Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As {Archive}

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As {Archive}

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 11, 22, 3:56 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 25, 19, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vishalg View Post
Is this correct?
Yes.
Old Jan 25, 19, 2:59 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Thanks for the super quick response @jssloan

Just like round trip, a multi-city ticket is also considered one ticket, correct?

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 19, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by vishalg View Post
Thanks for the super quick response @jssloan

Just like round trip, a multi-city ticket is also considered one ticket, correct?

Thanks!
Yes, in the context of change fees, "ticket" = "PNR x pax" (roughly). I think it might actually be pricing units, but unless your trip has more than two stopovers plus a destination it should be fine.
Old Feb 2, 19, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Was a 1K for a few years and Plat last year so I haven't kept up to date on the minutiae of benefits. Anyways, is it still that 1Ks can cancel award flights and get all miles re-deposited for $0? I have plenty of miles in the bank and I haven't done it for at least 2 years but I used to book a new award flight (LH J/F) and then cancel my existing award flight (UA J) in the event that it changes carriers because I feel it's just easier and cleaner that once I know 100% I have a new award that's ticketed I feel safe cxl my previous ticket.

(I thought there was a 1K benefits thread but searching I couldn't come up with anything so feel free to move Mods.)
Old Feb 2, 19, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
Was a 1K for a few years and Plat last year so I haven't kept up to date on the minutiae of benefits. Anyways, is it still that 1Ks can cancel award flights and get all miles re-deposited for $0? I have plenty of miles in the bank and I haven't done it for at least 2 years but I used to book a new award flight (LH J/F) and then cancel my existing award flight (UA J) in the event that it changes carriers because I feel it's just easier and cleaner that once I know 100% I have a new award that's ticketed I feel safe cxl my previous ticket.

(I thought there was a 1K benefits thread but searching I couldn't come up with anything so feel free to move Mods.)
Yes, this is a benefit. I did use it last year when I found a better flight. Booked the better flight then cancelled the previous one.
Old Feb 2, 19, 12:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
1ks / GSs are exempt from most award fees , only subject to the "no show" redeposit fee
Look at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1928496
or
Premier benefits chart
or
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...questions.html
Old Feb 2, 19, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As long as you cancel before departure, you're fine and it's free. Just make sure you don't hold two overlapping itineraries for any significant period of time.
Old Feb 5, 19, 7:01 am

A few weeks ago, I booked a flight on a Saver Award about 4 hours before the flight. I am Gold, so paid the $25 close-in booking fee. The flight was then delayed 8 hours, and later canceled due to a combination of weather and ATC delays. Rather than re-book, I elected to cancel the reservation and request a re-deposit of the miles. The $25 close-in fee was never refunded. Is it true that the close-in booking fee is non-refundable even if the flight is canceled? Any tips for getting this refunded if it is considered non-refundable?

I was under the impression pretty much all fees are refundable if the flight is canceled.

Last edited by usflyer16; Feb 5, 19 at 7:08 am
Old Feb 5, 19, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by usflyer16 View Post
A few weeks ago, I booked a flight on a Saver Award about 4 hours before the flight. I am Gold, so paid the $25 close-in booking fee. The flight was then delayed 8 hours, and later canceled due to a combination of weather and ATC delays. Rather than re-book, I elected to cancel the reservation and request a re-deposit of the miles. The $25 close-in fee was never refunded. Is it true that the close-in booking fee is non-refundable even if the flight is canceled? Any tips for getting this refunded if it is considered non-refundable?
Have you followed up and requested it be refunded?
Old Feb 5, 19, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by usflyer16 View Post
I was under the impression pretty much all fees are refundable if the flight is canceled.
I'm pretty sure that UA considers it an ancillary fee, not related to the flight itself, the same as it would a change fee or a telephone booking fee. Your opinion may vary, but I don't think UA considers it refundable.
Old Feb 5, 19, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I'm pretty sure that UA considers it an ancillary fee, not related to the flight itself, the same as it would a change fee or a telephone booking fee. Your opinion may vary, but I don't think UA considers it refundable.
Likely so, but I'd still ask in the context of a refund for a flight cancellation.
Old Feb 15, 19, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Have you followed up and requested it be refunded?
Just called the Premier line and they refunded immediately and apologized for the mistake.
Old Feb 15, 19, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post

Canceled another award ticket yesterday and unable to cancel myself. I tried both the website and the app, and got the same error message both times. I had to call in and agent was able to cancel immediately.

Im wondering if this might be caused by the new website. Timing seems to match, though I cant say for sure.
This is an ongoing problem as I still cant cancel award bookings myself. A friend and I booked an award ticket for YYZ-EWR for Feb 13 since we had AC revenue tickets for Feb 12 and there was an impending blizzard. In the end, there was a weather waiver and AC let us fly to EWR on the 11th. Neither my friend nor I were able to cancel our award tickets online. Hes also Cdn. Sure would be nice if UA fixed this problem.
Old Feb 22, 19, 11:20 am

$75 last minute fee for award travel

Is there any way to get this waived, say for a family emergency? I don't relish another call to Manila. Also, how many hours/days before the flight does the fee kick in?
Old Feb 22, 19, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom_MN View Post
Is there any way to get this waived, say for a family emergency? I don't relish another call to Manila. Also, how many hours/days before the flight does the fee kick in?
It's waived with sufficient Premier status or with the United Club credit card. Other than that, you can try asking, but I wouldn't expect anything.

The fee kicks in 21 days before the flight.

Search this Thread