Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mainland/Hawaii same day turn for unvaccinated?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2022, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million

Would i be allowed to fly from mainland to HNL on Day 1, stay inside HNL and depart HNL for mainland also on Day 1, given my unvaccinated status?
Old Jan 14, 2022, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by AAJetMan
Would i be allowed to fly from mainland to HNL on Day 1, stay inside HNL and depart HNL for mainland also on Day 1, given my unvaccinated status?
Yes. Just need to present negative test result. Check the below for additional details:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements
Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
UA seems to indicate you will just need a negative COVID test before boarding your flight to HI.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/US/fly...tions-map.html
Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
It's possible if you have a boarding pass for the flight departing Honolulu that day. Vaccination cards are checked at bars and reataurants currently (and the United Club), so going into town for a meal or drink is out, and would be against the emergency orders if they've verbally allowed you to remain at airport (although enforcement is difficult). The quarantine people will look at you like you're mentally unbalanced or a fool, but w/ an explanation for your travel behavior, you should be good
Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume op want to do MR turnaround without vax or test. Should work imo.
I don't think airlines check exemption status on the way to HI but not sure how hnl handles arrival check - do they corral ppl near individual gates or check at security exit.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
UA seems to indicate you will just need a negative COVID test before boarding your flight to HI.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/US/fly...tions-map.html
UA doesn't require anything in terms of PCR test or vax documents to board a flight - the State of Hawaii does require one or another to avoid quarantine. United just requires you to indicate that you're not feeling ill. Anyone without a PCR test or vaccination record can get on a UA flight if they indicate they're not feeling ill - the consequences of not having a test or vaccinations is felt on the other end.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 14, 2022 at 9:38 pm
Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It's possible if you have a boarding pass for the flight departing Honolulu that day. Vaccination cards are checked at bars and reataurants currently (and the United Club), so going into town for a meal or drink is out, and would be against the emergency orders if they've verbally allowed you to remain at airport (although enforcement is difficult). The quarantine people will look at you like you're mentally unbalanced or a fool, but w/ an explanation for your travel behavior, you should be good
Thank you! Since I would not be allowed into the United Club i will find some mainland routes to burn my miles.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
I assume op want to do MR turnaround without vax or test. Should work imo.
I don't think airlines check exemption status on the way to HI but not sure how hnl handles arrival check - do they corral ppl near individual gates or check at security exit.
It varies. Most UA arrivals go into what was called the DIamond Head concourse and the Q people catch all arrivees to that concourse at/along the breezeway heading to the main terminal. UA occasionally uses a couple of gate areas outside of the Diamand Head concourse and the Q people set up in those individual gate holding areas.
mander likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you! Since I would not be allowed into the United Club i will find some mainland routes to burn my miles.
The HNL UC is very diligent about the vaccinations cards. Had the pleasure of standing behind an angry family a couple of weeks ago (actually just the wife displayed anger) about being denied entry without proofs of vaccinations - "But we all got Covid tests before we came to Hawaii last week!"
Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The HNL UC is very diligent about the vaccinations cards. Had the pleasure of standing behind an angry family a couple of weeks ago (actually just the wife displayed anger) about being denied entry without proofs of vaccinations - "But we all got Covid tests before we came to Hawaii last week!"
I get 100% get asked to see vax proof.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:21 pm

Same day turn around to burn miles instead of earn miles. Now that's interesting.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747SP
Same day turn around to burn miles instead of earn miles. Now that's interesting.
Got 150k burning a hole in my pocket. 😊
Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Got 150k burning a hole in my pocket. 😊
You do understand they don’t expire? If you want to burn miles for sake of burning miles, buy something worthwhile with them such as merchandise.
Doppy, nnn and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
You do understand they don’t expire? If you want to burn miles for sake of burning miles, buy something worthwhile with them such as merchandise.
GREAT idea!!! I am seeing a balcony suite on a cruise!! Could supplement with Chase points... Thank you COSPILOT!
Old Jan 14, 2022, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just keep in mind vaccination requirements for cruise ships.
wrp96, chavala and etiene like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.