Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

My First Downside Of Living In a Hub City - higher nonstop fares

Old Jan 18, 2022, 4:33 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold

Well, I'm looking at flying to London and it seems the cheapest flight in Polaris is by leaving from LAX. Now the kicker is it connects in both directions in Denver. So the routing would be:
LAX -> DEN -> LHR and back. By flying back to LAX, I can save $736 per person vs leaving directly from DEN. How many others do something like this where you fly to another city only to come back and connect in your home hub city to save quite a bit of money? I'm not opposed to it since I can visit the Polaris Lounge in LAX and the sole United Club in DEN is currently a total CF.
justdorkin likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 4:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
Considering the cost and time spent going back and forth to LAX is it really worth it?
One thing you could do on the return, if the ticket rules allow for it:
  • Book LHR-DEN with a layover of X months in DEN
  • Hopefully there will be a scheduled change on the DEN-LAX flight and you can cancel it without penalty.
  • Or perhaps you might be able to use the DEN-LAX flight (in first class) for a separate trip.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well you're still originating in a UA hub, it's just that LAX is a much more competitive market than DEN. I've originated LAX quite a few times over SFO/PHX because the fares are often cheaper.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:01 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Well you're still originating in a UA hub, it's just that LAX is a much more competitive market than DEN. I've originated LAX quite a few times over SFO/PHX because the fares are often cheaper.
How do you do it? Do you go a day before or do you go the same day on 2 separate reservations?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by seat38a
How do you do it? Do you go a day before or do you go the same day on 2 separate reservations?
Depends on the connection time and consequences of a miss. I'll do same day on separate tix, but minimum connection of 2.5 to 3 hours. Reports are that UA will actually protect you on a miss on two separate UA tix, though I've never had to test that. It's really a PITA getting in and out of LAX so I do prefer same day. Though we overnighted for a QR flight to BKK last year.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 8:24 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by seat38a
Well, I'm looking at flying to London and it seems the cheapest flight in Polaris is by leaving from LAX. Now the kicker is it connects in both directions in Denver. So the routing would be:
LAX -> DEN -> LHR and back. By flying back to LAX, I can save $736 per person vs leaving directly from DEN. How many others do something like this where you fly to another city only to come back and connect in your home hub city to save quite a bit of money? I'm not opposed to it since I can visit the Polaris Lounge in LAX and the sole United Club in DEN is currently a total CF.
I am looking at a very similar issue on a flight on BA/AA to London from Seattle. It is about $500 cheaper per person for me to fly from Seattle to London to Amsterdam (then add a separate flight between AMS and London)then it is to Fly Seattle to LHR directly. Like even with the cost of the additional round trip baked in I am still going to save $500. It is a bit crazy, this may not be a hub issue but a tax issue with LHR though. Heathrow is weird.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by kbooks66
Like even with the cost of the additional round trip baked in I am still going to save $500. It is a bit crazy, this may not be a hub issue but a tax issue with LHR though.
1. The UK APD is assessed on LHR departures, not connections. You will pay much more in taxes flying on separate tix. Any overall savings will be based on the fare differential SEA-LHR vs. SEA-AMS.

2. BA will not check bags through at LHR on separate tickets. If you check a bag at SEA or AMS, you will have to enter the UK, retrieve your bag from the carousel, recheck it, and reclear immigration and security.

3. Personally I would pay several hundred dollars more to fly DL/KL nonstop vs. an LHR connection.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Did it all the time when I lived in CVG. Delta prices were through the roof. . I would drive to day/lex/sdf where fares were cheaper. The flight would then connect back through( Cvg.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 9:03 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

1. The UK APD is assessed on LHR departures, not connections. You will pay much more in taxes flying on separate tix. Any overall savings will be based on the fare differential SEA-LHR vs. SEA-AMS.

2. BA will not check bags through at LHR on separate tickets. If you check a bag at SEA or AMS, you will have to enter the UK, retrieve your bag from the carousel, recheck it, and reclear immigration and security.

3. Personally I would pay several hundred dollars more to fly DL/KL nonstop vs. an LHR connection.
So I am not flying to AMS, I am actually trying to fly to London, but for some reason it is $500 cheaper to fly through London go on to AMS then fly back to London. Essentially like a positioning flight, but in reverse. So basically I am booking a two round trips. One from Seattle to AMS, then a second set from AMS to London. It is super complicated, but it is a pretty last minute trip. It is just crazy (and terrible for the environment) that to save $500 I have to fly an extra four legs.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
I am looking at a very similar issue on a flight on BA/AA to London from Seattle. It is about $500 cheaper per person for me to fly from Seattle to London to Amsterdam (then add a separate flight between AMS and London)then it is to Fly Seattle to LHR directly. Like even with the cost of the additional round trip baked in I am still going to save $500. It is a bit crazy, this may not be a hub issue but a tax issue with LHR though. Heathrow is weird.
So I am not flying to AMS, I am actually trying to fly to London, but for some reason it is $500 cheaper to fly through London go on to AMS then fly back to London. Essentially like a positioning flight, but in reverse. So basically I am booking a two round trips. One from Seattle to AMS, then a second set from AMS to London. It is super complicated, but it is a pretty last minute trip. It is just crazy (and terrible for the environment) that to save $500 I have to fly an extra four legs.
You are not comparing like for like.

BA/AA have little or no competition on SEA - LHR direct therefore can charge a premium.

There is plenty of competition SEA - AMS with 1 stop, hence BA/AA have to be more competitive with their pricing.

Its nothing to do with U.K. air passenger duty or even hub related.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
All the time.

Most recently, I have flown from NY to DC via Chicago and SF.

I consider it an upside
SPN Lifer and trmbn65 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
I've done repositioning flights in the past, and expect to do them in my flights toward 3MM, especially if they increase the BIS miles. For instance, on my way back from IST next month, I'm flying IST-MUC-SFO-DEN rather than IST-FRA-DEN. I got a paid Business fare that was almost $2k less than using the DEN-FRA nonstops, and generates ~1500 more lifetime miles.
SPN Lifer, mmack and Markalta like this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 10:37 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by krispy84
You are not comparing like for like.

BA/AA have little or no competition on SEA - LHR direct therefore can charge a premium.

There is plenty of competition SEA - AMS with 1 stop, hence BA/AA have to be more competitive with their pricing.

Its nothing to do with U.K. air passenger duty or even hub related.
Its both demand and supply. Not only does BA/ AA have little competition into the UK, its also full of bankers, lawyers and high net worth individuals who are not price sensitive. Amsterdam meanwhile is full of Dutch people who routinely try to negotiate prices when buying in charity shops.
jamiel, cur, Air Houston and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Conversely, as a LAX resident, I have driven/flown to SAN/SBP to get a cheaper P fare to Europe (via LAX of course).
Old Jan 18, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Back in the good old Continental days, I'd often fly for half the price from my home airport ABQ connecting thru IAH, than leaving directly from IAH.
Doesn't seem to work as well from DFW for some reason.
I always wondered was it some CO thing? (I moved right around the time of the merge). Or something to do with DFW being an AA hub?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.