Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

removing service agents from clubs? New direction: combo in-person / virtual agents

Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Virtual agent link

https://united.fiveout.app/welcome
Print Wikipost

removing service agents from clubs? New direction: combo in-person / virtual agents

Old Feb 7, 2022, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
Although it may sound strange in this day and age, some people do not carry a phone with them when they fly, especially internationally. I am one of those people. I've used the Club agents many times during IROPS (which happen quite often at hubs like EWR or ORD), and I would be very disappointed if they are gone for good. There's little else of value in many UCs.
At my work we have been specifically advised NOT to carry a phone when traveling to certain areas (e.g., China).
StuMcIlwain and United747 like this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy Tit/LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Enterprise Gold, UA*S, Accor Gold, Hz 5*
One of my fondest RCC memories that got me hooked on status was during IRROPs at ORD over 10 years ago. I was traveling with my dad (he was AC*G), and there was a thunderstorm. Everything was cancelled, the lineups for CS had what looked like hundreds of people in them. Walk into the RCC, and it was calm with no wait for an agent. Rebooked within 5 minutes and on our way with hotel vouchers for a Hilton. I've used the CS agents in the club many times since and I'm not even a UA flyer.

Please everyone write in to help stop this nonsense, probably one of my favourite features of flying UA are those agents.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by doug_999
They have been there all year (2022) from what I remember - in fact, I think they were there Tuesday (Feb 01, 2022)
Not from my recollection. the area where the desks/terminals was blocked off with large plexiglass screens, and signs point to people to the app and/or to call. Now its walled off. I was last in B6 on Jan 23. And I was in there at least once a week every week before that between thanksgiving and xmas. That said, I always turn right off the top of the escalators and head down to the far end where the bar area and food is without much though of anything there.

Anyway, there's likely good reason they removed them, the personnel are better deployed elsewhere. I mean look at the talk on here, most of us just walk by and don't use them. Going out on a limb I'll say most lounge users are frequent flyers with status who call in for help. Sure, there are the people with the one time passes via credit cards, or the one-off flyers on Intl J fares, but most people in there are 'seasoned' so-to-speak. I don't like to see Kutbacks, but I guess I understand. I will say with 100% certainty the agents in the ORD PL pull double duty working check in and the sit down help desks, depending. But the PL is a whole different topic.

Also, when you pass by the customer service areas like the large one in ORD C right next to the PL or the one of over in F, there are now self service virtual Kiosks that put you in touch with an agent and several of the manned desks are closed.

This is all part of larger plan of "enhancements you'll like" I'm afraid.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: UA GS
It would be great if we could get a confirmation of this change (or a correction) from another Ft'er visiting the ORD club. I think OP is expressing some doubt in the statement from the Lounge employee. 🤔
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Being able to video-chat with an agent is not the same as in-person assistance, for the same reason that a Zoom call can't replace a dinner meeting or a quick pop into a colleague's office.

Humans have a natural tendency to feel more empathy for those they see in person -- those whom our brains fully recognize as flesh-and-blood people -- than for people we only engage with remotely, whether by email, by call, or by video chat. The closer to real interaction, the better -- I'd rather video chat with an agent than text one -- but when I need an agent to be flexible, or do me a favor, or go out of their way to make a complicated change or do some lengthy research to fix a reservation, I'd much rather that conversation be in person. Not only is the agent likely to be more sympathetic, but it's sometimes easier to convey a request in person than by phone, where the lack of visual cues can make a well-meaning or friendly question come off as a complaint or demand.

