Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

favorite restaurants/food places in UA hubs

favorite restaurants/food places in UA hubs

Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by riphamilton
does in-n-out at LAX count?

Originally Posted by J_Stroming
Wolfgang Puck at LAX because the bartenders are great!! Shoutout to Jose, Suzy, Jesus & Gerson! The oatmeal breakfast, hummus, and Caesar Salad are all good. Oh and the pizza!
Beside W Puck as a real restaurant, for decent fastfood there is a Carls jr in T8, which many UA fliers who are only in the busier T7 might miss.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
Just found this thread! Looking to avoid Polaris meals on a September ORD - ZRH flight. Was considering the German place (I love Reubens) but am intrigued by Tortas Frontera - I Googled some photos and the sandwiches look amazing.

Two questions:

1. Would any of them last, say, two hours from buying one to eating it an hour into my flight? Or are they best devoured immediately . . .?
2. If I ate in the airport are there any tables? I saw some high bar stools but due to recent surgery, those wouldn't be an option. Or are there tables nearby that one can use to eat take out food that are open to ANY restaurant food ie not meant for McDonalds (for example) customers.

THANKS!
Tortas Frontera is delicious! In addition to the bar stools, there are a number of regular low tables with chairs inside the Tortas Frontera space specifically for its own diners. And while they don't really indicate this in any way, if the line at the register is long, but there are open seats at tables or bar, you can grab a seat, and order a drink and/or your food from the bartender instead of waiting in line.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
Thanks for the Tortas Frontera info . . . My flight is at 3:30 so I will be at ORD around 11:30 ish? Good to know they will last - do I need to order it 'dry'? I do know the Polaris Lounge is an option. I haven't seen anything on the dining room menu that I can live without - depends on what it on offer in September AND how crowded the Lounge is. But certainly an option. Many thanks! Not all airports have decent places to eat. BNA got rid of all their Starbucks. I know, not every one likes Starbucks, but the replacement coffee shop is not great.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by physioprof
Tortas Frontera is delicious! In addition to the bar stools, there are a number of regular low tables with chairs inside the Tortas Frontera space specifically for its own diners. And while they don't really indicate this in any way, if the line at the register is long, but there are open seats at tables or bar, you can grab a seat, and order a drink and/or your food from the bartender instead of waiting in line.
shhhhh…this is our ‘secret’ way to get in quickly. While it can be crowded, we’ve had pretty good luck grabbing a table within a few minutes this way. Personally, think they are happy to leave this option as unadvertised - I know we are happy with it this way.
SPN Lifer and WheelsUpGal like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by emcampbe
shhhhh…this is our ‘secret’ way to get in quickly. While it can be crowded, we’ve had pretty good luck grabbing a table within a few minutes this way. Personally, think they are happy to leave this option as unadvertised - I know we are happy with it this way.
Mobile ordering is great too. Put it in while taxiing to gate, pick up by the time you get to B11.
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Any PP restaurant because of the price ratio. Though if you include gratuity, sometimes even that is questionable. It's been a long time since I've ever eaten at a non-PP airport restaurant. So based on that, I think the PL restaurant is probably the best actually. Not sure which one.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I promise. I won't tell! Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2022, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by CMK10
McDonalds at ORD because they still have the steak egg and cheese bagel which most markets no longer carry.
The McDonald's at DEN (B Concourse) was a long-time hold out (I think it disappeared post-Pandemic) years after all of the other McDonald's in the region got rid of it--though I preferred sausage to steak.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Another vote for Tortas Fronteras at ORD. I do wish the location in Terminal 1 would start serving breakfast again. Also underrated is the Skybridge Restaurant in concourse F (ORD)---for a great, greasy bfast sandwhich. They are also noticeably cheaper then everywhere else.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
EWR

EWR native here … my favorite EWR restaurant is my kitchen. Do my best to arrive as close to boarding as I can, and head out immediately on landing. Only need to grab a meal there if I’m delayed significantly. (Which, being EWR, happens.) If so, then Classified (sadly closed), the pizza place next door to it, or the United Club.

For other hubs …. Basically concur with most of the above posts.

ORD - Tortas of course. Nothing else there I care for.
SFO - Yankee Pier. Used to like the Chinese food place in the rotunda, but it’s long gone. Klein’a is OK at best. Being a Jersey guy, I’m spoiled by great delis.
IAD - almost never here so … United Club.
IAH - Pappadeaux of course. Clear winner.
LAX - United Club. Everything else there kinda sucks.
DEN - Elway’s. City Wok for an occasional guilty
pleasure.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
At DEN, we like all of these in the center area of B:
- Elway's. Sit down, eat in. (a bit pricey, but almost always good service)
- Modern Market. Take-out.
- Garbanzo. Take-out. They often close early which is a little frustrating.
- Shake Shack. Take-out with their own seating area. Upstairs.

There is another Elway's in the Ritz in downtown Denver.
There is a Pappadeaux in Denver too - south of downtown, and just west of I-25. Sadly not in the airport.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Waiting will lead to diasppointment as usual.....
better question- what’s the best sandwich shop / deli in Houston airport ? I will have enough time to go to Polaris or centurion lounge in Houston but +1 has tight connection…. Don’t want to have a hangry husband on this trip so I want to be prepared
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Originally Posted by Millionmilesgirl
better question- what’s the best sandwich shop / deli in Houston airport ? I will have enough time to go to Polaris or centurion lounge in Houston but +1 has tight connection…. Don’t want to have a hangry husband on this trip so I want to be prepared
Potbelly in C is probably the best option for deli-style. A few other ideas:

If you're passing thru A, then Hubcap (burgers - local); if B, then Whataburger (burgers, local-ish to TX - but now owned by Chicago private equity). Both fine, but not worth a detour if you aren't passing through A/B.

Hugo's Cocina in D, across from Amex Centurion lounge (local Mexican chef - some tortas and burger-y type items, & tacos).
Old Oct 12, 2022, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by marks88
Potbelly in C is probably the best option for deli-style. A few other ideas:

If you're passing thru A, then Hubcap (burgers - local); if B, then Whataburger (burgers, local-ish to TX - but now owned by Chicago private equity). Both fine, but not worth a detour if you aren't passing through A/B.

Hugo's Cocina in D, across from Amex Centurion lounge (local Mexican chef - some tortas and burger-y type items, & tacos).
thank you so much!!!
Old Oct 12, 2022, 9:19 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Another vote for Tortas Fronteras at ORD. I do wish the location in Terminal 1 would start serving breakfast again.
Agreed - really miss Tortas for breakfast. Also really like Summer House between T1 and T2.
tcdtcd likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.