FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   1k preparing for a hard rough landing...... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2065701-1k-preparing-hard-rough-landing.html)

trust77 Jan 19, 2022 6:39 pm

i think whats most important is your safety; your health. this game will be around and you can always return to it when you're ready. don't stress out about it.

mfirst Jan 19, 2022 7:28 pm

Not just safety or health but sanity. Don’t want to get political but many of my reasons for traveling in the past don’t exist anymore as everything is going virtual

halls120 Jan 19, 2022 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by mfirst (Post 33915916)
I can understand the mindset of buying up to F - and all of the options for upgrading with $$$ these days (although I do recall an offer years ago EWR-DEL to upgrade at check-in for about $600 maybe with some miles also from econ to BF...couldnt pass that up... but the question then is how much of a premium is it worth to upgrade.... $1000 to $6000 for a TATL of 6-8 hours - even on a full polaris experience is kinda hard to justify?

I’ve been using miles to upgrade into business for over a decade. The last time I did it (August 2021) was 20000 miles and $350, and it was well worth it to have a comfortable seat for 9 hours.

StuckinITH Jan 20, 2022 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by mfirst (Post 33918157)
Not just safety or health but sanity. Don’t want to get political but many of my reasons for traveling in the past don’t exist anymore as everything is going virtual

My wife and I have not been travelling since March 2020. We are safe and healthy. However, I have to say that to regain our sanity we need to go back to our five international trips per year. I promise that, if we manage to go back to our normal schedule, I will never again complain that United switched us out of our preferred seats. I will not complain about the food, the Champagne, the boarding process and all the other things I used to complain about. Let's hope that 2022 will be the year that we will travel again.

trmbn65 Jan 20, 2022 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by mfirst (Post 33909241)
I have been a Premier member for several decades, 1k for the past 6 (20k PQP in 2021) ....about 800k BIS and up until COVID was on track for 1m in a few years......but it seems so much has changed that it is unclear if I will ever get back to my previous traveling habits.....

most of my major traveling - international - was a combination of my money and OPM for meetings/conferences/lectures - trips sometimes not much more than zipping in for a long weekend (36 hours in Bangalore, India from my home in Ohio)... and a lot of domestic longer flights- again for similar reasons.... toss in a few vacations (although some of these meetings have some personal down time)... even some of the more important work-related travel is becoming less and less

fast forward now......

INT traveling appears to be such a hit and miss - and especially if not entirely needed for key work activities (my global hosts are less excited about the risks of bring in people and many of the activities that were done in person - i.e. lectures - are being done virtually) - dealing with visa's, COVID testing, vaccinations (which I am x3), etc - not to mention the costs and growing unpredictability of canceling flights for all sorts of reasons and the difficulty in predictable scheduling (even short domestic hub flights)..... planning for trips is becoming more of a problem, risk of getting stuck somewhere (COVID or other reason) is not easy.....

and yes, I miss the traveling, the challenges of figuring out the equations of flights, connections, upgrades, lounge access.... the perks of *G and UA BF travel.....

my points - and interested in other's comments....... will be lucky to make silver this year....... so far, nothing is planned for the year..... maybe just not worth the headaches anymore?

-michael

I am based in Ohio as well. In 2019, I spent about 1 week per month abroad, on average. All over Europe, Africa, and Asia. It was the first year I qualified for 1K (I had only reached gold before that). Even with domestic trave, I hit nowhere near as many miles. In fact, most of my "long" flights for the year are seeing my sister and nephew in Seattle. I don't stress over status anymore. Whatever I get, I get. Yes it is nice to have but some extra legroom and some upgrades sometimes are not worth the stress. I just travel for work now when a customer needs me on-site and if nobody needs me (or I can do the work remotely), then I enjoy working from home (which my cat enjoys).

mfirst Jan 21, 2022 1:11 pm

trmbn65,
yes, my feelings exactly - having had my share of window (and sometimes middle) seats on longer flights or cramped into smaller planes, the "thrill" of the upgrade is diminished..... dont get me wrong, wouldnt turn it down and prefer up front vs in the back...... but just not worth the stress anymore.... might be a long time before I struggle with FRA silliness again

-m