Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As {Archive}

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As {Archive}

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 11, 22, 3:56 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 5, 17, 10:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
... Will I be able to cancel my flight two hours before departure without penalty as a 1K? ...
Yes
A paid refundable fare for a flight that day will work also.

Either technique is the 2017 version of a Gate Pass.
Old Apr 5, 17, 11:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
Will I be able to cancel my flight two hours before departure without penalty as a 1K?
Just don't make a habit of it . . . .

UA as Loyal as a 3-Dollar Bill
Old Apr 6, 17, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Yes
A paid refundable fare for a flight that day will work also.

Either technique is the 2017 version of a Gate Pass.
Thank You.^
Old Apr 7, 17, 11:19 pm

Award Booking and cancellation fees. Was I overcharged?

I booked an award flight through UA but operated by ANA. Unless I am misreading according to this chart I should have been charged $25 but was charged $40.06. Is this because it is on ANA metal? Just want to check before I call them.

Also, am I reading this correctly? If I change or cancel the award booking, under 61 days, it is $125!!! Seems kind of steep. Are 100 percent of the miles redeposited? So if I book 2 one ways I will be charged $250 to cancel?

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ticketing.aspx

Thanks as always.
Old Apr 7, 17, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Budoka View Post
I booked an award flight through UA but operated by ANA. Unless I am misreading according to this chart I should have been charged $25 but was charged $40.06. Is this because it is on ANA metal? Just want to check before I call them.
You have to pay taxes and airport / customs / immigration / etc. fees on an international award, regardless of carrier. Unlike some of its competitors, UA does not collect fuel surcharges on award tickets. $40.06 sounds normal to me.

Originally Posted by Budoka View Post
Also, am I reading this correctly? If I change or cancel the award booking, under 61 days, it is $125!!! Seems kind of steep. Are 100 percent of the miles redeposited? So if I book 2 one ways I will be charged $250 to cancel?
Yes and yes.
Old Apr 7, 17, 11:25 pm

On the initial booking did you call in? If so that could be $25 for the phone booking fee and the other $15ish in taxes for the flight.

On the other bits, yes you pay for each ticket and at the published rates, though the miles are fully refunded. Status can change some fees.
Old Apr 8, 17, 12:42 am

Thanks for the info everyone. I appreciate the replies.
Old Apr 9, 17, 11:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG
We had two J awards originally booked in September last year. Neither of us traveling has UA status these days but the award miles were a gift from MIL who is 1K. We wound up booking an entirely new reservation because we could not change the tickets successfully online due to UA.com system errors, and cancelled the original reservation. We were charged $125 redeposit fee each. Shouldn't this have been waived since the tickets originated from a 1K account? If so, this seems like the system is erroneously charging these redeposit fees.
Old Apr 9, 17, 3:05 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by spgaston View Post
We had two J awards originally booked in September last year. Neither of us traveling has UA status these days but the award miles were a gift from MIL who is 1K. We wound up booking an entirely new reservation because we could not change the tickets successfully online due to UA.com system errors, and cancelled the original reservation. We were charged $125 redeposit fee each. Shouldn't this have been waived since the tickets originated from a 1K account? If so, this seems like the system is erroneously charging these redeposit fees.
When someone else books a ticket in their account on your behalf and add adds your UA FF# to the ticket, the reservation will then show up in both the original booking account (your MIL's) and your UA account to view/edit/cancel reservation.

Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like you might have cancelled the reservation in your UA account rather than doing it through your MIL's account. Hence, the system looked at your general status and charged the $125 fee accordingly. If you had cancelled through your MIL's account, it would have been free since the system will see the 1k status.
Old Apr 9, 17, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by spgaston View Post
Shouldn't this have been waived since the tickets originated from a 1K account? If so, this seems like the system is erroneously charging these redeposit fees.
Yes. I hope you didn't pay it. Your MIL should call MPSC for free redeposit of her miles.
Old Apr 9, 17, 8:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Explorer789 View Post
When someone else books a ticket in their account on your behalf and add adds your UA FF# to the ticket, the reservation will then show up in both the original booking account (your MIL's) and your UA account to view/edit/cancel reservation.

Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like you might have cancelled the reservation in your UA account rather than doing it through your MIL's account. Hence, the system looked at your general status and charged the $125 fee accordingly. If you had cancelled through your MIL's account, it would have been free since the system will see the 1k status.
I was definitely logged in to her account when I completed the cancellation. My Mileage Plus # was likely part of the traveler info too.

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yes. I hope you didn't pay it. Your MIL should call MPSC for free redeposit of her miles.
We did pay it. As bad as united.com is I didn't really have confidence that they would actually charge it, and if they did charge we figure we would try to get it refunded after we confirmed that we were indeed not supposed to be charged.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 9, 17 at 9:09 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 22, 17, 8:13 am

Programs: ALL MAJOR FFP AND FSP
Can award tickets be redeposited for mileage refund after "no-showing" for the booked flights?

I ask because right now I am Gold and expect to reach 1K by the end of the year. If I book an award ticket for travel before I reach 1K, but decide not to use that ticket, instead of cancelling it before departure (which will incur a fee because I only have Gold right now), can I just no-show and ask for a fee free redeposit of mileage once I reach 1K (whilst staying within the 1 year limit since original ticketing date), as fees are based on the status "at the time of the request"?

Thanks
Old Apr 22, 17, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ldnhlj View Post
If I book an award ticket for travel before I reach 1K, but decide not to use that ticket, instead of cancelling it before departure (which will incur a fee because I only have Gold right now), can I just no-show and ask for a fee free redeposit of mileage once I reach 1K (whilst staying within the 1 year limit since original ticketing date), as fees are based on the status "at the time of the request"?
I just pulled up the receipt for an award ticket I have, and although I don't see the 0VALUAFTDPT code, I do see "All changes need to be made prior to the departure date, or the ticket has no value."

So, no, I don't think that will work. Sorry. :-(
Old Apr 24, 17, 7:20 pm

Cancellation fee question

I have an award flight in 5 weeks for two passengers on Austrian Airlines booked with United miles that I need to move a day up. I have no status and origin/destination are the same.

On the united website I am given the following options:

A: Change the flight for $250 total
B: Cancel reservation now and change ticket later. A change fee of up to $100 per ticket may apply. Premier members are eligible for reduced award change fees. (no mention of the exact amount this will cost, but since I have no status I'm guessing it will be the full $100)

Is option B the best choice for this or is there some other method to avoiding these fees.

Thanks.
Old Apr 24, 17, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I think you're mixing up award fees charts. It's $250 either way.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ticketing.aspx

Search this Thread