Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Agent Check In Options? (TPA experience)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Agent Check In Options? (TPA experience)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2022, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Ari
Can you explain this need? I am very curious . . .
I actually just like to use a paper boarding pass: keep it until miles post, then toss it. Don't like a mobile pass because I've had them change/disappear in the past and its easier to argue with a gate agent if you have a paper boarding pass as opposed to a picture.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by FAA1996; Feb 8, 2022 at 3:11 pm
Old Feb 8, 2022, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I'm headed to TPA next week, I'll report back.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by FAA1996
I actually just like to use a paper boarding pass: keep it until miles post, then toss it. Don't like a mobile pass because I've had them change/disappear in the past and its easier to argue with a gate agent if you have a paper boarding pass as opposed to a picture.
I used to be that way but as long as I have an email receipt with the PNR/eTicket #, I am usually okay if there's a change (in an IRROPS situation).

UA also has gotten really good with posting miles to MP by the time your plane parks at the gate (still not 100% consistent though). If they don't post, I just ping MP via e-mail with my PNR and usually post within a week (or much less) without too much effort. I am now more paranoid of people lifting info from the BPs so I don't use paper anymore or I shred and burn those things.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
I'm with the OP on wanting a paper boarding pass. Although I do use the mobile boarding pass often, I find that it is easier to pull out the crumpled piece of paper from my back pocket to scan at the gate, rather than trying to unlock my phone and bring up the pass. I'm a total klutz and usually screw that process up one way or the other. :-) But I usually print said pass at home or just use the kiosk. No need for an agent.
SPN Lifer and FAA1996 like this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:16 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
So glad you’re making the switch from AA over to UA… hope to see you on a TPA flight soon! ( don’t hesitate to check in with a UA agent at the counter! )
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 10:47 pm

In some ways "use the kiosk" has been less of a problem in the last five years. It was especially bad after the merger, however, since UA moved to the new "flex" white screens, they typically have less positions with the kiosk affixed to the physical counter.

I remain unconvinced that kiosk check in "is the future". It's a lousy experience that is in-personal and takes time. App based acceptance is the easiest and most efficient, followed by other at home options, and then I'd say regular agent check-in. Any "Step One" "Step Two" nonsense is just an effort to thin out the lines a little bit.

For United, whenever you want a United representative to check you in, look for one of two signs, assuming you aren't Premier: Either "Economy" (typically at smaller stations & international stations without much self alternative or "Additional Services". In Newark, as an exception for some odd reason, it's called "Travel Assistance".

Avoid signs for "Baggage Drop", "Bag Drop Shortcut" & "Group Check-In"
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
So went to check in at terminal C in IAH yesterday: followed signs to Premier check in or something like that. Agents were congregated at end of aisle and kiosks were not manned, only people behind to grab checked luggage. We started the check in process but asked an agent for help as we changed flights at last minute and were not able to get seats together so we wanted to check. Agent came over and finished checking us in one by one at kiosks then went back into one of our reservations to try and change seats (all seats I F were taken). I was surprised they don't have a computer our counter to do this type of thing but used the same kiosk that we used. In the end it didn't really matter as there was an empty seat next to us in F. This also surprised me because I thought there were several people in the upgrade list but we left with an empty seat, does UA not upgrade people after boarding if someone doesn't show up?
Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
This is one thing which I became annoyed with shortly after COdbaUA came into play ten years ago. At MCI and other airports, I’d always get great service from the agents working the 1K check-in lines. I occasionally used “Mr. Chicken” to get a gold, card stock BP, but preferred the interaction and having a chance to check on VDB opportunities, upgrades, etc. Once the merger happened, the CO employees wjo
came over seemed to force everybody to use a kiosk.

I still dislike the kiosks and much prefer a person if possible. I still collect paper BPs and find the kiosk issued tp style BPs don’t hold up and are difficulty to read after a year or so.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
As promised, checking back in. I was in TPA last week, and while I didn't utilize a live agent to actually check in (just to hand over my bags). There was a rather old couple next to me who fully checked in with one of the many UA agents working behind the kiosks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.