Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Northeast Winter Weather 26-30 January 2022 (updated for the weekend)

Travel Waiver: Northeast Winter Weather 26-30 January 2022 (updated for the weekend)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 27, 22, 6:03 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
updated for the weekend

================================================== ==============================

original

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 27, 22, 2:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
... Can I claim ORC?
ORC generally does not apply to changes before the day of travel
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 22, 2:51 pm

Programs: Star Gold
Question Change of FLL -> MIA not ok?

I've got a flight booked FLL-EWR-XXX that I'd like to change because of the waiver and me having a very tight schedule where I can't afford delays. There are no alternative flights (with seats available) FLL-XXX, but there are MIA-XXX. I've called twice and tried chat twice and all four times they've said they can't change the origin airport from FLL to MIA.

Any idea of recourse here? Is there anything I can do or do I just need to accept that it isn't possible to change from FLL to MIA?
Old Jan 27, 22, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Gnopps View Post
I've got a flight booked FLL-EWR-XXX that I'd like to change because of the waiver and me having a very tight schedule where I can't afford delays. There are no alternative flights (with seats available) FLL-XXX, but there are MIA-XXX. I've called twice and tried chat twice and all four times they've said they can't change the origin airport from FLL to MIA.

Any idea of recourse here? Is there anything I can do or do I just need to accept that it isn't possible to change from FLL to MIA?
Did you mention co-terminals?
Good luck.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 27, 22, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

If UA is introducing a schedule change then change in origin or destination with 250 miles (use to be 100) are explicitly allowed on schedule changes, MIA - FLL easly qualifies

Additional parameters for United flights impacted by irregular operations for United-operated flights
  1. Non-stops may go to connecting flights and connecting flights may go to non-stops.
  2. Connecting hub may be changed.
  3. If original day of departure is unavailable, may depart 7 days prior to or after original departure date. If outbound flight is impacted, subsequent flights on same itinerary may be changed to maintain original length of trip.***
  4. Alternate airports within a 250-mile radius of the original origin or departure airport***
But on travel wavier,

Changes permitted with a travel waiver

Travel agents may make voluntary changes and the change fee (if applicable) and difference in fare can be waived if the rescheduled travel meets the following parameters:
  • Same origin and destination
  • Same carrier
  • Same cabin and class of service
Old Jan 27, 22, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
If UA is introducing a schedule change then change in origin or destination with 250 miles (use to be 100) are explicitly allowed on schedule changes, MIA - FLL easly qualifies
Thanks, I think the problem I'm facing might be that none of my flights have been cancelled so far - there is only the waiver.

Do you know if there is anything I can ask UA-agents to lookup?
Old Jan 27, 22, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
Did you mention co-terminals? .
co-terminals is most a pricing concept and rarely works for rebooking (not useful for voluntary changes, SDC, waivers, ...)

Thanks, I think the problem I'm facing might be that none of my flights have been cancelled so far - there is only the waiver.

Do you know if there is anything I can ask UA-agents to lookup?
The waiver rules are pretty back and white
Unfortunately even SDC will not work
What is the cost of a voluntary change?
Old Jan 27, 22, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
co-terminals is most a pricing concept and rarely works for rebooking (not useful for voluntary changes, SDC, waivers, ...)

The waiver rules are pretty back and white
Unfortunately even SDC will not work
What is the cost of a voluntary change?
I managed to get it done now. Previously I had called my local number (Finland) and now tried calling the US-number instead. When calling local number I was put through to what sounded like asian-sounding agents and there was no hold time. US-number I had to wait 30 minutes but the agent who answered changed it for me.

Thanks for your help still!
Kmxu likes this.
Old Jan 27, 22, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Southwest A-List+ due to work. Otherwise, paid F or Biz for pleasure so not a mileage junkie
Originally Posted by whitesock View Post
I'm scheduled on IAD-FRA departing 5:30 PM on Saturday. I'm curious if anyone has insight as to how United/Dulles performs in these kind of storms, especially with TATL flights like this. After reviewing the alternatives in the app, if I were to postpone the trip, I would be departing the next evening from EWR and losing about 20 hours at my destination (this is a leisure trip).
Originally Posted by fed planner View Post
What about arriving into IAD on Saturday - typical delays in this type of situation?
IAD might get mmmaybe? a half inch / an inch or so out of this storm on Friday. Saturday forecast is currently calling for clouds in the morning then sun (but windy).
fed planner and whitesock like this.
Old Jan 28, 22, 5:50 am

Does UA serve Presque Isle?

I am just curious about my connection to EWR on Sunday. The aircraft will be directly from PQI (Presque Isle, Maine). Does UA serve this airport at all? Hopefully, my flights wont be impacted by weather for this Sunday.

here is the screen shot of where is this aircraft coming from

Edit: I got my answer with another click. Yes, there is EWR-PQI flight.
Old Jan 28, 22, 8:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Changed my flight from ex-JFK to ex-EWR

Got my (cleared) PlusPoints refunded after the change, but still in J cabin. Assuming I can fly, I would travel to and from SFO without needing any PlusPoints

Outbound fare bucket has changed to P (from PZ), return flight is still PZ.
Old Jan 28, 22, 9:53 am

Programs: UA GS
Just got notified UA1499 EWR-LAX was canceled. Trying to figure out which flight I want to switch to.
Old Jan 28, 22, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by ICN1K View Post
Just got notified UA1499 EWR-LAX was canceled. Trying to figure out which flight I want to switch to.
Saturday at EWR does not look very good at all. Your options are limited if you do not want to move your flight to another day.
ICN1K likes this.
Old Jan 28, 22, 10:42 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
All but one Saturday from EWR to LAX have been cancelled already.

The only one still on the board: Jan 29 UA717 with a schedule departure of 8PM.
ICN1K likes this.
Old Jan 28, 22, 10:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
EWR has snow AND wind in the forecast for Saturday and that's a really bad combo. My opinion is safest to move your flight to Friday or maybe Sunday. Perhaps Saturday evening you may get lucky as the snow is predicted to end by 2pm
ICN1K likes this.
Old Jan 28, 22, 11:17 am

Programs: DL DM; UA PM; AA 1MM
Flightaware shows that 68% of flights at Newark are already canceled for Friday (as of 1:15pm Friday). That number is for all carriers, not just United, but of course United is easily the largest carrier at Newark.

LGA at 79%, JFK at 52% as of now (that JFK number seems overly optimistic IMO)

Search this Thread