Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Get the boarding pass the day before my flight at the checkin counter

Old Jan 26, 2022, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

I will flying out of a regional airport in a few weeks, the itinerary is XXX-EWR-NRT and a separated ticket NRT-GUM, all on UA. I am not eligible to enter Japan, so it's impossible for me to check in online and get boarding pass. I am little bit nervous that the checkin agent may give me hard time to checkin, since my XXX-EWR flight is very early in the morning, I don't want to risk argue with UA agent and miss my flight, is it possible I can visit the checkin counter the day before (and within 24 hours) and get my boarding passes? Any similar experience?
Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by gokeeper
I will flying out of a regional airport in a few weeks, the itinerary is XXX-EWR-NRT and a separated ticket NRT-GUM, all on UA. I am not eligible to enter Japan, so it's impossible for me to check in online and get boarding pass. I am little bit nervous that the checkin agent may give me hard time to checkin, since my XXX-EWR flight is very early in the morning, I don't want to risk argue with UA agent and miss my flight, is it possible I can visit the checkin counter the day before (and within 24 hours) and get my boarding passes? Any similar experience?
Thanks in advance.
Yes, I have done this before, for a very similar reason. Interesting itinerary with the separate ticket. Hopefully you don't run into any problems.
I would bet they will want you to have entry documentation for Japan, based on you ending your travel there (according to your first ticket).

Agree you would be wise to get hopefully get checked-in and boarding passes in hand the day before. Worth a trip to the airport.
gokeeper likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Yes, I have done this before, for a very similar reason. Interesting itinerary with the separate ticket. Hopefully you don't run into any problems.
Agree you would be wise to get checked-in and boarding passes in hand the day before. Worth a trip to the airport.
Thank you so much, my itinerary seems doable, got a lots of great input here

Do I need to submit covid test for US-NRT-GUM on separated tickets
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by gokeeper; Jan 26, 2022 at 2:22 pm
Old Jan 26, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
In the past, I’ve called and had CSRs link the record locators for separate trips as it helps with checkin and baggage routing etc. I don’t know though if such a nested trip runs you afoul of any UA fare rules.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by samplat
In the past, Ive called and had CSRs link the record locators for separate trips as it helps with checkin and baggage routing etc. I dont know though if such a nested trip runs you afoul of any UA fare rules.
Its not a nested trip.

The reservations on separate PNRs arent linked (ie integrated) when combined - the extra steps an agent has to do remains the same. Think of making a PB&J sandwich - one might take jelly out of fridge and peanut butter out of pantry and put both of them on the counter together. Thats what UA is doing with separate reservations. UA hasnt made a sandwich by putting the ingredients together on the counter.
gokeeper and artvandalay like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 26, 2022 at 1:59 pm
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by samplat
In the past, Ive called and had CSRs link the record locators for separate trips as it helps with checkin and baggage routing etc. I dont know though if such a nested trip runs you afoul of any UA fare rules.
Thanks, I will call in advance to see what they can do. And I will make sure to show the checkin agent both reservations at the same time hope he/she can understand I am flying into GUM with a connection in NRT.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Thanks, I will call in advance to see what they can do. And I will make sure to show the checkin agent both reservations at the same time hope he/she can understand I am flying into GUM with a connection in NRT.
Agent just puts some notes on both reservations; I.e., cross references. It will save a few seconds for checkin agent.
Agree that the trip to airport is worthwhile.
Good luck.
gokeeper likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 5:52 pm

Is that not cabotage?
Old Jan 26, 2022, 7:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
Is that not cabotage?
No for multiple reasons, such as
.., the itinerary is XXX-EWR-NRT and a separated ticket NRT-GUM, all on UA. .....
SPN Lifer and FlyerBeek like this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Thanks in advance.
Life will also be easier if your NRT-GUM ticket is on a Star Alliance carrier. You can then get your luggage checked through to GUM.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by seenitall
Life will also be easier if your NRT-GUM ticket is on a Star Alliance carrier. You can then get your luggage checked through to GUM.
OP states... ALL on UA.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 1:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by worldtrav
OP states... ALL on UA.
Actuallly can be a bit harder UA-UA vs UA-partner
Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...
Old Jan 28, 2022, 2:26 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Not related to the original question of checking in the day before, but itinerary wise, what happens if OP's EWR-NRT flight is late and he misses his NRT-GUM flight? Since there is only one flight NRT-GUM, I'm assuming OP would be spending the night in the connections area of the terminal.

Back to the original question, I add that checking in at the airport the day before is a good idea. Also, on departure day I would get to the original airport early as well.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 4:45 am

lol you'll be fine I've been doing the same thing the past few months. Go early and go straight to an agent who can assist with checking you in all the way to GUM; don't use the kiosk. It will take a little more effort on their part, but not much. In fact you will not be able to board your EWR-NRT flight with out the UA Rep verifying youre all "documents cleared" in NRT - in your case which will be your NRT-GUM flight. When you land in NRT, stay seated on the plane until the UA NRT Agents call for all transit passengers to deplane, and proceed to your next gate, which has been number 33 as of late. Enjoy and safe travels.
ETA - if the agent at the regional airport is unable to assist you (she should be able to though), go and visit the customer service desk and they can assist.

Originally Posted by phkc070408
Not related to the original question of checking in the day before, but itinerary wise, what happens if OP's EWR-NRT flight is late and he misses his NRT-GUM flight? Since there is only one flight NRT-GUM, I'm assuming OP would be spending the night in the connections area of the terminal.

Back to the original question, I add that checking in at the airport the day before is a good idea. Also, on departure day I would get to the original airport early as well.
UA in NRT has purposely held UA 197 a few times already in January for "Transit" passengers. I guess UA does not want to deal with stranded transit pax in NRT; better option is to hold UA197 and get them on their way.
SPN Lifer and gokeeper like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 28, 2022 at 12:31 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 28, 2022, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by phkc070408

That's a really good question. When I transited NRT in the middle of the COVID era, they shut down the terminal overnight and I recall seeing something that you can't stay there. Maybe they have relaxed the rules somewhat sincne.
If not, I assume there is some exception process to quarantine somewhere, thought I doubt it would be very convenient / comfortable.

Haven't heard any reports of it happening to anyone, surprisingly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.