I've long had a hierarchy for engaging with airport agents, especially when I'm asking for something that's not an easy-to-execute, SOP request. My view is that agents are most flexible in the following order, assuming they have time to speak with you. From most to least accommodating:

1. At the gate
2. At the club
3. At a post-security customer service counter (can be very hit or miss)
4. At check-in
5. By phone (Premier agents)
6. By text
7. By email (the "Contact Us" feature)

I've never tried the video chat, but I assume it's either as or slightly less helpful than the 1K line. So, long story short, if I'm asking an agent to rebook me OAL, or to consider some atypical (but rational) re-routing, or to agree that a flight that's just "delayed" will probably be canceled, I'd much rather do it in person.
uanj, Gar1P, MrAndy1369 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:05 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
It would be great if we could get a confirmation of this change (or a correction) from another Ft'er visiting the ORD club. I think OP is expressing some doubt in the statement from the Lounge employee. 🤔
It's here to stay. Spoke to the manager of the ORD clubs last month and he confirmed it. Told him that many of us won't be happy with this.
SPN Lifer, karenkay, as219 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
It's here to stay. Spoke to the manager of the ORD clubs last month and he confirmed it. Told him that many of us won't be happy with this.
For clarification, does this apply to ORD or is this systemwide?
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Sounds like UA needs to edit their website.
United Club℠ locations offer a wide range of amenities to make your experience productive and enjoyable.

To support a healthier and safer environment throughout your travel journey, some amenities may be different or unavailable. As you plan your next visit, learn how we're putting your health and safety at the forefront of your United Club experience.
  • Complimentary beverages and light snacks
  • Complimentary bar service
  • Agent assistance with reservations, seat assignments and electronic ticketing
  • Complimentary high-speed wireless internet access
  • Private phone booths with speakerphonesfootnote*
  • Information on local dining and entertainment options
* Available at select locations.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by halls120
Sounds like UA needs to edit their website.
I suspect UA would respond that they are still providing virtual agent assistance and that it's the same thing.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:37 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by LondonElite
For clarification, does this apply to ORD or is this systemwide?
He is only in charge of ORD, but he gave me the impression that it could go to others too.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Maybe my photo wasn't clear, but the area on the left is a set of fibreboards hastily put up in front of the customer service desks, which are still there, with the computers in place. Two pictures adorn the fibreboards. There is a temporary door on the side. What I would expect to happen next is the desk and computers get dismantled and removed out of sight of those using the lounge.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:44 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gmt4
Anyway, there's likely good reason they removed them, the personnel are better deployed elsewhere.
Granted I don't live in horrible places like Chicago and New York subject to snow and Thunderstorms - but I've never seen an agent at HNL literally ever do anything for a customer except welcome me to the Club in 10+ years (and they have 2 of them), nor at LAS (2 of them), and the ones at LAX and SFO (usually at least 5 (2 to check in and 3 just around the corner or upstairs sitting around) seemingly only do Hawaii wristbands.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Granted I don't live in horrible places like Chicago and New York subject to snow and Thunderstorms - but I've never seen an agent at HNL literally ever do anything for a customer except welcome me to the Club in 10+ years (and they have 2 of them), nor at LAS (2 of them), and the ones at LAX and SFO (usually at least 5 (2 to check in and 3 just around the corner or upstairs sitting around) seemingly only do Hawaii wristbands.
I can give you an endless stream of examples where an agent in a Club has helped me out during weather delays, cancellations, complex routings that were going haywire, hotel and food vouchers, etc. One agent in EWR was so determined to get me out of EWR (terrible weather a few years ago) and to southern Florida (I was booked to RSW but all those flights had been cancelled). She found me at the bar after working the issue for about 20 minutes and told me that I needed to decide, she had four options lined up for me, and with potential secured upgrades on all of them. Five minutes after that and I had a BP to FLL and some hotel vouchers in my hand.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
I can give you an endless stream of examples where an agent in a Club has helped me out during weather delays, cancellations, complex routings that were going haywire, hotel and food vouchers, etc. One agent in EWR was so determined to get me out of EWR (terrible weather a few years ago) and to southern Florida (I was booked to RSW but all those flights had been cancelled). She found me at the bar after working the issue for about 20 minutes and told me that I needed to decide, she had four options lined up for me, and with potential secured upgrades on all of them. Five minutes after that and I had a BP to FLL and some hotel vouchers in my hand.
that is the can-do attitude that United is renowned for! Cant imagine that ever happening on DL or at a SkyClub
SPN Lifer, uanj, halls120 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Exactly, UA lounge agents have saved me many times. Big here if that spreads.
SPN Lifer and rch4u like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.