Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anyone aboard UAL 1701 LAS-EWR today,19 Jan 2022? diverted to LNK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2022, 10:03 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver

Was supposed to be LAS-EWR and diverted to LNK. Scanner traffic said smoke and possible fire. Looks they landed safely at least.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
We once got diverted to BFF due to weather. Not a great experience but better than the alternative. I'd imagine Linoln airport has more to offer.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Boraxo
We once got diverted to BFF due to weather. Not a great experience but better than the alternative. I'd imagine Linoln airport has more to offer.
Having had LNK as my home airport for a while, I can say yes LNK has more to offer than BFF. But that isn't saying much!
Old Jan 20, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by Boraxo
BFF was my home airport back in the 70s and early 80s. Yes, LNK has more to offer. Also one of the longest runways. Landed there once and the pilot never hit the brakes or reverse thrust.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I'd surmise that a plane diverting to LNK instead of very close by OMA must have had some sort of dire emergency that required them getting on the ground very fast.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
News article from Lincoln regarding the diversion. Must've been a fun few hours on the ground in LNK after an early morning LAS departure

https://journalstar.com/news/local/c...9cdbdada3.html
Old Jan 20, 2022, 2:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
key quotes from article
A United Airlines flight that had been traveling from Las Vegas to Newark, New Jersey, made an emergency landing Wednesday morning at the Lincoln Airport after the pilots smelled smoke in the cockpit.

The 737 aircraft, with 56 people on board, landed without incident just before 11 a.m. Wednesday, shortly after the pilots notified the Lincoln Airport that they intended to make an emergency landing.

Mechanics with Duncan Aviation were on hand to examine the original aircraft, though Barth said they hadn't yet determined the cause of the smoke smell.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FlightAware shows a 738 IAD-LNK yesterday, arriving at 3:59 PM CT. UA 2744.

Apparently, this plane overnighted - poor pax - and took off today as UA 3027, arriving EWR at 3:22 PM today.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by DenverBrian; Jan 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
Old Jan 21, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by qfrodo
BFF was my home airport back in the 70s and early 80s. Yes, LNK has more to offer. Also one of the longest runways. Landed there once and the pilot never hit the brakes or reverse thrust.
Yup on that long runway. You can land any plane you want there and it was an alternate for the space shuttle.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 12:06 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
FlightAware shows a 738 IAD-LNK yesterday, arriving at 3:59 PM CT. Interestingly, it had a "normal" flight number - 2744.
At the risk of sounding pedantic, flight numbers 27XX are reserved for repositioning flights and are not used in everyday scheduling.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
At the risk of sounding pedantic, flight numbers 27XX are reserved for repositioning flights and are not used in everyday scheduling.
Thanks! I'll edit my post.
MBS MillionMiler likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.