United Polaris Business from DUB - SFO via LHR. Looking at my transit times, I'll not have time to hit any lounges at LHR as its a 90 min transit, but when I get to SFO I have up to 4hrs before I take an internal on a LCC, on a completely different booking/PNR.

I'm aware that I will have to exit customs and recheck my bag, but will I still be able to access the Polaris lounge at SFO? The way I read the access rules was that I would be able to on production of my DUB-SFO boarding pass but wanted to make sure, if anyone has any previous experience that they could advise?
If you can access the air side area where the Polaris Lounge is located, then yes, your BP for LHR->SFO will get you access.
sharplea likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

Who are you flying with from DUB to LHR? Surely it's not United. 90 mins is plenty of time for lounge visit. I have done lounge visits 5 mins prior to departure.
sharplea likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: UA Gold
I see that United makes it very difficult to transfer Miles between people but is there any sort of exception if it's between spouses? Thanks.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 11:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rbakker
I see that United makes it very difficult to transfer Miles between people but is there any sort of exception if it's between spouses? Thanks.
No exceptions except after death of the member.
It is easy to transfer miles, just costly.
There are ways to avoid transferring, see Short miles for award, What about transferring from another account? Alternatives?
Old Mar 21, 2022, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
If you can access the air side area where the Polaris Lounge is located, then yes, your BP for LHR->SFO will get you access.
Excellent, thank you. That was my understanding but wanted to be 100% sure. Will definitely be going back airside as flying WN SFO>LAS.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Who are you flying with from DUB to LHR? Surely it's not United. 90 mins is plenty of time for lounge visit. I have done lounge visits 5 mins prior to departure.
Aer Lingus, but I am a disabled traveller with wheelchair support and am expecting the ground staff at LHR to take me straight to the gate.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Excellent, thank you. That was my understanding but wanted to be 100% sure. Will definitely be going back airside as flying WN SFO>LAS..
WN Operates from T1 at SFO, and the Polaris lounge is in International G. There is no airside connector between those two terminals. So you would have to clear security twice, and it is a long ways from G to T1.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 7:19 am

Cancel one person on three person award ticket be dropped?

I recently booked a three person award international ticket for Dec under one reservation record. Since one person may not be able to go and we may need to cancel one seat before the trip in Nov, I called United to see if they can split the award reservation into two reservations. The ticket agent said that one person can always be dropped and miles returned. Just want to double check. I would hate to be stuck in Nov that I will have to cancel three seat reservation all together but then award seats for two will not be available at the same low mile number and be forced to book more expensive seats. Please advise. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.