Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2022 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2022, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ALGU
Link

• 2022 MileagePlus Premier Promotion terms and conditions
  • Status period:
    1. For members who currently hold 2021 Premier ® status and purchase the same or lower Premier status level in 2022, your 2022 Premier status level will be effective on the later of the following two dates: (i) February 1, 2022, or (ii) 5-7 business days after the purchase date, and will be in effect through January 31, 2023, unless a higher status is earned.
    2. If you do not have Premier status and you purchase 2022 Premier Silver status, or if you hold 2021 Premier status and you purchase a higher status level than your current Premier status, you will receive the higher 2022 Premier status level within 5-7 business days of the purchase date and your higher status level will be in effect through January 31, 2023, unless a higher status is earned
  • Purchase terms and conditions:
    1. Offer is for select MileagePlus members and only the original recipient of this offer is eligible to participate.
    2. Premier status purchased with this offer is nonrefundable.
    3. Offer valid for purchase between January 18, 2022 and March 4, 2022 .
    4. Must be a MileagePlus member to participate in this offer.
    5. Premier status is sold in U.S. dollars through this offer.
    6. Premier status is nontransferable.
    7. Other restrictions apply.
    8. Pricing is based on how close the member’s 2021 Premier qualifying activity is to reaching the 2022 Premier status qualification requirements, as well as other criteria.
    9. Offer and fees may vary by member and are subject to change without notice.
    10. Premier status purchased through this offer will be posted to the account of the member listed on the purchase page within 5-7 business days of the purchase date.
  • Miles accrued, awards, and benefits issued are subject to change and are subject to the rules of the United MileagePlus®program, including without limitation the Premier® program, (the "MileagePlus Program"), which are expressly incorporated herein. United® may change the MileagePlus Program including, but not limited to, rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers or terminate the MileagePlus Program at any time and without notice. United and its subsidiaries, affiliates and agents are not responsible for any products or services of other participating companies and partners. United and MileagePlus are registered service marks. For complete details about the MileagePlus Program, go to united.com.

Past years offers
    January 2013 17 Jan 2013
    January 2014 13 Jan 2014
    January 2015 12 Jan 2015
    January 2016 19 Jan 2016
    2017 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2016) 20 Jan 2017
    2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017) 24 Jan 2018,
    2019 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2018)-- 11 Jan 2019
    2020 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2019) 10 January 2020
    2021 Status Buy up (Now available) 13 January 2021

Print Wikipost

2022 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
    • 9,865 Total PQP
    • 12 Total PQF
    • Premier Platinum 2022 status earned
    • Upgrade to 1K $6147
    Applying the upgrade $$ to F tickets this year
    DELee and twomonger like this.
    Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: UA
    2022 Status Buy up Offer

First seen this morning (I guess posted at the same time as the PQP bonuses from status), an offer to upgrade to Premier Gold for $3700. For reference, I had 3262 PQPs and 10 PQFs last year. Also noteworthy is that the offer is only available through March 4th.
    Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:46 am

• 2000 PQP
    • Gold
    • Upgrade to Plat $6.6K (GEEZ)
    Old Feb 10, 2022, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
    Smile 1K Status Upgrade Offer

• 10,487 Total PQPs
    • 22 Total PQF
    • Premier Platinum 2022 status earned
    • Upgrade to 1K $6,665
    Is it worth making UA a counter-offer for say, $1,500 ?
    Old Feb 10, 2022, 3:34 pm
    Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
    Originally Posted by gpicur
    Is it worth making UA a counter-offer for say, $1,500 ?
    You jest I hope. There is no such thing as counter offers for status.
    Old Feb 10, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: United Airlines
    Originally Posted by maxim730
    • 2000 PQP
    • Gold
    • Upgrade to Plat $6.6K (GEEZ)
    Unless you had Gold through MM status you should actually feel fortunate you were able to qualify for Gold with so few PQPs, even if it was just through promotions. There are several examples of people in here who were much closer to the threshold but were left with silver.
    Old Feb 13, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 3MM, Marriott LTTE
    So my offer to go from Platinum to 1k - $9618
    my lifetime miles 2,987,500….

any suggestions on which path to take 😀
    twomonger likes this.
    Old Feb 13, 2022, 8:47 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
    Originally Posted by MRY Flyer

Neither. Simply start all over on another airline.

