Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: st530
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).
GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Last year's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2021]

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Quote:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number with fastest pickup times, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (PlusPoints or miles) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
  • Effective January 2021, GS members who do not have a United Club membership may access United Clubs on domestic itineraries, but no guests are permitted.
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

Most benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with PlusPoints if PN inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Can now be completed online/via the app, in most circumstances.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade (miles/co-pay or PlusPoints) within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service for one segment of the itinerary with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (PlusPoints or miles) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased, and for one segment in the itinerary, per caveats noted below. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy. (Note: VIP Lounges in NRT and HKG remain closed due to Covid-19; LHR VIP now open.)
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits
  • Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
  • According to GS Customer Service, a GS on a paid coach fare using an instrument will clear into Polaris business before a lower-status passenger with a paid PremiumPlus fare (i.e. O, A, R). In other words, for example, a paid O, A, R for a 1K will not give higher priority than a GS with a W fare if both are using 40 PlusPoints. This is true even on the gate waitlist.
  • Post 12/12/2019, agents have been instructed that they can only grant a companion exception for one segment per round trip journey. Thus, if you have a roundtrip premium fare, they will only open saver space, or force an upgrade, for one segment. This means you must either waitlist (if upgrading) or use a standard award, for the remaining segments.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Old Nov 22, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by meducate
I find the whole LHR team to be awesome. That ride is worth $1,000 IMHO!!!
Good boarding. Good everything. I did the ORD-LHR 2 days ago. London-based flight crews are the best. There was a French-speaking FA who was absolutely outstanding. My goodness. I would actually be loyal to United if they were all like that.
Dyce likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
is GS a thing of the past?
No, if anything it's becoming more official, as they actually acknowledge GS exists on their website now (whereas before it would be "an unpublished status may have other benefits"). Probably isn't showing up properly in their system, MP account number not properly saved or a string of bad flights with regards to preboarding/service.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
On my last few flights, including today's at DEN, there was no GS preboarding. Went from military to 1k.

On board, there's no recognition of status at all. No one says "thank you for being a global" anymore.

Food/drink orders taken without regard to status.

During PDB time, I asked for a drink but was told they need to get 1k drink requests out of the way first.

I could see a goof-up on 1 flight where stuff goes awry, but this has been my experience for the last 6 flights.

When it comes to gate and inflight service, is GS a thing of the past?
Nope - just the only consistency with United which is in not meeting base-level expectations
Could be new hires or folks who have not been well trained with the rapid expansion back to typical flight capacity and frequency.

Actually kidding as I've generally received perfunctory GS service in the last couple months with the exception of PHL which has old-school, above-and-beyond GS service.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 12:16 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
On my last few flights, including today's at DEN, there was no GS preboarding. Went from military to 1k.

On board, there's no recognition of status at all. No one says "thank you for being a global" anymore.

When it comes to gate and inflight service, is GS a thing of the past?
DEN is the only hub where I have experienced no GS pre-boarding call and it has happened several times in the last 5 years. I asked one GA why she called "1K and above" and she said "I saw there was only GS and thought why bother".

I understand how you feel about being GS on board, there is no difference in service unless an FA chooses to recognize you with a thank you. I find it is only the more sociable and experienced FAs who bother with a special thank you.

Travel across the board has taken so many service hits. UA is not the best but also not the worst. I am hoping things will normalize in 2023.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
May I check recent experience on upgrade as GS companion?

I am in paid Polaris while my partner is in paid economy and currently on upgrade list. Does UA still allow instant upgrade for GS companion? For one flight or entire itinerary?

thanks
Old Nov 23, 2022, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
May I check recent experience on upgrade as GS companion?

I am in paid Polaris while my partner is in paid economy and currently on upgrade list. Does UA still allow instant upgrade for GS companion? For one flight or entire itinerary?

thanks
Yes allowed for one segment of the itinerary to push it through when J > 2. and requested more than 24 hours in advance. You will run into agents, with increasing frequency, who insist it needs to be within 72 hours, but that is not the case when you as the GS passenger are already in a paid J fare.
wxguy likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by kb1992
I don't have a problem using my GS PP to upgrade a mileage ticket even if the miles are from a non-status pax.
Thanks for the data point. Is this done online/app or call agent to request?
Old Nov 24, 2022, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
can give trouble online, but w/ calling it works
Old Nov 24, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM+, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, & Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Yes allowed for one segment of the itinerary to push it through when J > 2. and requested more than 24 hours in advance. You will run into agents, with increasing frequency, who insist it needs to be within 72 hours, but that is not the case when you as the GS passenger are already in a paid J fare.
Second that, and have two recent experiences with situation you described - one BOS-LHR, another BOS-SFO and they prospectively upgraded it (months and weeks in advance) at time of booking. Had excellent GS agents in both case who knew what they were doing.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K/AF Plat/Marriott Titanium/Hertz PC (who isn't?)/National Exec Elite/CFA Signature
Would this apply if the non-GS companion is booked in X?
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Always use app/online.

Never call.
uanj and PanAmWT like this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Gate45
If the miles are from a GS account, yes
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
If the miles are from a GS account, yes
Originally Posted by Gate45
I tested. As long as PP is from a GS account, you can upgrade an award ticket in X or XN.

The miles can come from a non-status account. The traveler can be anyone.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by kb1992
I tested. As long as PP is from a GS account, you can upgrade an award ticket in X or XN.

The miles can come from a non-status account. The traveler can be anyone.
thats good to hear!

X = partner as well?
That would be surprising
Old Nov 24, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
thats good to hear!

X = partner as well?
That would be surprising
I only tested bookings using UA miles on UA flights.

Not sure what would happen if you use AC/CA/SQ/NH/LH miles to book into X class on United ...

If anyone has such a ticket, I can give it a try

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.