Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions about LH flights bought through United.com

Old Jan 23, 2022, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist

I am trying to use some UA future flight credits for a flight to Europe. Best options for me are LH flights sold by UA but it’s very confusing to figure out what’s actually included and what isn’t in the different UA fare classes and how they map to LH fare classes.

For example, I purchased a premium economy roundtrip according to UA but the LH site only showed one segment as premium and rest were listed as “economy basic” on the LH site. LH also wanted $$ for each segment seating. I had 2 bag allowance for some segments and 4 bags for the premium one. I ended up canceling the ticket as it wasn’t what UA told me I had purchased.

I’ve found another good fare, again on LH, that’s listed as basic economy on UA. UA is offering an upgrade to economy for $300 additional but since I will still have to pay for seats on LH, I think the only benefit to me would be free checked baggage?

Given the fare difference, I think I’d come out ahead by just booking the cheapest fare and using the $300 to cover seat assignment and baggage fees if needed (at most it will be 1 checked bag). Am I missing any other benefits by purchasing the UA basic economy fare for LH flights?

Thanks for any insights.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 1:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A couple of things
-- bag allowance at checkin is all that matters, there is no fees for connecting flights. And generally the highest bag allowance in a direction applies for the entire direction.
Same for the return
-- what were the fare classes either UA co-share fareclass (O, A, R) for premium economy or LH ( G, E, N)?
-- codeshares can cause the websites to get confused, knowing fare class helps
-- remember while UA calls it cheaps fares Basic Economy, LH uses the term Economy Light (not Economy Basic)
-- UA does not allow Basic Economy and other fares to be mixed on one ticket
-- Seat assignments fees on LH are common for some economy fares and for intra-europe segments, there are no advance economy seat assignments
-- Basic Economy fares on UA are not chargeable (unless upfared to non-Basic Economy). No sure if true when for purchasing from LH
-- UA's TATL Basic Economy includes standard check bag allowance but not advance seat assignment
-- Does UA's asic Economy "upgrade" apply to non-UA operated segments? It hard to understand how UA can impact the LH segments on a LH ticket?

So with more info on info on the tickets, it is hard to tell what is really happening here
Old Jan 23, 2022, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks WineCountryUA . The premium economy ticket listed classes as K,K, Q, R. On the last two segments, there’s also the notation “non-preferred cabin”, not sure what that’s about.

So it looks like even through UA site said the premium economy was for roundtrip, it was only for the last segment.

I’ll use the fare classes you listed to search and see if I can figure out something that works.Or just stick to the same option through out and skip the alternate options for LH when purchasing on UA.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 3:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by samplat
Thanks WineCountryUA . The premium economy ticket listed classes as K,K, Q, R. On the last two segments, theres also the notation non-preferred cabin, not sure what thats about.

So it looks like even through UA site said the premium economy was for roundtrip, it was only for the last segment...
Not all aircraft have PremiumPlus or PremiumEconomy. And on codeshares UA may not have inventory access to PremEconomy.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 6:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not all aircraft have PremiumPlus or PremiumEconomy. And on codeshares UA may not have inventory access to PremEconomy.
Which is why I usually buy my LH tickets on LH.com. That way I have access to LH's offer to buy up function, which almost always produces a good upgrade offer.
SPN Lifer and higher_flyer like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by halls120
Which is why I usually buy my LH tickets on LH.com. That way I have access to LH's offer to buy up function, which almost always produces a good upgrade offer.
Good point & I would normally do that but need to burn through a bunch of UA future flight credits expiring this year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.