David

p.s. Unless you fly, 1K won't matter. Depending on how long you've been at 2.9MM (i.e. if you've been stalled there for the past 2 years or simply where you ended up at the start of 2022), if your company isn't flying, then a small investment to earn 12.5K BIS is on you.
    Old Feb 13, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
    Originally Posted by MRY Flyer

For $9618 you could literally purchase an itinerary consisting of 12,500 lifetime miles to put you into the lifetime 1K category. In particular, two returns on SFO > LHR could get you there for ~$1000

-RooFlyer88
    ExplorerWannabe and twomonger like this.
    Old Feb 13, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
    lowly UA Silver here, and only via Bonvoyed Titanium at that.

2021 PQF: 4
    2021 PQD: 2,180
    (all from a TK round-trip J ticket)
    upgrade offer to Premier Gold: $4,500

I work for one of the US3 and don't really have a penchant for buying confirmed Y tickets domestically. it's either WFBF, or I just nonrev. for 4500 bucks I could treat myself to several F class tickets each year, enjoy the flights up front AND earn miles while I do it, even if it didn't result in me reaching gold organically. so i think this will be a hard pass for me 🤣 sorry UA.
    Old Feb 13, 2022, 8:53 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
    Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
    lowly UA Silver here, and only via Bonvoyed Titanium at that.

2021 PQF: 4
    2021 PQD: 2,180
    (all from a TK round-trip J ticket)
    upgrade offer to Premier Gold: $4,500

I work for one of the US3 and don't really have a penchant for buying confirmed Y tickets domestically. it's either WFBF, or I just nonrev. for 4500 bucks I could treat myself to several F class tickets each year, enjoy the flights up front AND earn miles while I do it, even if it didn't result in me reaching gold organically. so i think this will be a hard pass for me 🤣 sorry UA.
    Given the number of flights you take with UA, you're quite right in saying it makes little sense to purchase up to Premier Gold. Pre-pandemic I was flying UA dozens of times per year and back then having UA Gold made a ton of sense given how often I'd be checking bags, selecting Economy+ seats on long haul routes and accessing the lounges. I also suspect that if you have status with another airline, you could probably get that status for a lot less than $4,500!

As for your signature regarding the timezone of Detroit, and as someone who grew up around that area (and have travelled through DTW), you'd be surprised how many people get that wrong. The Eastern time zone covers quite a large geography, and even then there's still central, mountain and pacific timezones at least in the lower 48, to say nothing of the edge cases like Arizona. As for which US3 you work for, if I were to hazard a guess it would likely be the airline that was named after the COVID variant (previously named after a direction on a compass).

-RooFlyer88
    Old Feb 14, 2022, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
    I just got an offer in the mail to buy up to Silver for $1290. I took 6 trips on United last year with no status, mostly between SFO and PDX.

My husband who flew with me on all but one of those trips got an offer for $1800.

Who is accepting these ridiculous offers?
    Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:51 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFflyer20
    I just got an offer in the mail to buy up to Silver for $1290. I took 6 trips on United last year with no status, mostly between SFO and PDX.

My husband who flew with me on all but one of those trips got an offer for $1800.

Who is accepting these ridiculous offers?
    People with money to spend on maintaining status without flying.

David
    Repooc17 likes this.
    Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:04 pm

Programs: United Airlines
    Originally Posted by DELee
    People with money to spend on maintaining status without flying.

David
    Also some edge cases are pretty reasonable, particularly if it's a close buy-up (<$500) to a big step up, like Silver -> Gold or Plat -> 1K
    Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:23 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by twomonger
    Also some edge cases are pretty reasonable, particularly if it's a close buy-up (<$500) to a big step up, like Silver -> Gold or Plat -> 1K
    No disagreement. However, the 2022 buyup offers have, as shown in this thread, been pretty egregious in the prices that were given.

David
    twomonger and SFflyer20 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.