Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mainland/Hawaii same day turn for unvaccinated?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mainland/Hawaii same day turn for unvaccinated?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2022, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by TomMM
Just keep in mind vaccination requirements for cruise ships.
Rats!! Seeing that now.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
If you want to lose the value of your miles, why not just hold on to them for a few years?
Old Jan 14, 2022, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
If the miles are somehow burning a hole in your account. https://www.mileageplusawards.com You can exchange it for physical stuff quite easily.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 12:22 am

Programs: UA MM, Marriott LT Plat
Or consider donating them https://donate.mileageplus.com/
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by B747SP
Same day turn around to burn miles instead of earn miles. Now that's interesting.
“Interesting” is an understatement. I can’t wrap my head around why anyone would do this???
nnn, notquiteaff and Gertjaars like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by chavala
“Interesting” is an understatement. I can’t wrap my head around why anyone would do this???
This is normal behavior for FT standards. One time I traveled from NY to DC via the west coast.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
This is normal behavior for FT standards. One time I traveled from NY to DC via the west coast.
No, not really. Many on FT do mileage runs or take a longer route (more segments) in order to attain/maintain status via paid tickets. Very few FTers would burn 150K award miles, which do not expire, to simply do a same day turn to HNL airport and thus earn nothing from it...

Regards
Old Jan 15, 2022, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I don't know what the setup is for UA HNL arrivals, but on my 2 AS arrivals from the mainland, the authorities kept the arrivals segregated from the departing pax in the gate area, and made sure we either had a wristband so we could exit into the general population, or no wristband, to go for further processing (i.e., doc verification or sent to quarantine).

With a negative HI-approved PCR, compliance with HI regulations online, and an airline that provides wristbands, a same day turn is feasible. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I flew YYZ-IAH-HNL-SFO in October (to complete FttF on a distance based earning bulk ticket) with just an antigen test that was required for US entry, meaning I didnt have anything required at the time for Hawaii (PCR test for foreigners)

My luggage was checked all the way thru, there were no checks prior to boarding to HNL or on arrival, simply got off the plane from IAH, went to United Club for a snack (they did seem strict about the vax cert checking ), and got on my flight to SFO.

Not the same scenario as an unvaxxed - but transit in HNL is definitely possible on United.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
No, not really. Many on FT do mileage runs or take a longer route (more segments) in order to attain/maintain status via paid tickets. Very few FTers would burn 150K award miles, which do not expire, to simply do a same day turn to HNL airport and thus earn nothing from it...

Regards
I was talking about the general behavior of people's passion of flying. I have done my share of MR flights (both award and paid), and often having to position somewhere on miles.

Valuation of UA miles has dropped quite a bit in recent years following the switch to dynamic, and even without expiration dates, the value has been trending the wrong way.

OP has a number of options to burn UA miles, as it's been shared here. I would fly, even if just to get out the house for a day/weekend.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 15, 2022 at 10:59 am Reason: removed quote and response to deleted post
Old Jan 15, 2022, 11:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A reminder, critiquing of a poster's vaccination status is not a topic for this forum as there is no legal requirement for domestic travelers to be vaccinated (disagreement with that is a topic for other forums). The subject here is what are the options for this particular traveler to use their awards miles.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
DJ_Iceman and danielflyer like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Also if some of your miles were obtained via United Chase credit cards and you still have a United Chase card, you can exchange the miles for paid United tickets which would earn status via MP Choices. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...5-forward.html
Old Jan 15, 2022, 2:04 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by scubadu
It's definitely happened, though. I can think of a well-known blogger back in the day. In this case, unless the OP will truly get substantial enjoyment out of the flight, or plans to blog about the flight, I agree it would be a waste since the miles can be kept alive.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plenty of reports of airlines selling (and people buying) flights to nowhere - I recall a recent one in SIN for example.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
As mentioned above, it’s doable. You’ll sign an order not to leave the airport. Make sure you buffer enough time for questioning and processing of the order by the state. Some media reports exists of fool travelers being significantly fined for violating the order, so don’t attempt it. You won’t be able to enter clubs or restaurants at the airport, but take out food is possible.

I hope you find a better way to spend your miles. Aloha!
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.