Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Northeast Winter Weather 26-30 January 2022 (updated for the weekend)

Travel Waiver: Northeast Winter Weather 26-30 January 2022 (updated for the weekend)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 27, 22, 6:03 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
updated for the weekend

================================================== ==============================

original

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 28, 22, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA GS
Leaving tonight I was supposed to fly GRU-EWR-LAX. Tried to see if I could switch origin to GIG-IAH-LAX but, as expected, was not allowed to without an additional cost. I am now on GRU-ORD-LAX.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 22, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Seems like UA has cancelled pretty much everything ex-EWR, if not all, for tomorrow, January 29
Old Jan 28, 22, 3:41 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
A parent is flying from LHR-IAD-GSP tomorrow.

LHR-IAD is still on with no delays so far. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
Old Jan 28, 22, 4:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aflyingperson View Post
A parent is flying from LHR-IAD-GSP tomorrow.

LHR-IAD is still on with no delays so far. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
Other than some knock-on effect, IAD should be operating close to normal throughout the weekend. The storm will be concentrated to the coast and parts of New England.
Old Jan 28, 22, 5:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
All but one Saturday from EWR to LAX have been cancelled already.

The only one still on the board: Jan 29 UA717 with a schedule departure of 8PM.
Looks like that last flight was cancelled as well.
Old Jan 28, 22, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Bear96 View Post
Those are worst-case-scenario outliers. That is way more than the current official National Weather Service forecasts are calling for. But, of course, the worst case scenario is what people will focus on.

"Some forecasts" are also calling for the storm to go out to sea and, if anything, just barely graze the Boston area.
well well well ... looks like the European forecasts were correct. BOS will be pretty much closed tomorrow ... that'll take some time to dig out. My guess is Sunday will be minimal operations, if any from UA in BOS.
Old Jan 28, 22, 5:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ICN1K View Post
Leaving tonight I was supposed to fly GRU-EWR-LAX. Tried to see if I could switch origin to GIG-IAH-LAX but, as expected, was not allowed to without an additional cost. I am now on GRU-ORD-LAX.
Hopefully you didn't have to pay anything out of pocket. Between the cancelled EWR-LAX flight and the waiver in place, you should have been able to make the change without additional fare. Then again, some agents are not well-versed on travel waivers in place.
Old Jan 28, 22, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
Hopefully you didn't have to pay anything out of pocket. Between the cancelled EWR-LAX flight and the waiver in place, you should have been able to make the change without additional fare. Then again, some agents are not well-versed on travel waivers in place.
you would think they would allow a GRU-GIG change ... some agents are poorly trained
Old Jan 28, 22, 6:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
you would think they would allow a GRU-GIG change ... some agents are poorly trained
Waiver policy does not allow origin or destination changes (some agents might) BUT schedule changes do. If the agent gets locked on one, may need to reminder them of the other when both apply.
Old Jan 28, 22, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
Looks like that last flight was cancelled as well.
Yep - I had noted it in a later post. EWR is pretty much wiped out for tomorrow. There are no Saturday flights to LAX/SFO operating, or much of anything else to other destinations.

Seems like UA has cancelled pretty much everything ex-EWR, if not all, for tomorrow, January 29
Old Jan 29, 22, 6:27 am

Other than some knock-on effect, IAD should be operating close to normal throughout the weekend. The storm will be concentrated to the coast and parts of New England.
I feel very lucky for picking IAD-FRA-[Europe destination] as my routing for today instead of IAD-EWR-[Europe destination]. Priced out about the same; I picked this one because it was something like $10-20 cheaper.
Old Jan 29, 22, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Silver
Why would you switch origin airport from GRU to GIG? And why not GRU-IAH-LAX? Sold out?
Old Jan 29, 22, 11:59 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by seanp7 View Post
Why would you switch origin airport from GRU to GIG? And why not GRU-IAH-LAX? Sold out?
I had purchased an LAX-GRU RT fare from a post in the premium fare deals forum. So Paulos nice but I preferred seeing Rio. It would have saved me a 6 hour bus ride from Rio to So Paulo.

I chose GRU-ORD-LAX just because of more lifetime miles. I know I can request ORC from the original GRU-EWR-LAX but I dont know if I want to go through the hassle of calling to get the difference.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 22, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dont know if I want to go through the hassle of calling to get the difference.
1 line Email to [email protected] will do for an ORC request
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread